Expiration date for desserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poizon

Assistant Cook
any idea how long?

trifles
bars
brownies
cookies
cakes
whipped cream

Welcome to DC Poizon! I'm new too. Are all of these commercially made up products? Homemade? or are some of them packet mixes? If they are made up, it will in part depend on how they are stored and what they are made of. I put biscuits and cakes into ziplock bags and get a fair bit more life out of them. Also depends a bit on the climate. In summer here, I have no hope of storing a cake for any length of time out of the fridge but the rest of the year, a dark cupboard is good enough.

In our house, I don't get a chance to find this out - they tend to just disappear.

As Bilby says it depends on the ingriedients and where they are stored.

Items with fresh cream should be stored in a fridge and used very quickly. The others should last if kept iin an airtight container but I would say at the most a week, then again again fruit cakes (especially with brandy poured into them can last months), my mother in law make the Christmas cake at least a month in advance.

You might get some ideas from checking the bakery section in your supermarket and look at the expiry dates on there fresh baked/made stuff.

Yea, I'm with miniman... no need for experation dates, we just bet on how long we think they will be around the house. If you need some help eatin them... give me a shout out!

The trifle may be a very short keeper depending on the fruit used in it as some fruits deteoriate quicker than others, even in a jelly. If the fruits are canned, then the cream and custard are the things to go off first. If the fruit is fresh, well ...

Fruit cakes, pound cakes, sponges all freeze well as well as the other items mentioned. If you have all these things to use up, my suggestion would be to freeze everything that you aren't going to be able to eat within say four days. The trifle would need to be one of those items. Everything else can then be eaten at will.

Personally, I tend to use my senses, if it doesn't smell bad or look bad but I am still dubious, I just do a bit of a taste test. I use expiry dates only as a guide as they are only useful for average storage and transport conditions - at best. Sunday nights I can be found intimately peering at items in my fridge ready for the rubbish collection on Monday mornings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom