No-knead sourdough bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScratchThat

Assistant Cook
Hey y'all,

I just read through the entire thread in regards to folks attempting the NYTimes "no knead" bread recipe. It seems that everyone is using the instant yeast. I'm interested to find out if anyone else has attempted this recipe using sourdough starter. I tried it this past weekend and it bombed big time -- It did not rise the second time, did not spring in the oven (about 2 inches high, ick), and, worst of all, was STUCK, BIG TIME to the bottom of my Le Creuset. Meaning, it was completely inextricable. Trying to pry it out would have broken a wooden spoon!

Has anyone found success trying this recipe using sourdough starter? I'm interested in your experiences.

UGH! Sounds like an experience you don't want to repeat. No help here from me, but just wanted to say I'm interested in the replies too.

I do the no knead almost every weekend. I bake mine in a cast iron Dutch oven, using both the pre-heated and the cold oven method. My DO is seasoned well and I do not have a sticking problem. One solution might be to proof your dough on parchment paper and lift it into the pot by the parchment paper. I find the bread rises better if I do not "plop" it into the DO, but gently set it down.
I have also experimented with other recipes by substituting a quarter cup of starter for every 1/4 tablespoon of yeast specified.

Having been given gracious permission - if you use Yahoo, go to the groups section and look for the sourdough group. There are lots of experienced bakers and some rank beginners (like me). Advice is freely given and don't be afraid to ask questions.
I also use Welcome to the Fresh Loaf | The Fresh Loaf which is a great baking site and Bread Baking Instructional Videos and Baking Supplies. which has sourdough recipes for the no knead method and he has several very good videos you can watch to master the technique. Another I use is www.sourdoughome.com.
Hope this helps.

Bob
p.s. I just checked out the above links after I posted and they work.

I do the no knead almost every weekend. I bake mine in a cast iron Dutch oven, using both the pre-heated and the cold oven method. My DO is seasoned well and I do not have a sticking problem. One solution might be to proof your dough on parchment paper and lift it into the pot by the parchment paper. I find the bread rises better if I do not "plop" it into the DO, but gently set it down.
I have also experimented with other recipes by substituting a quarter cup of starter for every 1/4 tablespoon of yeast specified.

Thanks for your reply! I do have some questions for you.

First, when you proof on parchment, does this mean you're also baking on it? Meaning, you lift the parchment and set it inside your DO (with the dough on top of it) and then put the lid on?

Second, how wet is your dough when it goes into the DO? Mine was so sloppy wet that I could not have picked it up with my hands.

Go to Breadtopia.com
He has a video that you can watch using a starter for the no-knead bread!

Go to Breadtopia.com
He has a video that you can watch using a starter for the no-knead bread!

I saw the video and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Good stuff!

And he gave me a whole bunch of products that I now want to buy. I already have three cruddy-looking sets of plastic shelves in my kitchen area just to hold all my kitchen junk! Will it ever end? (No, duh.)

No, it never ends. I had to buy another 3 shelve book case just to store my flours.

To answer your question about baking on the parchment paper, yes, I just leave enough around the dough to grab on to, lower it into the DO and bake away.

Most of the doughs in the no knead type are rather slack (wet). I find it makes for better crumb (larger holes). But, so far anyway, don't expect a huge oven spring (rise). At least mine don't. I even do a Jewish Rye in mine that is great. If you would like the link, let me know.

If breadtopia.com's videos were on a dvd, I would have worn the sucker out by now!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom