Home Made Pasta - How Long Can it Be Stored?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suzie45

Assistant Cook
Hi

I got a new pasta machine recently and have used it once to make linguine. I was surprised at how well it turned out. Cooked it al dente, and it was delicious.

However, I found that I had a lot left over and instead of reducing the recipe, I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will keep and how to store it? Since making it creates such a mess, it seems like it would be more efficient to make a bunch all at once.

Thanks!

I would freeze in batches. It can then be cooked from frozen - takes only a minute longer.

I guess you could dry it as well, but I don't know the best way.

So maybe just wrap it up well in plastic and then freeze. Thanks, I will try that! It didn't occur to me to freeze it - I guess because you never see pasta in the frozen aisle at the supermarket.

If they dried proparly they will less for quite a while, but that is the part of the problem. Mine never dry proparly and then they get moldy and spoiled. I make my by hand, so there is not much mess, and do not make to much. Still there are leftovers and have to be carefull how to store them

Place a couple of wood dowels (they are sold in three foot lengths) across the backs of two chairs and hang the pasta on the dowels until thoroughly dried.

So what do you think works better - if the ultimate goal is not to save it for a long time but rather to have the best-tasting pasta - freezing or drying?

Ha - good idea!!

Now, to figure out how to use the ravioli attachment! I'd love any tips from anyone who has done that with a pasta machine. It seems like the raviolis from the attachment will be mighty small, and I can't imagine I'll be able to get too much filling in there. Would it be better to just make nice thin sheets of pasta with the machine and then cut ravs by hand so I can make them big enough to stuff?

I would freeze in batches. It can then be cooked from frozen - takes only a minute longer.

I guess you could dry it as well, but I don't know the best way.

I have had much better luck with freezing fresh pasta for future use than trying to dry it. Somehow it doesn't want to dry evenly.

Ha - good idea!!

Now, to figure out how to use the ravioli attachment! I'd love any tips from anyone who has done that with a pasta machine. It seems like the raviolis from the attachment will be mighty small, and I can't imagine I'll be able to get too much filling in there. Would it be better to just make nice thin sheets of pasta with the machine and then cut ravs by hand so I can make them big enough to stuff?

I would make the sheets and then you can cut by hand or I have seen ravioli moulds (for want of a better word). Put the sheet on the mould and shape it to the holes, add your stuffing, brush with water and then put top sheet on to make your ravioli.

Thanks - I think I have seen those types of moulds. I don't like the itsy bitsy ravs that can't hold more than a thimble's worth of stuffing so I will try that route. I guess you just have to seal the edges firmly to avoid popping open.

I freeze mine in little nests. To make ravioli, I just roll out the dough with the pasta maker and then fill it and top it wil another roll of pasta and cut them out with the pizza cutter.

I lay the pasta on wax paper with a little flour sprinkled down first. Then I turn it whenever i pass by and leave it out to dry for about 48 hours. Then bag it up in a freezer bag and you should be good to go

I lay the pasta on wax paper with a little flour sprinkled down first. Then I turn it whenever i pass by and leave it out to dry for about 48 hours. Then bag it up in a freezer bag and you should be good to go

I would think it would absorb too much flour that way, no? :question:

not at all. My mother was married to an italian and that is how they dried their pasta

Back
Top Bottom