Key Lime Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookinBlondie

Senior Cook
I have just been asked to bake a Key Lime Pie for one of my mom's good friends for Christmas. She said that if I started now and perfected it, she would pay me for it. Considering this is my first "Paying Gig" I thought I ought to try my very best, ya know, to give my self a good name. So, here's my problem, I've never made a Key Lime Pie before, so I am in dire need of a good recipe, or any recipe for that matter, and also some tips and tricks on how to make the perfect Key Lime Pie. Hope you can help! Thanks in advance!

CookinBlondie*

You can't go wrong with this one. I made the original filling, but used my own graham cracker crust, (with no added sugar), and omitted the whipped cream topping. It's delicious.

KEY LIME PIE

From America's Test Kitchen: "Despite this pie’s name, we found that tasters could not tell the difference between pies made with regular supermarket limes (called Persian limes) and true Key limes. Since Persian limes are easier to find and juice, we recommend them."

Serves 8 to 10

Lime Filling
4 teaspoons grated zest plus 1/2 cup strained juice from 3 or 4 limes
4 large egg yolks
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Graham Cracker Crust
11 full-size graham crackers, processed to fine crumbs (1 1/4 cups)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING (I omitted this)
¾ Cup heavy cream
¼ Cup confectioners’ sugar
½ lime, sliced paper thin and dipped in sugar (optional)

1. For the filling: Whisk zest and yolks in medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken.

2. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix crumbs and sugar in medium bowl. Add butter; stir with fork until well blended. Scrape mixture into 9-inch pie pan. Press crumbs evenly onto bottom and up sides of pie plate. Once crumbs are in place, line pan flush with large square of plastic wrap, and use spoon to smooth crumbs into curves and sides of pan. Refrigerate lined pie plate 20 minutes to firm crumbs. Bake until lightly browned and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.

3. Pour lime filling into crust; bake until center is set yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes. Return pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. (Can be covered with lightly oiled or oil- sprayed plastic wrap laid directly on filling and refrigerated up to 1 day.)

4. For the whipped cream: Up to 2 hours before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks. Adding confectioners’ sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, continue whipping to just-stiff peaks. Decoratively pipe whipped cream over filling or spread evenly with rubber spatula. Garnish with optional sugared lime slices and serve.

Notes:
1. To make sure the graham crackers form a firm, coherent crust on the bottom of the pie pan, press them down firmly with a cup or glass. Be careful not to cover the pan’s lip with crumbs, however.
2. If the finished pie sticks to the pie pan when you’re ready to cut, simply dip the pan into a bowl of warm water to loosen the pie.

From America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated

ignore - double post.
Why does that happen????? I only entered it once.

CookinBlondie said:
WOW! Thanks for the recipe and the super fast response! I will definitally try this one first. Thanks again!

CookinBlondie*

You're very welcome!

I forgot to add that although the recipe says to chill the pie at least 3 hours, I always chill it at least 8 hours or overnight.

Hiya again CookinBlondie... you don't come on much.. we miss ya!!

that looks good merstarr... between you and marmalady, you guys have recipes for anything and everything!

:oops: Ty, Julie! And I'm only posting ones I already have in my database! I have a stack of clippings that's about 2 ft tall that I haven't even started on yet!

mudbug said:
Juliev said:
between you and marmalady, you guys have recipes for anything and everything!

look who's talking!!!!

:LOL: Yeah, that's right, you mentioned that once! Ya know what's sickening? I have typed in most of my recipes... I can think of one that I didn't. They come from the zillions of cookbooks I have. And when I say zillions, I mean zillions.

I should just copy/paste lol.. you can find anything on the net.

and marmalady. I made a "scrapbook-type" cookbook from clippings from magazines, etc. I use that a lot too.

Juliev said:

that looks good merstarr... between you and marmalady, you guys have recipes for anything and everything!

Thanks, Julie! :)

Juliev said:

Well, in the summer I used to post a lot, but now since school started, I don't really have that much free time.

Anyway, I do have a question for you merstarr. Can I make a meringue to put on top instead? Hope I can!

CookinBlondie*

CookinBlondie said:
Anyway, I do have a question for you merstarr. Can I make a meringue to put on top instead? Hope I can!CookinBlondie*

I don't see why not, BUT the baking temperature and timing will be different, and the outcome may not be the same. Apparently if using meringue, you need a higher temperature (unless you don't bake the meringue and just top the pie with it after it cools, as you would whipped cream ). I don't care for meringue toppings, so I never make them, and therefore, I really can't advise you on this. Maybe someone else can help you. Also, apparently it can weep if you're not careful. Here are some tips:

"Carefully spread meringue over filling and seal to edges of crust, covering filling completely. Bake just until meringue peaks begin to brown."

edited from cdkitchen

One day, make a Key Lime Cake. I have made this for Halloween but mostly for St. Patricks Day, its so wonderful and easy. You could use regular limes too! It comes out a lovely light green color, if you want it darker, add 2 more drops green food color.

Key Lime Cake
From Key Lime Cookin'
Copyright 1994 Joyce LaFray

Combine the following:

1 (18-25 ounce) package lemon supreme cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package lemon instant pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup Key lime juice
Beat 2 minutes at medium speed with an electric mixer. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13 x19 x 2 inch pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 24 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack. Combine the following:

2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup Key lime juice
Make little puncture holes into the cake and drizzle this mixture over the cake and let it soak in. Cut into squares.

SERVICE: 15 to 18 pieces

Enjoy!

I beg to differ with not being able to tell the difference--I find real Key Lime juice to be much more flavorful and tart than that from Persian limes--but taste is a pretty personal thing. Here is my submission to this recipe quest--I have made hundreds of pies from this recipe and never had anything unpleasant happen! I use bottled Key Lime Juice--but I can never remember the name on the label (LOL) it's either Flossie and Ned, Nellie and Fred, something like that--but it's worth looking for!

This recipe makes one 9" pie but you can multiply it (I never had any trouble finding folks to eat the extras!)

1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
1/4 c sugar
6 Tbs melted butter

1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 c key lime juice
Preheat the oven to 400,

Combine the sugar and crumbs, then add the butter and stir with a fork until all moistened. Press into the sides and bottom of a 9" pie pan. Bake at 400 for 7-10 min, or until just browned. Reduce the oven to 375

Beat the egg yolks until light and lemon colored, while still beating, add the lime juice then the sweetened condensed milk, and and beat until thick. Pour immediately into the prepared pie shell, shake a little, gently, just to settle, don't stir it or spread it, and bake at 375 for 7-10 min--just to set it, the top should not brown. Cool to room temp then refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with thin lime slices and whipped cream.

Key Lime Pie should be a creamy soft yellow color with the golden brown edge of the crust providing nice contrast.

I know this No bake Key Lime Cheesecake from FN. I don't want to submit any recipes where you don't cook the eggs. I'm sure a no bake Key Lime Pie exists somewhere.

No-Bake Key Lime Cheesecake Recipe courtesy George Stella

1 tablespoon wheat germ
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
16 ounces real cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
3/4 cup Key lime juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tablespoons no sugar added vanilla extract
1/4 cup hot water
2 limes, zested, divided
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin (recommended: Knoxx brand)
3/4 cup boiling water
Special Equipment: 10-inch deep pie plate or cake pan

Sprinkle the wheat germ and 1 tablespoon sugar substitute over the bottom of the pie plate to create a "faux" crust.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese, sour cream, ricotta cheese, lime juice, 2 cups sugar substitute, vanilla extract, 1/4 cup hot water, and zest of 1 lime on medium speed until well combined.

Using a fork to mix, thoroughly dissolve the 3 envelopes of gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Do not let cool and move onto the next step immediately. (It is important that the water be boiling hot and that you mix the gelatin powder in quickly so it is completely dissolved. If not, you will have gummy bear-type lumps.) With the mixer on high and working very quickly so the gelatin does not set, blend the hot dissolved gelatin thoroughly into cheesecake mixture. Immediately pour mixture into the prepared pie pan and sprinkle with the zest of the other lime. Chill in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 hours or until firm. Serve.

Hint: If you have any extra cheesecake mixture left over after filling the pie pan (I always do), put it in a pastry bag or heavy-duty plastic bag and put it in your freezer for about 7 to 10 minutes, just to firm it up a bit to the thickness of whipped cream. Then take it out and decorate the top of the Key Lime Cheesecake. (If it is in a plastic bag, snip the corner off.)

q

I just wanted to get back to you all about the meringue thing. It worked out great. I had a little weeping problem but I can fix it next time by bringing the meringue all the way to the edge of the crust. Just a little FYI. Thanks again for the recipes everyone. They were a great help!

Here's my next question though: I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but someone is going to buy two pies from me. So, here's the dilly: how much do I charge for them? I've never done anything like this before. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CookinBlondie*

PS: Happy voting!

Back
Top Bottom