Anyone tried durian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both Andrew Zimmern ("Bizarre Foods") & Anthony Bourdain ("No Reservations") tried durian on episodes of their shows. Neither one liked it, & considering the things they eat on their programs, I'd consider that a very dubious endorsement.

Not only that, but both mentioned that the smell of durian is so unpleasant & so intense that it's barred from being taken on ground public transportation, into hotels, or on planes in the countries where it's sold.

That alone should tell you something.

Not only that, but both mentioned that the smell of durian is so unpleasant & so intense that it's barred from being taken on ground public transportation, into hotels, or on planes in the countries where it's sold.

I hear what you are saying Breezy, but I do not completely agree with your last statement. Think of all the stinky cheeses that make your nose want to run and hide, but once you get them in your mouth they are delicious. Granted none of them (to my knowledge) have been banned from public transportation or other public places, but I have smelled some cheeses that I wished were.

There are many people who love durian. So much so that it's nickname is "The G-d Of All Fruit".

img_498488_0_438e14f9c10a10a658dfc7d23d3cec1f.gif

BIG-TIME THANKS Jennyema!!!!!

GB - I'm a big-time "stinky cheese" fan. I ADORED Leiderkranz (RIP), & buy "authentic" limburger when I can get it.

But when I see folks who regularly eat insects, "stinky" (aka fermented) tofu, & other things that I can't mention here because they'd be censored, literally spit durian out of their mouths on camera, I figure I can pretty much assume that I won't like it. Nor will probably 99% of the rest of the foodie population.

But as you say - to each his own. Just don't go touting that durian is being given bad press by a bunch of weenies. Just ain't so. LOL!!

Wife doesn't want me to bring one home though.:rolleyes:

Buy it, keep it in the trunk, then try it at work the next day.

And PLEASE post your opinion, after you've tried it! I'm intrigued, but too chicken to try it myself.

Lee

Both Andrew Zimmern ("Bizarre Foods") & Anthony Bourdain ("No Reservations") tried durian on episodes of their shows. Neither one liked it, & considering the things they eat on their programs, I'd consider that a very dubious endorsement.

As I recall Bourdain liked it very much, compared it to some French cheeses. Sat on the deck of the place he was staying and chowing down on the stuff.

Zimmern spit it out.

I wish!

I'm so curious about this fruit! A little apprehensive, but I hope I'd be brave enough to try a bite.

The wikipedia article suggests that a number of different species of durian are eaten in SE Asia, and the different species, cultivars and clones can have very different qualities. Degree of ripeness, they say, also has a great effect on odor and flavor of the fruit.

My botany professor, who has spent a lot of time in Madagascar, told me that he kind of liked it. He also said that fresh durian you get straight from the tree in the place where it's grown is very different from anything you can find in the States.

The fruit I really wanna try even more than durian is mangosteen--the "queen of fruits" to durian's "king." Last I heard, it was illegal to import into the continental U.S. But I think I read that this might change soon...

I wish!

I'm so curious about this fruit! A little apprehensive, but I hope I'd be brave enough to try a bite.

The wikipedia article suggests that a number of different species of durian are eaten in SE Asia, and the different species, cultivars and clones can have very different qualities. Degree of ripeness, they say, also has a great effect on odor and flavor of the fruit.

My botany professor, who has spent a lot of time in Madagascar, told me that he kind of liked it. He also said that fresh durian you get straight from the tree in the place where it's grown is very different from anything you can find in the States.

The fruit I really wanna try even more than durian is mangosteen--the "queen of fruits" to durian's "king." Last I heard, it was illegal to import into the continental U.S. But I think I read that this might change soon...

Grown in Hawaii, import ban in the CONUS.

Mangosteen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Qsis - do you not bother to read previous posts?? This isn't something you can "buy & keep in the trunk". Geesh.

Yes, I did read the posts before I posted (it annoys the heck out of me when others do not).

I have seen these fruits in my local Super 88 supermarket. I assumed that they smelled when they were cut into, and that they would be fine in a trunk overnight.

Your posts are getting more and more rude there, Breezy.

Lee

Last edited:
Yes, I did read the posts before I posted (it annoys the heck out of me when others do not).

I have seen these fruits in my local Super 88 supermarket. I assumed that they smelled when they were cut into, and that they would be fine in a trunk overnight.

Your posts are getting more and more rude there, Breezy.

Lee

I think you could buy it and keep it in the trunk. When you see them at the Super 88 whole, they don't smell as bad as when you cut into them. Then they really stink. If you don't mind a car that smells a bit like you hauled your trash to the dump without a bag and then spilled gas on it, then you might try it.

The combination of the rancid/rotten with the petroleum is very weird.

Hey, how about storing it in a cooler until you were ready to eat it? It would keep it cool and contain the "fragrance" . :ermm:

Lee

As I recall Bourdain liked it very much, compared it to some French cheeses. Sat on the deck of the place he was staying and chowing down on the stuff.

Zimmern spit it out.

Yeah, Bourdain actually loves the stuff. This site has the clip where he buys one and eats it. Not sure I could do it though. Many people say it's like "eating custard in a sewer". I don't think that is for me! :LOL:

After seeing that clip, I'm not so sure I'd like the texture of it anyway.

I like it, my Mom likes it, Bourdain likes it but it will make your car smell if you leave in the trunk. I think it tastes like custard with a bit of mango (but not sour). The texture is slimy & somewhat stringy. I brought one to a BBQ & most of the people that tried it were fine with it after getting past the smell. There was one gagging incident though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom