Cornbread mix....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
I was pleasantly surprised. This weekend I cooked some of my chili (steak/scotch chili) and jalapeño cornbread for a group I belong to.

I picked up the "add water only" cornbread mix from GFS. I figured it would just be "OK". I added some diced jalapeño peppers and drizzled some honey over the top before I baked it. Wow, terrific corn bread for the price and ease of cooking. Just goes to show, sometimes cheap and easy is the way to go!!!

I have to agree: I think cornbread is one of those things that you can still make great when most of the work is done for you. Personally, I love Jiffy Brand cornbread mix. It's like 35 cents per box and makes a good portion of cornbread, plus it's a simple recipe, and therefore easy to add additional flavors to. I like to add butter and honey, or another of my favorites is herbed cornbread; I think rosemary cornbread works great with a simple roasted chicken or turkey.

I almost always make my cornbread from scratch, but when I'm pressed for time, I use Jiffy mix. It's pretty good and, as college_cook said, quite inexpensive. Sometimes it goes on sale here at 4/$1. Can't beat that.

Marie Callender has a corn bread mix in a cannister, with the jalopy peppers already added. :chef:

I've made a lot of Jiffy cornbread in the past and like it a lot. I most often make my own. It's about as easy as it gets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom