What's for dinner, Friday, October 12th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i'm way ahead of the rest of the western hemisphere on this, but those of you ahead of zulu time should be thinking about tonight's dinner by now.

in fact, the aussies and kiwis had better get their barbies fired up soon!

so, i'm working 'till 8am est, then going food shopping. need to pick up some limes and cilantro for salsa (it's already made but needs the missing ingredients). also need to pick up ingredients for stroganov. then, sleep for a coupla hours, get some work done on the cabling in my house, and start dinner.

if the family's a go, tonight will be czar andy's beef stroganov! if not, then i'm making my version of steak kew: beef tenderloin chunks marinated in red wine and onions, then seared in peanut oil in a wok. more onions, some peppers, shiitakes, baby bok choy, wine and butter are added. cornstarch to thicken it.

what are you cooking today?

Vegetable samosas, salad and yoghurt dressing. Not my own samosas. I'm in the big city and have discovered a bakery where the owner's wife makes them and boy are they good...

I don't normally respond to these posts, unless I'm actually preparing a dinner worth writing about. Usually, after working all day in a kitchen, I'm satisfied with a can of soup and a soft pretzel.

However, tonight, Lou and I are hosting a dinner party for 6.....each course with appropriately paired wines..

Mushrooms stuffed with cranberries and toasted hazlenuts with cocktails in the parlor.

Poached quail eggs with figs, grilled pancetta and polenta over chicory with a fig balsamic viniagrette.

Osso bucco with butternut squash risotto and citrus/herb gremolata. I'm also serving homemade brioche.

Cheeses from europe and London served with ficelles. (3 cow cheeses, 2 sheep and one goat)

Olive oil and sauternes cakes with roasted pears and sauternes sauce.

Like I said, if I'm just opening a can of progresso it looks lame compared with the fact that most of you cook dinner every night! But tonight...well, tonight I expect great things to delight all the palates.

grilled hot dogs with homemade chili,8 hr. baked beans,potato salad,tea and for dessert raspberry cheesecake ..homemade of course.

Tonight will be spaghetti and meatballs, and garlic bread. It's cool and raining all day so far, so I thought this would be a good dinner.

I headed for Vera's for dinner. YUM.

We're having gnocchi tonight if I ever get off my arse to make them. I will do a tomato sauce with them and likely a 3 cheese (or 4 depending on whats in the fridge) sauce too. There will be salad and either ice cream or oatmeal cookies for dessert.

We're having chicken guisado with Mexican blend cheeses rolled in corn tortillas fried until crispy with a side of salad, perhaps cole slaw and a side of Spanish rice.

Ham and cheese dinner with potatoes and onions in the crock-pot. Tonight's our night to talk with Buck's mother in Pennsylvania, so I always try to prepare something that doesn't require attention while we're on the phone.

Change of plans. Had a real bad hankering for scalloped potatoes and ham. Gonna have that instead with a tossed salad.

Last edited:
grilled hot dogs with homemade chili,8 hr. baked beans,potato salad,tea and for dessert raspberry cheesecake ..homemade of course.

Thanks for the idea! I haven't made German/Mexican Fusion for supper in a long time, and I just bought fresh hot dog buns on Tuesday.

Snapper in red curry with cauliflower, snow peas & carrots, wide rice noodles with tofu & spicy peanut sauce & a salad with ginger dressing.

Vera oh Vera, how I wish I lived close to you!

Tonight will be chicken matzo ball soup as I have two sick kids - one with fever and pinkeye and one with stomach woes - and their mama is tired!

Dessert will be a vodka tasting - just for me!

grilled bratwurst .. toped with chilli i made earlier this week .. and the redsox game ..

Vera, your whole meal sounds wonderful, but I'm really curious about your mushrooms. Could you share a recipe please?

Michele, I hope the kids feel better and that you stay healthy!

Here, I had the exact opposite of Vera's--a good, greasy, cheese pizza. No salad or anything tonight, just lots of pizza!:pig::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom