Chicken with FORTY Cloves of Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
I’ve heard of this recipe before, but never thought it was serious. But it is a real recipe.

Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

In another thread, Loprraine said:

Keltin, it's delicious. I used to use my Creuset pot, and seal it with a bread and water rope to seal in the juices. The aroma when you lift off the top is incredible.
Ok, what is bread and water rope, and how do you use it?

Also, is the garlic flavor strong in this dish or mellow or what?

Anyone else make this?

It’s definitely on my short list now!

I’ve heard of this recipe before, but never thought it was serious. But it is a real recipe.

Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

In another thread, Loprraine said:

Ok, what is bread and water rope, and how do you use it?

Also, is the garlic flavor strong in this dish or mellow or what?

Anyone else make this?

It’s definitely on my short list now!

The garlic is mellow, and you can spread some on french bread/baguette. There are several versions

James Beard's
James Beard's Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

This one's on my list, because of the artichokes (& potatoes). Adding shrooms might be a nice add-in.
OregonChickens.com: Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

And another with cherry tomatoes & basil - looks mighty tasty
Tomato Recipes - Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic Recipe - Relish

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have said a flour and water rope. Mix enough water into plain flour to form a thick dough. Roll it into a rope. Place it around the top of your pot, place lid on the dough. When the dough cooks, it seals the lid to the pot, so no juices escape. You kind of have to use something to knock it off once done. I lightly tap on it with the back of a knife. The recipe, as I remember it, because the magazine stayed in an old house, was from a Cuisine magazine, circa late 70's, very early 80's. They stopped printing years ago. The garlic gets so sweet. I start it on top of the stove, then into the oven. It's a great party dish. Serve with a really good peasant bread and a big salad.

Sorry, I should have said a flour and water rope. Mix enough water into plain flour to form a thick dough. Roll it into a rope. Place it around the top of your pot, place lid on the dough. When the dough cooks, it seals the lid to the pot, so no juices escape. You kind of have to use something to knock it off once done. I lightly tap on it with the back of a knife. The recipe, as I remember it, because the magazine stayed in an old house, was from a Cuisine magazine, circa late 70's, very early 80's. They stopped printing years ago. The garlic gets so sweet. I start it on top of the stove, then into the oven. It's a great party dish. Serve with a really good peasant bread and a big salad.
Oh my gosh, Loprraine, that sounds wonderful. And I'll bet it's very dramatic to bring it to the table with the rope intact and then break it free and open it in front of guests. Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm definitely going to try this.

It's based on a classic French recipe. As Amy said, very mellow garlic.

If you want in your face garlic, try toum, a Lebanese garlic sauce.
I've never heard of toum but I have some friends and family members who love garlic. For them, there's no such thing as too much garlic so I will try this. Do you use it just like regular garlic?

I've never heard of toum but I have some friends and family members who love garlic. For them, there's no such thing as too much garlic so I will try this. Do you use it just like regular garlic?

It is basically pureed raw garlic, salt & pepper, sometimes with oil. I use it with grilled, Middle Eastern seasoned chicken wings. It is absolutely delicious, but it is really in your face.:chef: I do this dish a couple of times a year. Serve it with couscous, baba ganouj and pita. My kid can put down 15 of these wings at a sitting.

Not sure what the policy is here posting links to recipes, but you can Google toum recipe and I am sure you'll get some hits. Same with the Labanese wings.

Yep, it's great. Check your email, keltin. There should be something yummy waiting for you there.

Thanks Katie, just got it. My mail account marked it as Spam so I had to dig for it to find it. Dumb program! Won't happen again. :dry:

Those ribs sound great! I'm definitely going to try it. So let me ask you, if you had a choice between chicken and 40 cloves of garlic or the Short Ribs and 40 cloves (or 50 cloves......right UB?), which would you do first? I've got to try one of these first, so what are your thoughts?

Oh and....heh.......I'm gonna adapt the recipe to work in the Outdoor DO! :LOL:

Oh wow, a homemade gasket seal. How cool! I've so got to try that. Never even thought of doing such a thing. Thanks a million for that! :cool:

What's even better is making chicken stock/soup with the garlic chicken.

I love making the garlic chicken. I might have to try the tip about the flour rope

Thanks Katie, just got it. My mail account marked it as Spam so I had to dig for it to find it. Dumb program! Won't happen again. :dry:

Those ribs sound great! I'm definitely going to try it. So let me ask you, if you had a choice between chicken and 40 cloves of garlic or the Short Ribs and 40 cloves (or 50 cloves......right UB?), which would you do first? I've got to try one of these first, so what are your thoughts?

Oh and....heh.......I'm gonna adapt the recipe to work in the Outdoor DO! :LOL:

Since it's gotten cooler here, I'd choose the short ribs. And, BTW, I think Uncle Bob adapted the recipe for his outdoor DO. Enjoy!

It is basically pureed raw garlic, salt & pepper, sometimes with oil. I use it with grilled, Middle Eastern seasoned chicken wings. It is absolutely delicious, but it is really in your face.:chef: I do this dish a couple of times a year. Serve it with couscous, baba ganouj and pita. My kid can put down 15 of these wings at a sitting.

Not sure what the policy is here posting links to recipes, but you can Google toum recipe and I am sure you'll get some hits. Same with the Labanese wings.
Thanks qmax. I just started making home made pita bread so this will be excellent. I did google the recipes and there are quite a few. I'll let you know how I did.

Just so we're not keeping anyone in the dark with the recipe, keltin, it's in a cookbook called Red, White & Blue Ribbon - 2004. The recipe was the second place winner in the 2003 Delray Beach (FL) Garlic Fest. The creator of the recipe was Chef Cathy Cox of the Old Calypso in Delray Beach.

The recipe is " 40 Cloves of Garlic & Balsamic-Braised Short Ribs."

Excellent.......uh, Uncle Boooooooooobbbbbbb! How'd you do it? :LOL:

I just looked up the recipe that Miss Katie sent me. I pretty much stayed true to the recipe. However, At one time, I felt like I had to much liquid. This was probably due to the veggies rendering water in addtion to the 4 cups of beef broth. So when I took the picture you see in the thread that "Leg" (Short Ribs) started, I was trying to reduce the liquid with the lid off....Make sense? Also, I did use 50 cloves, because that what I wound up with. So maybe hold back some of the beef stock, and add as needed.

Enjoy!

Oh! And I didn't brown them in the DO. I browned them over the campfire...

I couldn’t see the pics at work, but now that I am home, I just saw that.

I’m weeping here Uncle Bob. That is simply beautiful.

I love, Love, LOVE that you did the “browning” on the camp grill first and then went to the DO. What a knock-me-off-my-feet idea.
Fantastic!! I never even thought about doing that. :doh:

Genius! I’ve been trying to manipulate heat for browning in the DO with very little success (about 5 minutes tops of useable heat before it cools). BUT, using the grill! Crap, why didn’t I think of that! Again, that is simply brilliant!

Thanks!! You know, I'm probably gonna dream about those pics tonight! :LOL:

Bob, your pics are tuly amzing!

Keltin, there are lots of different "40 cloves of garlic" recipes. All serious and all delicious with the garlic cooked down. IMO bettewr with chix than beef bu tGOOD with either.

Point being, that it's more a TECHNIQUE than a RECIPE.

Back
Top Bottom