Anyone here ever have a Heart Attack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope I haven't but both my grandfathers passed away from heart disease, my mom's brother had one when he was 42... so I try to eat somewhat healthy (even though I don't keep myself from anything).. and try to exercise.

Juliev said:
Nope I haven't but both my grandfathers passed away from heart disease, my mom's brother had one when he was 42... so I try to eat somewhat healthy (even though I don't keep myself from anything).. and try to exercise.

My goal for this week is to go back to the gym.

there is so much in my family, you wouldn't believe.. my mom had cancer when she was my age.. so did her sister, but she was 37... I'm doomed!

Juliev said:
there is so much in my family, you wouldn't believe.. my mom had cancer when she was my age.. so did her sister, but she was 37... I'm doomed!

Just make sure you go for checkups every 6 months.

well, stop it then!! you're a sweet person and we want you around for a long time!

A friend of mine just offered to give me a treadmill that his wife never uses. It will be great to have one here about home to use on those snowy days. I use the one at work, but it is always not convenient to drive over there. My boss lets us exercise 2-3 times a week on the clock in the winter time. That is great because in the winter I am usually glued to my chair in front of the computer. Today, I got plenty of exercise slogging through 3 feet of snow at about 7,000 feet in elevation.

I was in the hospital for 5 days earlier this year with heart attack symptoms. After all the testing, dr. said it may be just stress. I have lost 25 pounds since then and plan on losing at least 25 more. I want to live to see my grandson graduate from high school in 2 years and to celebrate my 50th wedding anniversery in 26 years. Bang, start exercising. I want to be able to talk to you for a long, long time.....wasabi

Wasabi, how did you lose your weight? I'm at the computer all day every day and my body looks like a sack of potatoes (to me, anyway!) I have thirty pounds to lose to get down to a size 8, which is where I want to be. I ride the Health Rider in the morning and drink my water, but...

Okay, if you guys are serious about this...

My wife endured a stroke this year in March or April, we can't be sure of the date...after very much "testing" and "proving" the cardioligist says she has a remarkably good heart (I could have told him that!) but sometimes, in his words "these things happen"...

So she has been off work six months (note my recipes for beans and the like reflect both the higher fiber and the lower budget, but!) has needed to pump some iron and do some walking and treadmill/stepper stuff to get back into shape and endurance....(yes I know "round" is a shape...its not a good one) but she's giving it the best...

So plan on knocking off the salt and calories as best you can, and just enjoying the heck out of those you can budget into the menu...

Audeo and I have "gotten into it" with salt versus iodine on other threads, and ruefully note that even my sea-salt is iodised...

On a radio show today, to "walk off" a Mickey Dee Big Mac, Shake and Fries, you are walking 9 MILES at a brisk pace!

You CANNOT lose it without exercise, and in my own opinion, you have to reduce the sugar and salt as well; upgrade the water intake a lot more, and choose your calories... note that we eat pasta with no meat at least once a week in the belief that this may help...

Lifter

thier1754 said:
Wasabi, how did you lose your weight? I'm at the computer all day every day and my body looks like a sack of potatoes (to me, anyway!) I have thirty pounds to lose to get down to a size 8, which is where I want to be. I ride the Health Rider in the morning and drink my water, but...
I know this is a bad word for some of you, but this is the ONLY way besides pills that I have been able to lose weight.....low-carb. I just stay away from sugar, white bread ,white rice and potatoes. DH and I do alot of walking on the week ends and I use a stepper on week days. Dr. said if I keep this up, he will lower my doseage on my blood pressure pills. My cholesterol is the lowest it's ever been. Good luck to you thier1754, it aint easy.....wasabi

the only person to ever have a heart attack in my family was my grandfather. he died from a severe one last year. they think it
was from his heart being enlarged from his blood pressure being
so high. what really scared me is i had high bp for many years.
about 5 days after my grandfather's funeral, i went to the doctor to
finally get some help. he did an ekg and my heart is enlarged as well.
so he puts me on meds right then and there. i went to see him every 2 weeks until my bp was under control. now i only have to see him every few months. my sister works for him and he's always having her call me
just to see how i am and how i'm feeling and if i have any problems with my meds. now THAT'S a good doctor imo. next we'll be working on my weight... at the time he was more concerned with my bp. understandable.

Lifter, LOL! You're one of the nicest fellows I've ever had the pleasure of "getting into it" with! And your wife is fortunate, indeed, to have your care.

Bang, I first congratulate you on seven years! I presume that you have been a "good patient" and continue regular exams and labs with your primary care doctor and cardiologist. And I'm hopefully preaching to the choir by saying how important it is to be evaluated by a doctor to determine what we call "functional capacity" prior to beginning an exercise regime. Beyond merely revealing your present heart health and status of atherosclerosis and enzyme levels, it will serve as the basis for formulating an exercise plan "tailored" to delivering the best results possible.

In this area, at least, a new breed of health clubs has been born just for us over the age of forty. Instead of gyms devoted strictly to producing hard, shiny muscles, we now also have a host of medically-supervised exercise facilities and all of those that I know of (and attend) do not require annual fees, but have monthly memberships of $30 or less. Personally, and regardless of how much I may admire her efforts and devotion, I don't enjoy being on a treadmill next to a 25-year-old who can bounce a quarter off of her perfect abdominal muscles! Instead, I prefer to work out with people of my own age, with Kinesiologists who know how to develop and manage workout plans for people with knee replacements, diabetes and coronary disease, etc., and in a setting where if anything goes wrong, there is the medical response training to handle it safely.

I certainly applaud every single one of you who walk, run, go to gyms, ride bicycles, or do any form of exercise on a regular basis. It can definately be a pain in the rump sometimes, but the payoff is large and good.

My uncle had sever heart problems for years & had open heart surgery several times & several other health problems. He passed away last Feb. Other than that everyone else in my family is pretty heart healthy. But my blood pressure runs on the almost high side & I have to watch my cholesterol. Cancer is another story...my grandma died from pancreatic cancer when I was 15 & I had a cousin who died from breast cancer at 35. She had a double mastectomy & the cancer returned & attacked her lymph nodes & bones. My dad has had skin cancer in several spots. Because I am so fair skinned I have my freckles & moles checked every 6 months & I check them on a regular basis. I have to go next Thurs. morning to have 2 spots removed from my back. I'm glad the doc found them while they are still rather small. Plus he said he doesn't think they are malignant.

Now back to the heart. A guy that my husband works with, his son just had open heart surgery & he is only 8. He was born with heart problems. I got an update on him yesterday & he is at home & doing great!

I've had several family members have heart attacks. Strokes, Cancer, High Blood Pressure, Kidney Disease and Diabetes run in my family. For everyone please remind your doctors when you visiit them your family medical history so that they can observe and educate you on signs and symptoms to watch out for. Doctors see so many patients that they sometimes just focus on your main complaints at the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom