Salsa's TOO HOT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trying2cook

Assistant Cook
I am using salsa in a recipe that will combine it with meat, cheese, etc. I already mixed some of the ingredients together before I realized that it was too hot (spicy hot). Is there anyway to calm it down a little? I am making a "mexican lasagne" kind of thing, so will the cheese take the bite out of it? I would like to be able to still use it instead of tossing it. But right now, the intended eaters would not be able to eat it! They are not the "hot and spicy" crowd.
Thanks

I would increase the quantities of the other ingredients in proportion to reduce the proportion of spicyness

or

make an additional mild salsa and mix in appropriate proportions probably 3 mild to 1 soicy

or just use less of the salsa in the recipe, the other ingrdients will dilute it. It all really depends on how over spicy your mix is.

Dairy products cool off hot spices, so maybe a layer of cheese mixed with sour cream would do it. I haven't tried this, though, so I don't know. I made a sort of Mexican lasagna for a party last month and it seemed a bit hot to me - I provided a bowl of sour cream right next to the casserole pan for those who wanted it.

Or you can dilute the salsa by mixing it with a mild version.

HTH.

Just chop up two or three fresh tomatoes and add them to the salsa. That should quiet it down enough so you'll be able to eat it.

Cheese of any type, sour cream, etc. naturally counteract the capsaicin in the peppers.. Tomatoes will help by dilution.

Back
Top Bottom