Need advice on damaged Descoware! Could it contain lead in the enamel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovesabaker

Assistant Cook
Help, I need new enamel on my Descoware. Has anyone heard of getting it professionally re-enameled? Is there a company that does this? I know clawfoot bathtubs can be re-enameled, so what about enameled cookware? I own three terrific pieces of the old Descoware. They have been abused by their previous "owners" (my grandmother and my mother...), and I continue to use them all. My favorite is my 12" flame orange oval fish pan, in which I make a terrific apple crisp. I know my children understand my sentimental attachment to these pots, and hope to inherit them from me. If I hand them over, I would sure like to get them refurbished with new enamel first. I have chips, worn enamel (almost scrubbed off), and hairline cracks in the enamel with large chips from the biggest cracks. The metal itself is fine---the problems are mainly in the inside surface and chip-prone edges. I would want a professional job, or none at all. Help!

Also, could there be lead in the old enamel surface? I know some glass could contain led, so couldn't enamel? Since it is a melted glass-like surface?

Back
Top Bottom