Next time you grow Cabbage or Cucumbers USE....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aaackk - can't... stop... posting. Just to save you from yourselves.

Justplainbill - WAKE UP & try to understand!!! The argument here has nothing to do with high nitrogen or any of the crap livestock are fed. It has to do with natural transference of pathogens from one animal group to another!!!!!!

The chances of catching something via composted carniverous/omniverous urine/feces is unbelievably high when compared to the rare possibility of catching something from composted herbivore urine/feces. Period.

Do you really want to take that chance, or would you just prefer to pee in your toilet?

Well, it’s not my cup of tea (or pee as the case may be), but I do find it to be a shocking headline and rather amusing thread.....and I got to adlib a Shakespearean quote to boot! :LOL:

But, for the record and from what I've read here, no one in this thread has advocated doing this, not even kleenex who posted this shocking story for our discussion.

Now, for a little more jaw dropping surprise, Google “urine therapy” and see what comes up. I was floored. :shock:

It is not something I would want to do, just because of the yuck factor, BUT breezy, human urine is completely sterile when it comes out of your body. Every serious hiker or outdoorsman knows that if you get a bad cut in the wilderness and have no clean water to clean it out then you are supposed to use your urine because it is clean. So just what are the health risks you are so worried about?

Hey, you didn't see me say that it was a good idea, just that it happened and we survived it. There are many human diseases that could be transmitted this way, and heaven knows a lot are simply transmitted by food workers who don't wash their hands, so you wouldn't want to make it worse. I sometimes am frustrated by the stuff that comes up in my garden (various kinds of weeds) when I use composted and supposedly sterile cow manure, and i wouldn't use human waste at all.

The chances of catching something via composted carniverous/omniverous urine/feces is unbelievably high when compared to the rare possibility of catching something from composted herbivore urine/feces. Period.

As was stated already, human urine is totally 100% sterile. Also mentioned was the antiseptic properties it has, and it's also possible to sustain yourself temporarily from the water in your own urine.

I don't think anyone here is saying they want a nice steamy mug of their own with a donut on the side, but it's an effective, and SAFE fertilizer.

Anyone read Judge Judy's book "Don't Pee on my Leg and Tell Me It's Raining"? Quite an interesting semi-bio btw and explains why she acts the way that she does. This is probably why she doesn't trust lips that are moving and makes the hapless participants look her in the eyes. Yes, urine is one of the most sanitary things to leave your body as your kidneys are great filters-----but for anyone who has accidentally come upon urine left to set for more than a few days the odor of ammonia will knock you over and how it's stored for fertilizing has to be questioned. It may be germ free when it leaves the body but for how long and under what conditions? Most commercial fertilizers have been sanitized for use and therefore don't elicit the "ewwwwwww and yuck factor".

Back
Top Bottom