Sock Exchange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I have given up on my alternate universe theory. (Socks in the dryer are spun so fast some travel to an alternate universe so you end up with only one of the pair) My new theory is that socks travel to someone ELSE'S dryer and someone else has socks that should be in my dryer and I have socks that belong somewhere else.

I currently have a basket of 15 unmatched socks. Anyone want to see if we can match them up?? I'm willing to send them in the mail. I also have a favorite pair with one missing, I'd really like that one back. Its a white ankle sock Hush Puppy brand with a light blue stripe around the cuff. THANKS!

I feel your pain, Alix! :ermm: A couple of years ago, my friend Billy gave me a beautiful pair of turquoise tie-dyed socks. The first time I washed them, one disappeared. I keep hoping each time I do the wash that it will show up again. I have kept its lonely mate in hopes, but so far, nada! :(

I have one that is turquoise and purply striped here. It looks a little small but its all yours if you want it!

My kids have actually taken to wearing mismatched socks cuz it looks cool. Originally it was because they couldn't be bothered to match up their socks, and now they've totally whacked out my system so nothing hits the washer and dryer at the same time so EVERYTHING is mismatched. LOL.

I have one that is turquoise and purply striped here. It looks a little small but its all yours if you want it!
I'm afraid my feet are not small at all!

My kids have actually taken to wearing mismatched socks cuz it looks cool. Originally it was because they couldn't be bothered to match up their socks, and now they've totally whacked out my system so nothing hits the washer and dryer at the same time so EVERYTHING is mismatched. LOL.
That's one way to approach that problem! :LOL:

I agree with your theory - better than anything I've come up with. Otherwise I can't help. I make every effort to buy one standard color and style - navy blue. That way I always have matched pairs - automatically. Of course I have to replace matched pairs from time to time. :)

How funny. I, too, buy socks in groupings (white for workouts, black or navy for wearing with jeans or black slacks). For some reason, it is mine that disappear, rarely my husband's. If I ever buy anything cute or colorful, I'm lucky if they last through a few washings before one disappears. Luckily I'm tall, so have feet large enough to buy men's socks, which are cheaper and sturdier than women's. My sisters and I learned to swipe my dad's at an early age when we needed a pair of black in particular (Daddy was in the Air Force, so there was an endless supply of black socks in his drawer).

I know definitively where missing socks go!!!

They reincarnate as keys and appear in your desk drawer, your kitchen drawer, and on your keychain. So when you look at them, naturally you have no idea what the keys are to, because they aren't TO anything.

I am very sure of this, so wonder no more.

Lee

OH MY GOSH!!! I never put those things together Lee! I have to say though, I am still going to hold out hope that somewhere out there my sock will come home to me. And if I can send a sock to anyone out there missing one, well...I've got a few!

They reincarnate as keys and appear in your desk drawer, your kitchen drawer, and on your keychain. So when you look at them, naturally you have no idea what the keys are to, because they aren't TO anything.

Lee
OMG! I'm sure you're right! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I always had a problem with "odd" socks. Then I married my husband who claimed there was no such phenomena as disappearing socks. Well we have been married for a long time and none of his socks are ever missing. Hmmmm. I still lose one of mine now and again. I suspect he keeps spares around to secretly match them.

Be careful because your washer and dryer will soon catch on to this and you will end up with either all holey gray socks or one giant sock.

I can't remember the movie (or was it a newer Twilight Zone?), but I'm sure most of you have seen it. In this movie everything that has been lost ends up in this big warehouse. LOL

Ok, here is a true story. When my daughter Nancy was 10 months old she was sitting in her high-chair, drinking milk from her little pink cup. When it was empty she accidentally knocked it off the tray. I watched it fall and hit the floor, but since Nancy needed to be cleaned up I decided to get the cup later. That was over 27 years ago. Everything has been moved out of the dining room and nearby pantry several times since then, when cleaning, and to this day that cup has never been found. So when something goes missing we say it is in the "Land of the Little Pink Cup!"

:)Barbara

How funny. I never made the key connection. I live in a 150+ year old house and have a drawer full of keys that I have no idea what they go with. We went a few years wishing we could lock one bathroom door (we kept a door stop in it and warned people to be polite). Turned out we had a key all the time; it just looked identical to another key. We've got 150+year old keys. We've got modern keys. I do believe that my missing socks are turning into keys.

It helps if you fold your dirty socks together and turn the cuffs down, holding them together, before you put them in the dirty clothes basket. Unfold them when you put them in the washer, of course, but at least they'll both be in the same load of wash.
When you take the laundry out of the dryer, give the larger items a good shake. You'll be surprised how many socks will come out of sweater sleeves.

When the children were young, and they started getting low on socks, I looked under their beds. Of course I found a lot of other things under there as well. When you tell a child to clean up his room, a lot of things tend to go under the bed...cereal bowls, soda cans, unfinished homework, notes from the teacher, dirty underwear...and when they get older, girlie magazines, cigarettes, and rolling papers along with the other stuff.

I knew someone who always had a safety pin on the right sock. Finally I asked and it was so that when the socks came off, they were immediately pinned together and stayed that way through the wash.

I have found my sock answer. I bought 4 fabric lined boxes, one for each person in the family. When I do the sock load, I sort them according to whose they are. Everybody takes their bin and sorts/matches. If they don't have their match, they stay in the bin.

Lee

That explains a lot! Those reincarnated sock/keys appear in more places than you might think. I've got a one-gallon ziplock bag half-full of keys that I've found with my metal detectors.

I have found my sock answer. I bought 4 fabric lined boxes, one for each person in the family. When I do the sock load, I sort them according to whose they are. Everybody takes their bin and sorts/matches. If they don't have their match, they stay in the bin.

Love this idea, (and the pin one too). I have a similar system. I have one basket and all the socks go into it...except mine. I fold all the laundry and I match my own socks as I go. If I HAPPEN to see a match of someone else's as I'm folding they will get the pair in their pile, otherwise, its fend for yourself. I am sick to freaking death of folding socks. I once mentioned to my DH that if he wants to put me in the mood he should fold all the socks!

Back
Top Bottom