Niece update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Her surgery is November 20th. They are going to do a radical hysterectomy and remove lymph nodes to biopsy also. They were going to do a regular hysterectomy, but, the doctor said that IF she were to have any signs of cancer or precancer in the lymph nodes and had to do radiation, it would basically fry the ovaries anyway, so, my niece said get it all out.
She was going to beg to have the radical anyway because she doesn't want the risk of getting ovarian cancer later. With the risk in our family, I would have too. So, it will be over soon, thank god. I've already asked for that day off. He BETTER let me or there will be trouble!!:mad:

Her surgery is November 20th. They are going to do a radical hysterectomy and remove lymph nodes to biopsy also. They were going to do a regular hysterectomy, but, the doctor said that IF she were to have any signs of cancer or precancer in the lymph nodes and had to do radiation, it would basically fry the ovaries anyway, so, my niece said get it all out.
She was going to beg to have the radical anyway because she doesn't want the risk of getting ovarian cancer later. With the risk in our family, I would have too. So, it will be over soon, thank god. I've already asked for that day off. He BETTER let me or there will be trouble!!:mad:
Hang in there Texas, she has lots of prayers coming her way..Things will work out.
kadesma

I just want it to be over with and completely gone. The Oncologist did not have an attitude of doom and gloom as the GYN did. He seems to think that it has been caught in time, so, I pray that he is right. Being an GYN Oncologist, I trust his opinion.

I'm so glad to hear your niece has been able to get treatment! And that she feels solid about the treatment plan. Are there plenty of family and friends ready to help take care of her little ones while she's in hospital and during her recovery? No matter how quickly they get you in and out of the hospital these days, I think that's still a pretty major surgery and she'll definitely have some down time. Keep us updated on how she's doing.

lots of prayers going out for her successful surgery and recovery. It's so hard to watch things like this happening to young moms that you love.

Thanks

Thanks for keeping us informed. Your family are thought about everyday.

Cancer, will it ever go away? Now my friend just told me her son has cancer. Got operated on Sept 11. Now the WAIT! He told her, mom, one day at a time. How profound! Cancer must give one different perspective. If only my friend could take it that way. She doesn't want him to go before her she said.

After hearing others about their ordeals with this beast, I sure will keep my mouth shut. We all have to count our blessings, no matter how small they are.

Have a good day.

Trick with doctors is to only focus on the key points and not the doomsday message. They deal with this stuff every day and they see the negative bits and it changes their viewpoint without realising it. Tell your niece to focus on how she feels but to also keep her eyes firmly focussed on the future and just being happy. The more positive she stays, the better she will be. It also rubs off on the medical staff around her. That is my experience anyway.

Thankfully, I haven't had to endure cancer, and I hope never will, but I have had several years with the hospital system and I know how depressing it can be when you listen to the medicos. They work on stats as much as anything else, so while they are offering an educated opinion, that is just what it is. They can't predict things, so your niece needs to have faith in her own self. Not always easy but it is do-able.

The other thing I found is that the patient needs to be extra strong to provide emotional support to all those that care about her.

Good luck to her and you.

Thank you for the continued thoughts and prayers!!

bilby- thankfully, my niece is a strong strong person and she is doing well emotionally. She is still scared, but, she comes from good genes:angel:
I'm the emotional wreck in the family about things. But, I am also the one that starts studying and researching EVERYTHING that goes on medically. If I can't find it, I start asking questions from others. Thank goodness I have this home to come to and am able to talk to someone!!;)

TexasGirl, this might sound strange, but don't overeducate yourself. You certainly need to know what is going on and the right questions to ask and what to expect but the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" is especially true of things medical. It is very easy to over-worry yourself and to become pessimistic without realising it. I spent a lot of time with patients that had similar problems to myself and you would hear their stories and absorb it all and wonder if this was your future too. There were times though when you just wanted them all to shut up! Knowing what was likely to happen didn't make the happening any easier, nor did it stop it from happening. I'm not saying don't do it - you have to - but tread carefully for your sake and that of your niece's. Don't forget also that if you know too much, your worry will be harder to contain and more easily transferred to your niece.

Unenviable situation. Sorry you are having to go through it.

Powerful Words

your worry will be harder to contain and more easily transferred to your niece.

POWERFUL WORDS! Your words are like a good recipe to me. I personally, am going to copy and keep where I can refer to them in cases when I 'want' to do the most. The part of 'shutting up' is so hard. You want to help so much that you can feel the pain. I had done this so often and find myself trying to different. I always, always, and I mean forever put myself in their place and lean on prayer to help even though I wish I could make it go away myself.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. They are priceless. I am grateful to read your words. Need it at this time in my life.

bilby, don't worry. I don't overread into things like this. I didn't mean that I go off looking at everything that can go wrong, no, I go to the American Cancer Society and other places of this nature. I did the very same when my mom was diagnosed with Colon Cancer it helped me tremendously to know what was ahead in treatment, symptoms, emotions etc..
We are taking it day by day and we'll will deal with anything that happens and be overjoyed when it is all over and she is in the clear. I have faith that the surgery will be all that she needs.
I also don't take what others say as gospel either. I am able to read and listen to others experiences without jumping to the bad. My niece knows that I love her dearly and knows that we are all worried and scared for her, but, we do not go overboard and scare her. Like I said, my niece is strong. She is laughing and joking and being the person that she always is. We have gone this route before with my mom and it is nothing like hers. We knew she was going to die before it happened because it had spread so far. My niece will live a long and healthy life because it was caught in time.

texas

You sound good too! Keep on keepin' on. We are all keepin' you and your family in our thoughts and prayers

Back
Top Bottom