Tex-Mex recipes for Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2sammi

Assistant Cook
I am looking for some wonderful Tex-Mex recipes for a family party at Christmas time.....any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

What Tex Mex party would be complete without.....

Truly Tasty Refried Beans
These are thick and hearty, full of flavor!

1 large can of Refried Beans
or 2 small cans

1 tablespoon Bacon grease or Lard (optional but highly recommended)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/8 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp Pinto Bean flavoring if you can find it
if not, substitute 1 tsp Seasoning Salt
Secret Ingredient: 1 tsp Beef Buillion powder

Lightly saute the garlic and onion in the grease or lard.
Add the beans and spices, mix very well.

To Cook:
The secret to getting flavor in the beans is to cook
them down until they are thick and no longer runny.
This is best done in a no stick pan. Be sure to scrape the sides after each stir!

Heat over medium heat until nicely boiling. Reduce heat to a good simmer, and cover with a
splatter guard. Let simmer, stirring fairly often, until most of the liquid has boiled away.
When the beans stop pouring off the spoon, and start clinging, they are close to done.
From here on, it is a matter of preference; the longer you cook, the thicker they will be.
The beans will thicken when they cool.Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.

Good, hearty refried bean with some flavor to them!

Low fat Flautas (without tasting low fat)

24 corn tortillas
1 1/2 lb. smoked chicken breast, shreaded
8 oz. cheddar cheese
1 C. salsa
1 tsp. ground cumin

Combine everything except the tortillas. Heat the tortillas in the microwave to soften. Place 3 T. of chicken mixture on tortilla spread out and roll up. Place on a cookie sheet, spray with Pam amd bake at 425 for 15-20 min.

Serve with salsa, Guacamole or Queso.

Hello 2sammi:
How would you like some TOSTADAS? they are fried mexican tortillas. My friend used to put the tostadas une one big platter, and around you put in small bowls: refried mexican beans, cheddar or mozzarella -any cheese grated , lettuce shredded, onion cut small (if you like it), guacamole, tomato cut small. Also one bowl with thick cream. The idea is to
sprad the tortilla with the refried beans, and to put on top a little of the things that are in the bowls, according to your taste. Crown it with the cream.
If you like something different, try "chilaquiles", is a kind of "casserole" is easy too.

:)Menu at Epicurious.com
I have actually made this entire menu its a great one what I would change is to cook pork with the spices just add a little oil to the spices I would also taste salsa it may need a bit more sugar.I got rave reviews and they could not get enough of the salsa.Also it looks beautiful on the plate.
Give site several minutes to download its either my computer or the site that is dragging.

Last edited:
:)I just wanted to bump this up as it seems it got lost when it was moved.
One suggestion if you cant find the dried corn husks you could substitute parchment paper instead

The menu from Epicurious sounds wonderful; I know the pork is going on the menu. Love refired (as my DD calls them) beans. I have a month to try them out...Chicken enchiladas are going to be on the list, the pork, beans and some Spanish rice. I have some piñatas for the kids.

Thanks for you ideas and recipes..

Tamales! It's a big Tex-Mex tradition to have tamales at Christmas. Families get together and have a tamale-making day. Sometimes a church kitchen is used by the members for this purpose and the tamales are sold or given to the less fortunate. Some make tamales and sell them door-to-door. I buy mine at a local Hispanic farmer's market.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe. You can google tamales and find endless variations. They are labor-intensive and mine would never taste so good.

Although I'm not Hispanic, tamales on Christmas Eve has become tradition for us.

I love home made tamales...just home made from somebody elses home. We arent' Hispanic either but love the food. The reason for the Tex-Mex Christmas is my DH and I are moving to Texas within the next year or so.

One thing that is fun to do is to have a do-it-yourself bar. Make up a bean chili and a ground beef mixture (the bean chili will go for your vegan friends), then put out grated cheese, a couple kinds of salsa, both flour tortillas and corn "taco shells" (save yourself some grief, just buy them ready made). I like to put out a basket of corn chips. Oh, yes, if you have a crock pot, make up some chili con queso (OK, velveta cheese with some red salsa thrown in; nuke then put in the crock pot). This is great fun and the work is minimal.

Back
Top Bottom