I Made Meatloaf???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
:ohmy: Yep, some of you may know that one of my least favorite foods is meatloaf. Hate the way it sounds, hate the way it smells, hated everything about the dish when I was younger and have not even come close to having it one the same table with me since then.

Wellllllllll.... I saw this recipe on Good Eats that appealed to me and actually made me want to try meatloaf all over again. Click here to see the recipe.

I actually bought and ground my own chuck and sirloin and was very pleased with the texture and flavor. I guess the one big problem I had is that the loaf did not hold together as well as I would have liked and when I went to slice the loaf, it came apart in chunks. Any ideas of what I did wrong or what I could do different for next time? I really liked the finished product and would like to make it again.

Any tips would be great. Thanks!!!

I've made a modified version of this recipe. The meat mixture must be thoroughly mixed and packed into the loaf pan tightly to make sure here are no air pockets, etc. Don't be too concerned about his comment to not squeeze the meat. It has to be well packed to hold together.

Also, you have to let it rest before slicing it.

Seems like a lot of meat (and stuff) for just one egg. Isn't it the egg that binds everything together?

Seems like a lot of meat (and stuff) for just one egg. Isn't it the egg that binds everything together?

Good catch. You could easily add another egg in addition to my earlier suggestions. One egg is good for 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of meat.

I tried to refrain from 'squeezing' the meat, and I felt that I had it mixed pretty well. But being my first time and all, I am sure there were some mistakes I made along the way. Next time I'm only doing half the recipe, so in that case, one egg should be sufficient?

I thought I packed the meat in pretty well, but when I turned the loaf pan over and dropped the loaf out, it was not holding together very well then. I was not sure what it was suppose to look like, so I dropped the meat back into the loaf pan and tried packing it again and it came out the same as before, so I went ahead and cooked it! And it took about 30 minutes longer than the 45 minutes it listed for cooking time.

It has a great flavor... better than I expected and has changed my mind about trying and eating meatloaf. I wish they would come up with a better name for it!!!

Sattie and meatloaf?

Sattie writes "Wellllllllll.... I saw this recipe on Good Eats that appealed to me and actually made me want to try meatloaf all over again. Click here to see the recipe.

"I actually bought and ground my own chuck and sirloin and was very pleased with the texture and flavor. I guess the one big problem I had is that the loaf did not hold together as well as I would have liked and when I went to slice the loaf, it came apart in chunks. Any ideas of what I did wrong or what I could do different for next time? I really liked the finished product and would like to make it again."

I went to the link as I really like Alton Brown's work and first thought to read the reviews - didn't read all of the long list - one of the longest I've seen at FNW.
Almost all excellent 4 & 5 stars with acouple comments about the "dryness" or "falling apartness":ermm:.

Capsuled they are: Be sure the oven temp is controlled well and not over cook. One comment was concerned about using meat that was too low in fat. One stated that a touch of extra water might be needed and one stressed really pressing the meatloaf into the pan - like really getting on it as suggested by Andy M, along with his suggestion of a bit more egg.

Only a very few would not try it again - taste - like maybe too spicy or too much garlic for them.

Thanks for the link Sattie, I printed the recipe off and looks like I should make it this weekend at my daughters.:chef:

Stupid me!!!! I did not even think to read the reviews!!! I just know when I saw him prepare the loaf... my curiosity was peaked! I see now that the reviews would have given me some insight as to what I might have come up against.

The meat I used was very very lean and I knew then that may contribute to a possibly dry loaf. And I know it was not over cooked. I used a themometer and cooked it to 150 and let it stand. I may have cut into it prematurely. And it was a tad dry, but not too bad.

I liked the spice that it had, I being the fire mouth that I am found the spice was just right!

Thanks for pointing out the reviews David... wish I would have thought to read them last night!

No, you aren't stupid - I learned the hard way to read those reviews - some of the recipes I have looked at seemed great but the reviews stated otherwise so I pass on them. And! the tips are great - worth the time, sometimes I will print off the recipe and pencil in some of the tips I like or need. :)

One of these days I'll gather the courage to make meatloaf. I also do not like it. Actually I do not like anything made from ground meat.

One of these days I'll gather the courage to make meatloaf. I also do not like it. Actually I do not like anything made from ground meat.

Does that include hamburgers Charlie?????? Chili?? Are you serious???? I have to say that trying this recipe was a real stretch for me, but I do LIKE this recipe.

I think today is as good as any to get the courage up my friend!!! ;)

No, you aren't stupid - I learned the hard way to read those reviews - some of the recipes I have looked at seemed great but the reviews stated otherwise so I pass on them. And! the tips are great - worth the time, sometimes I will print off the recipe and pencil in some of the tips I like or need. :)

I normally read the reviews for any recipe that I find online like this... It just never crossed my mind for some reason. I guess I had it in my head I was going to try this no matter what. (Maybe subconciously I was trying to avoid anything that may deter me from trying this recipe... it is meatloaf you know!!!) :LOL:

Yep, pretty much nothing. I do eat hamburgers and chili, but only once in a while. Actually, there was funny story about the chili. We were invited for lunch ones to friends house and they had served chili. The hostess was extremely proud of her self that she made such a wonderful chili. Well, chili was at best mediocre to begin with, I’ve had some good chilies that even I like, and then she made a mistake of asking me how I liked it. Guess what my answer was. I told her it was addible. We haven’t been to their place since. (No big loss).
The only 2 things that I do like are probably spaghetti and chicken meatballs in chicken soup.
In part it might be due to the fact that i do not like beef.

Ahhhh, ok. Now it is making some sense! Wow Charlie... I guess I never knew that about you. I have met folks that don't eat beef, don't eat meat... but I don't think I have ever met anyone that just does not like it. I suppose that half the folks that say they don't eat it don't like it either!! :)

The meat I used was very very lean and I knew then that may contribute to a possibly dry loaf. And I know it was not over cooked. I used a themometer and cooked it to 150 and let it stand. I may have cut into it prematurely. And it was a tad dry, but not too bad.

I try to always use 85% lean ground beef for meatloaf, then as soon as I take it out of the oven, I pour off the loose grease and then let it rest. This way, it's moist and juicy, but not greasy, and it slices well. HTH.

Thanks GG... I did not expect that it would turn out perfect the first time around. That is why I tap into you kind and all knowing folks!!!

I may skip the grind my own meat step next time... I about put my food processor in to overuse shock!!!

I do not completely dislike it. If it is a good stake or good rib-eye roast, or some other fancy piece, that is cooked right I like it.

I posted a nice reply but now I can't find it?

Anyhoo...I made this same recipe last week and my husband LOVED it and it turned out great.

I probably had only a little over 2 lbs of ground meat (ground chuck and some ground steak - I don't remember what cut). I also only used 5 oz of croutons because I couldn't find garlic croutons in a 6 oz container. I did use 2 eggs. I also doubled the glaze and basted the meatloaf several times while the meatloaf was cooking. I used a chili sauce that provided just the right kick.

I had never made a meatloaf on a cookie sheet before but I will definitely try that again because I liked that it didn't sit in all of the fat as it was cooking.

:ohmy: I guess the one big problem I had is that the loaf did not hold together as well as I would have liked and when I went to slice the loaf, it came apart in chunks. Any ideas of what I did wrong or what I could do different for next time? I really liked the finished product and would like to make it again.Any tips would be great. Thanks!!!
that is the one common factor in my meatloaves. They don't 'slice'. They break up and it turns to meat chunks on the plate. I hope if I read more, I'll get the answer too. I may just go into chowhound and ask them too for their help.

Have read many things about meatloaves and what makes them correct in the way they turn out and what ruins them also.

I've read that you should never over work the meat mixture.
I've read not too many eggs.
I've read only soaked in milk bread, then squeeze out the milk.
I've read add water and/or ice cube little chunks to the meat mixture.
I've read use a topper such as ketchup.
I've read don't use a topper.
It's the temp of the oven.
It's not the temp of the oven.
I've read a tomato sauce included in the mix.
I've read no tomato sauce in the mix.
I've read reviews that are positive but, [when I made it] my review was negative.:wacko:

I see what the problems are in making a good meatloaf.
No one can agree on the particulars.
Gad, I'm frustrated.

My next move is to go to America's Test Kitchen site and read their suggestions.

There must be a measurement thing or an ingredient mixing thing that enters in to the mix, maybe also a loose straight on the flat pan or in a loave pan thing. How can one meal be so difficult?

Back
Top Bottom