Cranberry Sauce???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Ok, you guys haven't failed me yet...how the heck to I make cranberry sauce from fresh/frozen cranberries?

Thanks!!

htc - don't be skeered - it's really easy! Here's just one variation of many - you can make this a week or two ahead and keep in the fridge -

CRANBERRY SAUCE

Makes about 2 1/3 cups

1/ cup water
½ cup sugar
½ cup maple syrup
3T orange juice
2tsp. orange peel
1 – 12 oz. pkg. cranberries, picked clean
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger

Stir together water, sugar, maple syrup and orange juice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered, for about 3 minutes, til the sugar is dissolved.

Add cranberries and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Make sure heat is low enough that the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom. Stir in ginger and orange peel, and simmer for about six more minutes, till most of the cranberries have popped, and mixture starts to thicken.

Mine is a slight departure from Marmalady's (that sounds nothing short of wonderful!) Htc, this is an easy condiment to make! And once you make cranberry sauce yourself, the canned stuff becomes part of some alternative universe! Homemade cranberry sauce is soooo good!

1 12oz bag of fresh, cleaned cranberries
1 cup fresh orange juice
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup sugar
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp minced orange zest
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ cup crushed pineapple

In a heavy saucepan, combine the orange juice, maple syrup and sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue to boil for about a minute to dissolve any remaining sugar. Reduce heat to low, and add the cranberries. Cover the pan with a splatter screen and continue to cook until most of the cranberries have popped. Remove from heat and add the ginger, orange zest, and spices.

This recipe is easily doubled and can also be canned into sterile jars and 15 minutes in a water bath canner.

I've added rum to this recipe (1/8 cup) with success and used it over duck. Yum!

Here are two. The first is a very simple standard one.

FRESH CRANBERRY SAUCE

1 package (12 oz) fresh or frozen cranberries (*If using frozen, do not thaw)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
fresh lemon juice to taste, optional

Mix sugar and water in saucepan. Stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil, add cranberries (and lemon juice to taste, if using), return to boil, reduce heat. Boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Cool completely at room temperature and refrigerate.
Makes around 2 1/4 cups.

CRANBERRY ORANGE SAUCE

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
4 cups Cranberries
zest of 1 orange
2 or 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur (can also use rum)

Mix water and sugar and bring to a boil. Cook until the sugar is dissolved, a minute or so. Add cranberries and simmer until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and add orange zest and Grand Marnier. Pour into serving bowl and refrigerate.
Adjust sugar to your taste, more or less.

awesome! thx!!! Have tasted homemade cranberry sauce once,and you're right, it's WONDERFUL....that's why I want to try my own this year. Thanks again!!

A cranberry sauce story.
I always make my own cranberry sauce and have had rave reviews...until last year.
We were invited to a friend's home and I was asked to make a condiment, and another dish. I made a casserole with corn and muffin mix and that was very well received, but when my hostess saw the cranberry sauce, she whipped out a can of the jellied stuff and put that out. I guess that's what she liked, but mine was also eaten, so I didn't feel too bad. :LOL: :LOL:

I think lots of people like to see their cranberry sauce in the shape of a can. hahah, maybe I will put mold mine to look like a can after I make it! :D

There are so many variations. These are two that are a little different from the usual but very delicious. I love the taste of vanilla in the first one, and I love the combination of cherries in the second.

Caramel Cranberry Relish
1 Large orange, chopped with skin into small dice
1 c Sugar
2 tb + 1/4 c water
2 ts Ginger, fresh, grated
1 Cinnamon stick
1 Vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 lb Cranberries, picked over
1/2 c Raisins

1.Combine sugar and 2 tb of water in a large, heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring. until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking, without stirring, just until mixture turns golden brown.
2.Stir in orange pieces, ginger, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
3.Stir in cranberries, raisins and remaining 1/4 c water. Cook over medium heat, stirring, for 5-8 minutes, or until half of the cranberries pop open.
4.Remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool. Remove cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Refrigerate in tightly closed jar - keeps for 3 months.

Cranberry Cherry Relish
1 c Cherries, canned or fresh, pitted
1 1/2 c Cranberries, picked over
2 c Brown sugar
1 1/2 c Raisins
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Cloves
1 Orange, seeds removed, chopped into small dice
1 Lemon, seeds removed, chopped into small dice
1/3 c Vinegar (cider or another mild vinegar)
1/2 Stick cinnamon
1/2 ts Nutmeg, fresh grated

1.Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cook slowly, stirring often, over medium heat until mixture thickens.
2.Remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool. Remove cinnamon stick. Refrigerate in tightly closed jar - keeps for 3 months.

htc - if you don't have those little ridges from the can how do you know where to slice it??? :LOL: ;)

Well, sounds like you've got some GREAT recipes here!!!! You will love the homemade stuff. Now here's a completely different one and still VERY good:

Very Different Cranberry Relish
• 2 cups raw cranberries
• 3/4 cup sour cream
• 1 small onion
• 2 T. horseradish
• 1/2 cup sugar

Grind the cranberries and onion together. Add remaining ingredients and mix. Put in a plastic container and freeze
An hour before serving, move the container from the freezer to the refrigerator compartment to thaw.

The relish will be thick, creamy, chunky, and shocking pink

hey, i made tried making the cranberry sauce, it turned out pretty darn good! Just wanted to let ya'll know. Thanks for all the help!

I took Audeo's recipe, though had to omit the ginger because it was really late when I made it and I was too tired to go to the store. I figured there were other recipes that didn't have ginger, so I might have been ok... I liked the tartness and the sweetness. I thought that having the maple syrup in ther would "kick it up", but I found that I was wrong. It could be because I didn't have the ginger. When I make it forr Thanksgiving, I'm going to use the same recipe base. Hope this helps!

htc said:
I took Audeo's recipe, though had to omit the ginger because it was really late when I made it and I was too tired to go to the store. I figured there were other recipes that didn't have ginger, so I might have been ok... I liked the tartness and the sweetness. I thought that having the maple syrup in ther would "kick it up", but I found that I was wrong. It could be because I didn't have the ginger. When I make it forr Thanksgiving, I'm going to use the same recipe base. Hope this helps!

I'm glad this worked okay for you, htc. The maple is a really subtle flavoring, but the ginger will give it just a little "zing".

Best of good fortune to you and best wishes for a wonderful holiday season ahead!

That 1 tsp. of fresh minced ginger is going to make a world of difference - mmmm..... me thinks me has a new cramberry relish for this Thanksgiving!!! 8)

I think I will try the same dish and make sure to have the ginger on hand...thanks again!

htc said:
hey, i made tried making the cranberry sauce, it turned out pretty darn good! Just wanted to let ya'll know. Thanks for all the help!

Once you make the fresh stuff, it's pretty hard to go back to the canned, unless you're on some kind of nostalgia kick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom