Anyone else have an Attic Fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
This place we just moved in to has one. Yesterday was cool enough that I shut off the a/c, turned on the attic fan, and started opening some windows. The first window I opened had a major breeze coming through. I opened a couple windows in the back of the house, away from the attic fan, and the house was comfortable all night.

Of course, this morning, after the cold front came through, it was nice and CHILLY in the house. I've shut the windows, turned off the attic fan, and put on A SWEATER!

I can definitely see us using the attic fan when the temps are favorable.

Before I remodeled my upstairs there was a huge window fan at the end of the hall. I took it out to put in a bathroom. I miss having it at times, but still enjoy using it in my 'shop' next to the house...

We have a small house but two attic fans, one over our bedroom and one over the garage.

They keepp the attics from becoming 120 degrees in the summer. They are both on thermostats, which are cheap, so we generally don't manually turn them on or off.

Hmmm, auntdot, I have something different. Mine is an "exhaust" fan, so to speak, mounted into the ceiling in the hallway in the front part of the house (the original part). It draws air out of the habitable part of the house, and into the attic, where it's forced out through the vents in the roof and eaves. Basically, open a few windows, turn this fan on, and it will draw air in through the open windows. I use it by opening the windows in the back part of the house (newer addition), in two bedrooms and the utility room, and the fan draws air though the entire house this was.

Tonight is supposed to get so cool that I'll probably shut all but one, maybe two of the windows, turn the fan on low, and leave those windows open just a little bit, so we aren't freezing in the morning (lower 50's upper 40's).

AllenOK, I have an attic fan, but it's set up differently from yours. It's actually in the attic wall--which is a stand up, properly floored type. It is able to exhaust the air from everywhere in the house, and allows me to not use A/C nearly all of the time. My grandfather put it in, and it is on the order of a small barn fan--about 2-1/2 feet across. I would immediately install a fan like mine into any place I ever moved. I find that judicious use of curtains against the hot sun and the fan in the evening mostly eliminates the need for any other cooling, even in the hot NJ weather.

I've got one too. Aren't they great??
Mine is a little loud, but, not unbearable. Sounds kinda like a generator. You have to watch your doors though. If I don't put something in front of mine, they close from the wind coming through. LOL.

Oh, mine is also in the ceiling. I think the people that converted the doublewide installed it to also help cool the attic. Our home is completely enclosed in siding and a compositve roof which gave it an attic above so and the fan helps cool the house and cool the attic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom