Fricassée De Patate Anglaise Et Andouille

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cajun Cook

Senior Cook
Fricassée De Patate Anglaise Et Andouille
(Potato Stew With Andouille)
3779.jpg

Makes 4 to 6 Servings
"The first time I posted this recipe on our blog, my girlfriend and a friend of ours, Marybeth, quickly told me that they grew up calling this, "Ragu Patat". Since they are both from Golden Meadow, Louisiana, I figured they know best. So if you are ever in south Louisiana and want to order this at a restaurant, that is what to ask for."
Ingredients:

• 2 Cups of onion, medium dice
  • ½ Cup of corn oil
  • ½ Cup of all purpose flour
  • 2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
  • 1 Pound of andouille sausage, half inch slices
  • 1½ Quarts of chicken stock
  • 1 Tablespoon of minced fresh parsley
  • 1 Teaspoon of salt
  • ¼ Teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
  • ¼ Teaspoon of ground black pepper
  • 3 Pounds of Idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced
Directions:
First, divide the potatoes into two piles. Cut the first pile into large chunks, about an inch. The second, cut into bite size pieces and then put the potatoes aside for later. Next, you will make the roux. Heat the corn oil over medium-heat heat in a cast-iron Dutch oven for about 3 minutes. Gradually add the flour and begin whisking to form a loose paste. Keep whisking, being careful not to burn the mixture until it is medium brown in color. Add 1 cup of the onions to the roux, keeping the other cup in reserve. Continue stirring and cooking the roux for another 3 minutes until the onions have browned a bit. Take the roux off the burner and set aside. Next, heat the butter in a large skillet until the butter has melted and add the andouille and cook for about 3 minutes. Once the andouille has formed some crust, add the reserved cup of onion and cook for 6 minutes until the onions have browned as well. Remove from heat and set aside. Place the dutch oven with the roux back on the burner. Let it warm through a bit and then stir in the chicken stock. Once the mixture is smooth, bring it to a boil and then put it back on simmer. Add the andouille and onion mixture (including the drippings), parsley, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Mix well and then cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Now, add the first half of the potatoes that you cut into large chunks. Stir and then cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 20 minutes the potatoes should be fork tender. Take a potato masher and mash the potatoes right there in the pot. Bring back to a boil once more and then back to simmer. Finally, add the bite size potatoes to the pot and simmer for another 10 minutes.

Last edited:
LOL@ Justin Wilson reference. Now that it is starting to get cold at night here, we will start making this more often. Really good comfort food for a cold, rainy day.

Wow! I may have to wear some red suspenders to make that dish. Looks awsome! Thanks for sharing.

Oh man---No what I am cooking this weekend... I am drooling on the keyboard....

LOL - I was thinking this is something Justin Wilson would make, too ... but what wine to go with it??? ;)

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Well goodness this one really took off. LOL Be sure to let me know if y'all like it....and even if ya don't. (I promise my feelings won't be hurt). As far as what wine....I am thinking a nice Chateau De Swamp Water.

Forgive me for asking, but are there any substitutes for andouille? The recipe sounds wicked yummy, but I can 't get andouille in Scotland >.<

Sure Ari-elf. You can use any smoked sausage really, just use a pinch more cayanne pepper in the recipe. Hey, got a question for ya. Saw in your message that you are in Scotland. I have been reading about square sausage or lorne sausage. Got a fav recipe I could try?

Last edited:
Ari-elf, I don't see why you can't use any continental style sausage you like but the flavour will differ with the variety. Try for a spicer one though I would suggest. Don't think you can get it over here either.

Sweet. We usually buy our lorne sausage, but this site tends to be good for trad scottish recipes rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_sliced.htm

Ari-elf, I agree you can sustitute with smoked sausage but try your local market as sometimes I find it in with the other sausages and I am fairly far north for Cajun sausage. Also I would do a quich search for butchers or specialty meat markets in your area. You may get lucky and find the real deal.

I just noticed you are writing from Sotland, the land of my forefathers. You may not have as much luck as I was thinking. How about laying some traditional Scottish recipes on us when you get some time!

Slainte Mhath! ( I hope I did not butcher that too much, my brother is studying Gaelic and I hopefully have written Good Health. Please do ask me to pronouce it ;-))

I lived right down the road from Thibodaux for a few years, and everything I ate down there was delicious. It's amazing how Cajun cooks can turn even the simplest dish, like potato soup, into something special.
One night when DH feels like helping me, we will for sure try this one out! Thank you for sharing, CC.

Last edited:
Ari-elf, I agree you can sustitute with smoked sausage but try your local market as sometimes I find it in with the other sausages and I am fairly far north for Cajun sausage. Also I would do a quich search for butchers or specialty meat markets in your area. You may get lucky and find the real deal.

I just noticed you are writing from Sotland, the land of my forefathers. You may not have as much luck as I was thinking. How about laying some traditional Scottish recipes on us when you get some time!

Slainte Mhath! ( I hope I did not butcher that too much, my brother is studying Gaelic and I hopefully have written Good Health. Please do ask me to pronounce it ;-))

My husband, the native Scotsman, says that that is correct ^^. I'm actually an American of Armenian and Irish decent living in Scotland..so I don't know that many Scottish recipes yet, but I know quite a few Armenian ones ^^

Sweet. We usually buy our lorne sausage, but this site tends to be good for trad scottish recipes rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_sliced.htm

Thank you for the link Ari. It reminds me of a German breakfast loaf my Grandmother use to make called Goetta. You sliced off peices of it and fried it up. Really looking forward to trying the lorne sausage.

Jim

Last edited:
Hey Constance, where at around Thib did you live? Raceland, Chackbay, Choctaw, Vacherie?

Jim

I lived right down the road from Thibodaux for a few years, and everything I ate down there was delicious. It's amazing how Cajun cooks can turn even the simplest dish, like potato soup, into something special.
One night when DH feels like helping me, we will for sure try this one out! Thank you for sharing, CC.

Would like to back up bknox's suggestion. This doesn't have to be spicy to be good but you can always add a little extra cayenne if you are using a different style of sausage.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Cajun-cook,
Sorry, but there is nothing "anglaise" about this!

It seems to me like a simple variation of the SCOTTISH dish - STOVIES or Stoved Potatoes. Also, a roux would be unnecessary as thickening will be derived from the breakdown of potatoes as the dish cooks and therefore the quantity of liquid should be reduced somewhat.

Regards,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom