Fluffygirl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
fluffygrrl said:
Hey there.

I've been lurking forever around here, read most of your posts. You generally seem to know what you're talking about, so here's the thing.

I've found this recipe, do you think it would actually be any good ? It's kinda hard to tell just from the pics.

My husband keeps talking about this incredible stu he ate once when he was out on business, and I'm not so good with stuff like stus. What do you think, should I give it a try ?

Yeah, I think it would be good. I haven't used that recipe but have made oxtail soup quite a few times.

NOTE: tried to reply to your PM, system said you couldn't get a PM?:wacko:

Last edited:
Rob this user has been banned. Her only purpose from coming to DC was to spam it's members.

At times like this, I'm glad I'm not real popular. I didn't get the infamous pm.
Don't worry, she would have gotten to you too if she had had the time, but you can only send so many PMs at a time! She was banned before she got that far.

:) Barbara

For Fluffy Girl

Hi F.G. I couldn't send you a PM as you have that feature turned off. But in response to your request, I am giving you an answer.

fluffygrrl said:
Hey there...

My husband keeps talking about this incredible stu he ate once when he was out on business, and I'm not so good with stuff like stus. What do you think, should I give it a try ?

I think it sounds like a fine stew, but involves too much work.

Any way you make it, stew involves time. Stewing is a method of cooking cheaper quality meats to tender perfection, both making the meat more enjoyable, and decreasing the meal cost by putting filling veggies and other ingredients together with the meat. These ingredients compliment each other in flavor and nutrition. Plus, what's better on a cold November night than to snuggle up with your hubby on the couch with a big mug of stew in both of your hands.

Here's a classic stew just for you.

Ingredients:
2 yukon gold potatoes
1 yellow onion
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
1 can whole-kernel corn
1 1/2 pounds chuck steak or roast
salt
coarse-grind black pepper
4 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. thyme
dash of allspice
3 tbs. Sunflower or Safflower oil

Heat the oil in a 3 quart pot.
Peel the potatoes and cut into eight equal chunks. Peel and cut the carrots into bite-sized chunks.
Peel and quarter the onion, from top to bottom. Cut each quarter in half, sideways. Peel and dice the garlic colves. Place the prepared veggies, and minced garlic into the hot oil and lightly cook them, stirring every couple of minutes, until lightly browned. This will bring out their flavor better.

While the veggies are browning, dice the meat into 1/2 inch cubes. Remove the veggies to a bowl and set aside. Place the meat cubes into the same pot as you cooked the veggies in. Increase the heat to medium high and stir-fry the meat until lightly browned and the juices run clear. Turn the heat to simmer and lightly salt the meat. Add 1/2 cup of water, turn the heat to simmer, cover, and let the meat braise for an hour. Check every 20 minutes or so and add just enough liquid to almost cover the meat. The idea is to braise the meat to tender perfection without boiling away its flavor.

After the hour has passed, add the veggies, including the corn, back in with 2 cups of water. Add the herbs, salt, and pepper, a little at a time. Let the flavorings cook for about ten minutes and taste the broth. Correct the seasoning by adding more herbs, or salt, or pepper to taste. Turn heat to medium, cover, and let cook for about an about 30 minutes more.

Finishing act #1: Make a slurry of 3 heaping tbs. cornstarch with three tbs. water. Slowly drizzle this into the stew-pot while gently stirring. This should thicken the broth into a good gravy. Make more slurry and add it to the stew if required.

Finishing act #2: Melt 3 tbs. butter in another sauce pan. Add 4 tbs. flour to the same pan, along with a pinch of salt. cook over medium heat until the flour jsut begins to turn brown. Stir in a ladle-full of the stew liquid. Stir with a balloon whisk. The mixture should get very thick, almost like a dough. Not to worry though. Add another ladle-full of broth and continue stirring. Repeat until you have a thick, and silky-smooth sauce. Stir this sauce into the stew to thicken the remaining broth. Taste the gravy again. Correct the seasoning. Serve with whole grain mini-loaves, or whole-grain dinner rolls, and your favorite beverage (make mine milk please).

I prefer the flour based gravy. My wife insists on the cornstarch based gravy. So, I usually divide the stew into two parts and thicken hers with corstarch, and mine with the flour roux. Works for me, works for her. Hope it works for you.

You can play with this stew, adding things like sun-dried tomato, saute'd mushrooms, green beans, etc. You can do this. It's easy, if time consuming.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. I hope I have given you a recipe that you will love.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hi GoodWeed. You've been gone for a couple of days so you didn't know you've been the victim of a hit-and-run. Lots of us were, too, and there are no less than 3 threads devoted to FluffyGirl. Anyway, that you posted this recipe just proves you are a very nice person!!! I would have copied it except I believe it is already in your excellent cookbooks (which I just happen to own!)

LOL That is the same message she sent me. I contacted GB when I noticed the "banned" on her profile. Not sure what she is up to but I am here for culinary fun. Don't need any drama in my life or need to be drawn into any.

Thanks everyone. And yep, I've been busy. Work has been rather hectic of late, and then my furnace quit working, which I repaired tonight (it was the hot-surface igniter and I had a spare from the last time it went out. They only last a couple of years before needing replacement so I got 2). Plus, you know I had to treat the kids who had the guts to show up on our very chilly Holloween night, with a devil that flew along an invisible piec of mono-filament fishing line from the upstairs bathroom to the planter pole in the middle of my front yard. The devil was run up and down the line with the help of a second fishing line attached to one of my poles. You should have seen the responses. It was great. Sadly, due to the weather, we only had a dozen or so kids show up. Oh well, I'll have lots of candy for next year. Just throw the stuff from this year in two zip-locks and then into the freezer. The two bags keep the candy very fresh, and free from freezer burn.

And Fisher's Mom, glad you like the cookbooks. It makes me feel great that you find them helpful.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sorry about your furnace GW. I only got central heat last year, but before that it was an 85 year old monster in the basement that had originally been a coal burner but was converted to a gas burner somewhere along the way. Finding (or usually trying to make) parts was an adventure!

Your cookbooks are now my kitchen bible. I have made notes as I work through them and intend to send the notes to you when I get them in order. That way you'll know just how much you've helped me. Especially with understanding the basics like what the characteristics are of different cuts of meat and how to cook them to bring out the best. Also explaining the mechanisms of different methods of cooking ie: braising, pan frying, roasting, etc. Sorry this is off topic but thanks again, GW.

Sorry about your furnace GW. I only got central heat last year, but before that it was an 85 year old monster in the basement that had originally been a coal burner but was converted to a gas burner somewhere along the way. Finding (or usually trying to make) parts was an adventure!

Your cookbooks are now my kitchen bible. I have made notes as I work through them and intend to send the notes to you when I get them in order. That way you'll know just how much you've helped me. Especially with understanding the basics like what the characteristics are of different cuts of meat and how to cook them to bring out the best. Also explaining the mechanisms of different methods of cooking ie: braising, pan frying, roasting, etc. Sorry this is off topic but thanks again, GW.

The goal of these books is to give you a basic understanding of the cooking world. There is so much more that isn't in them, such as pairing the right sauce profiles with various foods, or for that matter, the many types of sauces, including the Mother Sauces, and their derivatives, Asian Sauces, curries, Itallian, foods of central Europe, and a host of other food ideas.

But as I was saying, getting the basics down allows you to learn the varied techniques for making everything from peking duck to tournedos to home-made pate's.

You mission, should you decide to accept it, is to learn everything about food that you wish to learn, and pass that information on to your own family and freinds, maybe write a cookbook or two, and sell them to me.
Ahhhhahahahahahahah.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Rob this user has been banned. Her only purpose from coming to DC was to spam it's members.

Didn't notice that til later. Funny thing is that the site she linked to is actually an interesting site. I used to hang at the forum there in fact; seems like it's been down sporadically for almost a year. "Zeno" is quite the character, truth be told!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom