Grilling Burger - First Time ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t’ know abut the charcoal sites. I just use Kingsford from Wal-Mart or Sams.

Grilling bone-in chicken breasts is incredibly easy. The bone side has almost no meat, and as such, is of little consequence. You the chicken breasts should spend the majority of the time on the grill bone side down. That side will shield the meat and diffuse the heat for even cooking. Start with bone side down for a few minutes, then flip the breast for skin side down after the coals have cooled a bit. Leave it there for about 5 minutes and flip back. Basically, you just put the breast skin side down for 3-5 minutes at a time (depending on the heat of your coals) until the skin is nice and crisp and has good color. Once the skin looks like you want it to, leave it bone side down until the internal temp is 165. Takes about 20 minutes, give or take.

Steaks are even easier. Build you fire and make it hot! Have your steaks at room temperature, and then throw them on the grill and let them sit there. Don’t mess with them. When they hit the grill, the meat will “grab” grate and will basically be stuck to the grate. This is fine. After 4 minutes so (depending on how hot your fire is) the steak will let go of the grate (just push on the edge of the steak a bit to see if it has let go). Once that happens, it’s time to flip. At 1” thick, you need 4-5 minutes per side of grill time for medium rare. So throw the steaks on, leave them be, flip once after 4 minutes, leave them be for another 4 minutes, then remove from the grill and let them rest for 3 or so minutes. Easy stuff.

If the steaks haven’t let go after 5 minutes, don’t sweat it, but flip them anyway. If they were still holding on to the grate, it just means the fire wasn’t hot enough for a perfect sear, but you still don’t want to leave them on more than 5-6 minutes on one side if you’re shooting for medium rare.

In both cases (chicken and steak), you want to close the lid on the grill while your grilling.

Keltin my friend, i could not find the breasts i desired. I had to settle for a lesser kind.

Also, the steak is slightly marinated in a plastic bag, little soy, little worchestershire. I never do this when i pan sear / finish in oven, but i figured for some grilling, what the ****. I assume i just pat them really dry?

As for the searing technique, i don't know if i'll be able to pull that off. Should i put more charcoal than normal for a hotter fire? Or does it have to do with timing? IE - Put the steaks on the grill as soon as the fires go down? Not wait for awhile like i did my burgers?

Keltin - back to the chicken breast. There is bone on the underside, but i don't think all of the bone. One half of the underside has skinless meat exposed. The other side is completely skinless. They are called "Skinless Split Breasts with Ribs"

Does this change your cooking suggestion any as there is no skin to crisp up?

Also, can i baste these badboys? I bought some amazing BBQ Sauce.

Cheers

btw - I'm shooting for medium. Maybe 8 minutes a side for medium?

Are you going to cook the chicken and steaks at the same time?

For the chicken breast, why not finish boning them and make them boneless. Without the full ribcage and the skin, its’ going to be trick to get a prefect breast with only partial bone. It’s easy to bone them, so that’s what I’d do.

Once you have them boneless, build a regular fire. No need to go for super hot. Once the coals are ready, brush the breasts with some oil and then throw them on, but put them on toward the outside of the coals an not dead centered over the coals in the middle of the grate. Then throw the steaks onto the middle of the grate and close the lid.

Cook for 5 minutes then flip everything. Cook for another four minutes and check your steaks. Do you have a meat thermometer? You’re shooting for 130 degrees. If they are there, then take them off to rest. Otherwise leave them a bit longer. Also at this time, flip the breasts once more (after you have tended the steaks), and then cover in BBQ sauce if desired. The breast should cook another 5 or so minutes and they should be done. Check their temp, and take them off at 165.

Depending on your fire and grill, you need 4-5 minutes per side for a medium rare steak, so total cooking time of 8-10 minutes. The boneless breasts need approximately 15 minutes, so 5 minutes a side and then flip. Cover with sauce the last 5 minutes. Check the temp to be sure it is 160-165 before taking them off.

UPDATE:

Stacked my coals in a perfect pyramid by hand. Put down lower fire grate. Inserted match in middle of stack leading to center of pyramid. Lightly covered coals with fluid. Instantly ignited match and threw to stack. Lit right up like a charm. 3 minutes later i checked it out and there is already a fire at the bottom coals.

This thread has really showed me what's up. Steak is cooling to room temperature.

More to follow. Wish me luck! I feel alot more confident this time around.

I left the steak in the hotspot for too long. next time will find hotspot, sear, and move. steak came out well done, not good.

But the chicken...that's a different story... excellent, amazing chicken breasts.

img_494201_0_873bbe34315eb205d0e80571f021101c.jpg

MLB,
Too bad you don't live closer to me. I would deliver my charcoal chimney to you personally. I can't stress how much easier it makes charcoal grilling. No lighter fluid, and the coals are ready in half the time! Spend the $10 and get one. Walmart, HD, and Lowes carry them. Since I mostly use gas, the chimney sits there in the shed collecting dust.

I hear you chief. I'd love to give one a try.

I already went and looked at grills today.

I found one for 100 bucks that has two racks, a chimney, and two wooden shelves.

I'ma pick it up next week.

Cheers

Wow, those look great!!! Fantastic job. That is a product that a veteran griller would turn out. Here’s a big two thumbs up and resounding CONGRATS! :clap:

A most excellent job!!!

Sorry about the steak, but I’m sure they still tasted good. But you know, typically, the chicken breast are the harder thing to do! And you did a mighty fine job, plus you already have a working plan for your rig and steaks!! I’m impressed! Keep it up!

I hear you chief. I'd love to give one a try.

I already went and looked at grills today.

I found one for 100 bucks that has two racks, a chimney, and two wooden shelves.

I'ma pick it up next week.

Cheers

When my wife got mine last year she found a 3 burner + side burner all stainless model for $169. I haven't seen one since for such a good deal.

Keltin, thanks for the props my friend! I have a few years experience in the kitchen, but i have never lived in a house, hence, my bbq inexperience.

I learned more in this thread than i've ever known.

Great stuff. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Keltin, thanks for the props my friend! I have a few years experience in the kitchen, but i have never lived in a house, hence, my bbq inexperience.

I learned more in this thread than i've ever known.

Great stuff. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Excellent! I'm very thrilled for you, and even though I wasn't planning on grilling tonight, just looking at your results is stirring my urge for the fire! I'm thrilled this worked out for you, and you seem to have a firm handle on it, so keep it up my friend! :chef:

Yeah man, I have a feeling it's going to become an obsession.

I can't wait to get some gourmet charcoal and a real BBQ pit.

BBQ is so cheap, fun, time consuming, and delicious, i'm just regretful i couldn't have gotten started early.

I was just never a homeowner till now. I'm only 26, so no big loss. Most of my friends can't even cook.

Yeah man, I have a feeling it's going to become an obsession.

I can't wait to get some gourmet charcoal and a real BBQ pit.

BBQ is so cheap, fun, time consuming, and delicious, i'm just regretful i couldn't have gotten started early.

I was just never a homeowner till now. I'm only 26, so no big loss. Most of my friends can't even cook.

It can definitely become an obsession! But a good one! :LOL:

I just showed DW your pics of the chicken breasts and she said “Those look like yours”, then she noticed the tortillas and decided we need to do that! So we’ll be getting some tortillas tomorrow and trying this out!

Oh, and if by gourmet charcoal you mean lump, be careful. That stuff is very flavorful and nice, but it burns HOT and fast. Personally, I wouldn’t use it except for steaks for a fast and hot fire. Controlling temp on that stuff is a bit harder than on briquettes, but the flavor is a bit stronger since it’s closer to pure wood.

Oh i've used lump charcoal, like where it just looks like chunks of black wood?

I was more thinking normal style charcoal friend, but a better brand, better materials, infused with something better, i don't know. I mean there has to be something better than the crap i'm using.

Back
Top Bottom