Venison Jerky questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
I have a ton of ground venison and want to make jerky, i have found a lot of receipes some have cure in them and some just have a lot of salt. My question is do you have to use cure? And if i need to use core where can I buy just the cure without the seasonings? Thanks

Mikki....Jerky is mostly made from thin slices of meat, in this case venison. There used to be a contraption on the market that extruded ground meat for drying purposes. I would exercise caution using ground meat however as bacteria can survive the drying process. If you choose to proceed make sure you take the dry meat to 160* or so. I personally would opt out of any commmercial cures. Salt is fine. The uses for ground venison are as endless as ground beef.

Enjoy!

Thanks uncle bob, beleive it or not i've always used ground for jerky, used commercial seasoning though and wanted to try something different. Husband insisted i needed cure to make it. Just wanted to make sure i'm not going to poison family.
I will be trying sliced jerky with this years deer though.

Mikki....Jerky is mostly made from thin slices of meat, in this case venison. There used to be a contraption on the market that extruded ground meat for drying purposes. I would exercise caution using ground meat however as bacteria can survive the drying process. If you choose to proceed make sure you take the dry meat to 160* or so. I personally would opt out of any commmercial cures. Salt is fine. The uses for ground venison are as endless as ground beef.

Enjoy![/quote

I made a wonderful venison chili last week and
venison spaghetti last night. Yep, it can replace beef perfectly.

You're going to think I get paid for sending people to this site so much ... The National Center for Home Food Preservation - but, I don't. It's just the best place to start to find information on the best and safest ways to preserve and store foods by all methods to maintain safety, flavor, and quality - not just canning.

Here is the home page for NCHFP, the main page for drying foods, and the specific page on making jerky. It also includes information on how to deal with trichinella parasites, not just bacteria.

This is the marinade recipe that I use for beef and buffalo:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Fabulosa Quick Fajitas Marinade
1-2 Tablespoons Ground Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional)

note: you can substitute for the Fabulosa Quick Fajitas Marinade
2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke
2 Tablespoons Lime Juice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom