Czeck Pork Loin with potatoes, carrots, dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Czeck Pork Loin with potatoes, carrots, dumplings--note change in recipe..

A friend of mine had hand surgery and she couldn't cook this week. All her friends have been cooking for them all week. The husband isn't a cook, although he does grill quite well.

Tonight I tried a new recipe and it is outrageously good!! It was a little scary taking something I had never tried before.

Czeck pork loin--
1/2 pork loin
red potatoes
carrots
onion
dumplings(I use biscuits in a tube, you can make your own)
Milk
Beer
Dijon mustard
Caraway seeds
pepper
salt
Vegetable oil
Garlic powder

2 tbls vegetable oil, about the same amount of Dijon Mustard, couple Tbls of Caraway seeds, tsp of black pepper, tsp of salt, tbls garlic powder. -- Make a paste..

Brown the pork loin in a little oil. rub the above paste all over the loin
Slice the onion and lay on the bottom of the roasting pan.
Lay the coated loin in the center on top of the onions.

Place halved red potatoes around roast, put baby carrots where ever they fit, just place them on the potatoes, they will steam.

Pour 8oz beer around the roast over the veggies. Add about the same amount of water. Cover and place in a 350F oven for 3.5 hours.

Remove everything but the broth from the pan. Bring the broth to a boil on top of the stove, crack open the bisquits and place them into the broth, cover and let them boil/steam until they are done(touch them, they should push back).
While that is cooking, in a bowl mix up 2 tbls of cornstarch with milk.
When dumplings are done remove them and pour in the milk/starch mixture and bring to a boil. When thickened to a thick cream state, pour the gravy through a strainer over the meat, potatoes, carrots, onion and Dumplings...

Delicious!!!!!! It is very similar to a dish I used to get at the Prague in Vermillion Ohio... only this is better!!!!

Here is the roast in the pan I moved it to before the dumplings and gravy..

medium.jpg

Here it is with the dumpings and gravy...

medium.jpg

Last edited:
That looks so good. I am printing the recipe as I type. You said 1/2 of a pork loin. Approx. how many pounds did you cook? I'm thinking about the 3 hours in a 350 oven.

That looks so good. I am printing the recipe as I type. You said 1/2 of a pork loin. Approx. how many pounds did you cook? I'm thinking about the 3 hours in a 350 oven.

The piece I had was about 3.5lbs. It was probably done after 2.5 hrs. I just wanted to make sure the carrots were tender.

As I reflect back on it, this is probably one of my favorite dishes now. It was so "comfortable" as lack of a better word....

That really looks tasty, with and without the dumplings/gravy.
Which beer would you recommend for it - an ale, lager or..?

BTW, what a nice thing to bring such a lovely dish to your friends!

That really looks tasty, with and without the dumplings/gravy.
Which beer would you recommend for it - an ale, lager or..?

BTW, what a nice thing to bring such a lovely dish to your friends!

I used a can of Miller high life....

Note change in the recipe. I forgot to list the garlic powder in the paste mix...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom