Help for breakfast ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
We're all brining in breakfast for Boss's day next week. I need help with ideas, please.

Requirements:
Needs to feed 10-12 people.
Needs to be quick. I wont be home until about 9pm the night before.
Needs to be inexpensive

So far, this is what is has already been accounted for:
Egg casserole
Bacon
Cinnamon rolls
Juice

Sorry, but all my ideas are both expensive (relative to what's been suggested anyway), and labor intensive. Of course, mine are also so darn good, it doesn't matter!

Each of these recipes is for two, so you'll have to multiply the ingredients by 5 to feed 10 people.

HUEVOS DEL RANCHO SUPREMOS
Ingredients (for 2)
  • 4 small or two large corn or flour tortillas
  • 4 Tbs butter
  • 1 can of your favorite WHOLE beans.( No refried beans please. That's gross!)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup of your favorite salsa
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup guacamole
Place beans in a saucepan on medium heat. Thoroughly cook chorizo in frying pan, then add to the beans, mix well, and keep warm on low heat. Melt 1Tbs butter in cast iron skillet or frying pan. Heat each tortilla in skillet until lightly brown on both sides, adding 1Tbs butter for each tortilla. Place two tortillas side by side on each plate. Spoon half of bean/chorizo mix over both tortillas. At the same time, place two eggs in a second frying pan with lid and keep lid on until eggs have a light white coating on yolks. Gently place eggs on top of beans, sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on eggs, add 1/2 cup salsa on top of cheese, and garnish with sour cream and guacamole.

THE MONTE CRISTO
Batter:

• 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbs sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Sandwich:
  • 1 loaf Texas Toast style bread (regular sliced bread optional)
  • 8oz deli sliced Black Forest Ham
  • 8oz deli sliced oven roasted turkey breast
  • 1 pound Swiss cheese
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Beat eggs and milk; stir into flour mixture until smooth. Let stand for 15 minutes.

Prepare two ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese sandwiches on Texas toast bread, or if using regular bread, a slice of bread, ham and Swiss, a slice of bread, turkey and Swiss and a third slice of bread to create a club style sandwich. Cut sandwich diagonally and secure each half with tooth picks or wooden skewers.

Dip each sandwich half in batter to coat well. Deep fry each sandwich section in 375F oil until golden brown, turning once if necessary. Drain on paper towels. Remove wooden picks. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve one sandwich half per plate with a big dollop of strawberry jam.

nothing beats good sausage gravy over biscuits. You can cook it the night before if desired. Re-heat it in a crock pot. Take some extra milk to thin it when you re-heat...

I'd say pancakes. Easily could be made night before. Doesn't take much time. Definitely not expensive. Easy and fast to heat it up in microwave oven.

How about strawberry/cream cheese blintzes? You can even buy ready made crepes in your regular grocery store so you won't have to make them from scratch.

My first thought was what Jeff mentioned, biscuits and sausage gravy. Relatively inexpensive, and very fast in prep time.

Along the same line is SOS. Could serve it over toast or biscuits.

Have a great time.

I'd be doing a breakfast Strata. Throw it together the night before, pop it in the oven and just reheat. My company always loves these and it leaves me free to enjoy them at breakfast time. Here's the base:

Basic Strata Base
12 slices bread, cubed
1 pound cheddar cheese, shredded (or half Swiss Cheese or whatever cheese you may have on hand.)
4 cups milk
8 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons minced onion
cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
3 tablespoons butter
Directions:
Basic Strata Base:

In buttered 9x13-inch pan, spread bread, then cheese. Beat milk, eggs, dry mustard, onion and seasonings. Pour over cheese. Dot with butter, refrigerate overnight Bake one hour at 350 degrees F.

To this I often add whatever I have on hand be it tomato slices/onions/ham whatever. It's good without any variations, but I like to let my imagination go wild when preparing them.

Healthy Egg UnMcMuffins

whole wheat English muffin
1/4 cup egg whites or egg beaters (and salt & pepper)
1 slice of Canadian bacon
1 slice cheese

Toast English muffin.

Cook egg whites/egg beaters. Set aside on paper towel. Season with S&P.

Assemble. English muffin bottom, egg, cheese, Canadian bacon, English muffin top.

Wrap in paper towel.

Nuke when ready to eat for 20-30 seconds.

Last edited:
How about a frittata or two? All you need are one or two dozen eggs & some cheese & veggies. They cook up fast, can be made ahead & reheated, can be cut in a number of wedges/slices, & are just as good at room temp as they are hot.

Two six egg fritattas, cooked in a 10-inch cast iron skillet, will feed 12 people easily. Reference my traditional fritatta recipe with potato, pancetta, onion, garlic, bell pepper and cheese, somehwere else on this board. Cut into six wedges, one piece is dense enough to fill up any hungry adult. Teenagers, well that's a different story!

Sounds like most food groups are already covered ... Egg casserole, Bacon, Cinnamon rolls and Juice.

I'm with jpmcgrew - with easy, inexpensive, and different from what is already on the menu ... a fruit salad. Cube up a honeydew melon, a cantelope, some watermelon, and toss in some seedless red grapes. Of course - you can make all kinds of fruit salads ... I was just thinking of what might be the least expensive and the easiest.

How about a big tray of assorted sweet rolls bought from your local bakery # dozen should cover it well and have some left over for mid morning coffee break

Fruit salad sounds easy, besides the assortment of cubed fruit we make a dip of 1 part cream cheese 1 can marshmellow mix to go with it. It is so good together! To feed 10-12 people I would do two things of cream cheese and the large jar of marshmellow mix...Biscuits and gravy is delicious too!!

lpb

Back
Top Bottom