Cornbread for an Englishman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
I have long been intrigued by the idea of cornbread but know litttle about it apart from the name. Could someone explain it for me and give me a basic recipe to try (there is so much enthusiasm about it, I want to join in).

Ray

Gosh, Ray, I have so many different cornbread recipes. Some using buttermilk, others using whole milk. I have recipes that include whole kernel corn, as well as a few with chopped jalapeno peppers, cheddar cheese, and other add-ins I can't remember off the top of my head.

For a discussion of cornbread here at DC go here.

I love cornbread with black bean soup, split pea soup, chili and, of course, when I make cornbread dressing/stuffing for the holidays.

Cornbread cakes and muffins are a tasty breakfast treat, too.

Can you tell I like cornbread?

Thanks Katie.

Is cornmeal the same as corn flour? Corn flour is common over here - I've not seen cornmeal.

I do rememver it from Africa, we used to use corn meal (we called in mealie meal) to make a sort of porridge called sadza, used to accompany the main course.

In addition to most of the cornbread discussed on this site, you might also find the yeast dough Portugese cornbread described by forum member 'Konditor' to be of interest.

Last edited:
Corn flour?

Thanks Katie.

Is cornmeal the same as corn flour? Corn flour is common over here - I've not seen cornmeal.

I do rememver it from Africa, we used to use corn meal (we called in mealie meal) to make a sort of porridge called sadza, used to accompany the main course.

Corn meal is a coarse grind - and I'll bet close to the mealie meal you mention since that's used to make porridge. Wheat flour for comparison is a very fine grind and wheat flour is actually used with the corn meal to make corn bread. I've never seen corn "flour" if such exists. Hope this helps some.:chef:

If this is what you mean by corn flour, then yes.

If you have any Hispanic markets in your area, you might check there for cornmeal.

The Italians make something called polenta, which uses cornmeal and is served soft or chilled, then sliced and browned and served as a side dish or as a substitute for pasta.

I always have cornmeal in my pantry for both cornbread and polenta.

Corn meal

Thanks to all the responses we're getting close - I just copied this from a reference for a qualatative comparison which should be close enough with the advice of the others.

What's the difference between polenta and regular cornmeal?

I asked myself that same question, and learned: There really isn't any difference, except for the size of the grind (and the price).

Cornmeal can be ground fine, medium or coarse. Regular cornmeal, used for cornbread and other baked goods, usually is ground very fine, almost like flour. Cornmeal used for polenta, a cornmeal mush, is medium or coarsely ground.

Polenta should be a well known Italian porridge. Now I think with the others you've got it! I hope:).

What's the difference between polenta and regular cornmeal?

I asked myself that same question, and learned: There really isn't any difference, except for the size of the grind (and the price).

Yep, Dave. I learned many, many years ago from my Italian family that it really isn't necessary to spend the extra money buying special polenta "meal." We've been using plain old cornmeal. Tastes just as good.

Oh, you reminded me of one of my favorites, fried cornmeal mush with butter and syrup. One of my all-time favorite wintertime breakfast dishes. Now I want some.

Cornmeal mush

Yep, Dave. I learned many, many years ago from my Italian family that it really isn't necessary to spend the extra money buying special polenta "meal." We've been using plain old cornmeal. Tastes just as good.

Oh, you reminded me of one of my favorites, fried cornmeal mush with butter and syrup. One of my all-time favorite wintertime breakfast dishes. Now I want some.

My goodness Katie E - I was thinking the exact same thing! You want to tell miniman what we're talking about? It would be unfriendly for him not to know.:ermm: You are the head cook!:chef: I'm just a bottle washer.:neutral:

Thanks Katie.

Cornflour in Britain is the same as cornstarch here in the U.S. Cornmeal is something altogether different.

You can find some good info at:
What is cornmeal called in Britain?

Last edited:
My goodness Katie E - I was thinking the exact same thing! You want to tell miniman what we're talking about? It would be unfriendly for him not to know.:ermm: You are the head cook!:chef: I'm just a bottle washer.:neutral:

Okaaaay!

FRIED CORNMEAL MUSH
(Serves 4 to 6)​
4 cups water, divided
1 cup yellow cornmeal, plus additional for cooking
1 tsp. salt
Cooking oil, for frying

Heat to boiling 3 cups water in a medium saucepan. Mix cornmeal with salt and add 1 cup cold water. Stir to mix well.

Pour cornmeal mixture into boiling water, stirring constantly.

Cook until thickened, stirring frequently. Cover; continue cooking over low heat for about 10 minutes or until mixture has become VERY thick. It should resemble ultra-thick cream of wheat.

Remove from heat and pour into an ungreased loaf pan or into several tall, straight-sided glasses. Refrigerate until completely firm. Overnight is best.

When completely cold, slide out of loaf pan or glasses and slice about ¼-inch thick. Coat both sides of each slice in corn meal. Set aside on waxed paper.

Heat about ¼-inch oil in a heavy skillet until very hot. Drop mush slices into the oil and cook several minutes on each side until lightly browned. Serve with butter and syrup of your choice. Be careful. The inside of the mush is extremely hot. Note: When I was a child, my fried mush was served with white/clear Karo syrup and that’s how I like it best to this day.

miniman said:
Could someone explain it for me and give me a basic recipe to try (there is so much enthusiasm about it, I want to join in).

Ray....There at least 101,000 Cornbread recipes, and counting.

Hear is one that is "basic" to me.

2 Cups Self Rising Corn Meal
2 Chicken Eggs
1 Cup Milk (more or less)
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

Preheat oven to 400*
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well!
Grease a 10 in. cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil. Place on the stove and heat until very hot!!! Pour the batter into the skillet. Walk to the sink, rinse out the bowl. Go back to the stove and put the skillet in the 400* oven for 20-25 minutes or until brown. Invert on to a plate, cut into pie shape pieces. Slice a piece open and slather with butter/margarine.

From here there are many, many variations on a theme. Some with flour added, some with buttermilk, some with a little sugar added:ermm: and the list goes on, and on, and on ad nauseam!!!!!

Ray....There at least 101,000 Cornbread recipes, and counting.

Hear is one that is "basic" to me.

2 Cups Self Rising Corn Meal
2 Chicken Eggs
1 Cup Milk (more or less)
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

Preheat oven to 400*
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well!
Grease a 10 in. cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil. Place on the stove and heat until very hot!!! Pour the batter into the skillet. Walk to the sink, rinse out the bowl. Go back to the stove and put the skillet in the 400* oven for 20-25 minutes or until brown. Invert on to a plate, cut into pie shape pieces. Slice a piece open and slather with butter/margarine.

From here there are many, many variations on a theme. Some with flour added, some with buttermilk, some with a little sugar added:ermm: and the list goes on, and on, and on ad nauseam!!!!!

Thanks UB. I was wondering what you were soaking in that sweet milk.

Thanks everyone for all your help. Il earned something today.

Katie - the cornmeal mush sounds a bit how I understand you would cook polenta. is it the same thing (more or less)

Suspect this a stir up of a big debate. Bu always up for a dare.

Should cornbread be sweet of savory. My own opinion is probably for savory but thats me.

mimiman take a look here: ASDA Recipes - Chilli cornbread
I buy my cornmeal at ASDA, Natco is the brand I buy.

most local asian shops will sell it also.

although I`ve never made cornbread, it Does make nice corndogs and a crispy coating on Chicken :)

Suspect this a stir up of a big debate. Bu always up for a dare.

Should cornbread be sweet of savory. My own opinion is probably for savory but thats me.

It can be either way, Ray. My relatives from the North always put sugar in theirs. Folks here in the South usually leave it out. It's really your preference and what it's going to be served with. I always leave out sugar if I'm making cornbread for my holiday stuffing/dressing.

Back
Top Bottom