Nutmeg Shelf Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sassy

Assistant Cook
What's the shelf life of fresh nutmeg? I've been keeping mine in a dark, cool cupboard w/other spices but maybe it would last longer in the freezer??? I only use nutmeg, maybe, twice a month.

Hi, Sassy. By fresh nutmeg, do you mean a whole seed, or ground nutmeg? A whole seed will last indefinitely and you can grate it as needed. I keep ground spices in a cool, dark cupboard and replace them once a year.

You don't even need to replace them. Those nuts will keep indefinitely, and that is much longer than a year.

Once you've started grating it, I probably wouldn't keep that one longer than a year, but I use them up faster than that.

Try adding a couple of grates to your next cooked spinach to add a little pizzaz! :chef:

If already ground then yes it will last longer in the freeze than anywhere else. I never buy pre-ground though. Buy the whole nut and grate it as needed.

I've been wondering about how long the whole nuts lasted. I have some I've had for several years, stored in a large baby food jar in my spice cabinet. When I grate it, it's still quite fragrant and flavorful.
Is the same true of cinnamon sticks and whole cloves? I have a lot of those in airtight glass jars.

You don't even need to replace them. Those nuts will keep indefinitely, and that is much longer than a year.
:chef:

FINALLY someone says that the length of time I keep a spice is okay!

'Course, that's the length of time I keep ALL my hundred spices. :rolleyes: Including the nutmegs I've started to grate.

I know, I know, I KNOW, okay? ;)

Lee

Back
Top Bottom