Pepperoni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
Usually I get the little cheap packets of sliced pepperoni from the grocery store... but I figured I'm a big boy now, I've got this jumbo sized Kitchen Aid Food processor to play with, Let me buy some fresh pepperonie or whole pepperoni or how ever it comes slice it up and see if I can tell/ taste the difference.
Well the first thing I am seeing is that it's so hard I could play baseball with it.
Is it supposed to be hard.
Taste test comes later...I am waiting for dough to rise.

Sadly I don't :(

My aunt makes the BEST pizza in the whole world.... but she never shares recipes :(

I hope there's some top secret file somewhere that contains all of her recipes, she can't possibly ever leave this world without passing them along.

vilasman, get yourself to a good italian deli, or better yet a salumeria, and try different types of dried or cured sausages, called salume. pepperoni is only 1 kind of salume. there are dozens of different kinds, like salami, cappicola, sopressata, coppa, mortadella, and so on. you could make a meal out of a few pieces of salume, cheese, roasted peppers and olives, a hunk of bread, and a glass of wine. i do it once in a while as a treat.

I hate to ask you this, but what are you going to do to the pepperoni with the food processor?

If you're going to slice it, I'm not sure how well that would work, since pepperoni is so hard and is usually sliced thin.

I'm going to have to echo Psiguyy. There are certain things food processors can do (even really expensive ones), and slicing pepperoni is definitely not one of them. In fact, you might even do in your processor's motor just trying.

The pelican head slicing attachment or the roto type slicing attachment on your kitchenaid mixer can handle slicing pepperoni.

So can the motors on the 20 cup Cuisinart or the Robot Coupe food processors.

Actually my 11cu kitchen Aid 670 went right through it. I'll never make pizza dough in it again... that gummed it and slowed it down pretty good, maybe my pepperoni wasnt hard enough. And it sliced thin too. All of the slices were thinner than what I get from the store, most of them were consistent but a few were thin, thinner and thinnest. Thin enough to see through. To me it went through the pepperoni just as easily as it does squash and Zucchini

I guess I'm still living in the dark ages. Slicing discs must have improved greatly. I may have to start looking at new processors.

I dont know about the dark ages thing, I do know that the slice blade on my food processor is so sharp that if you look at it to hard you'll get a cut.

I probably should have said "There are certain things food processors can do and slicing pepperoni 'to the right thickness' is definitely not one of them."

Pepperoni, because of it's high fat content, loses a lot of volume during baking. Thin pepperoni is great for sandwich making or eating, but when you put it on a pizza it practically melts into thin air. I've tried to compensate for thin pepperoni by doubling/tripling and the end result is never as good as when the pepperoni is the right thickness to begin with. 1/8" seems to be the magic number. There isn't a non commercial food processor on the planet that can do that.

I do take my pizza pretty seriously. Maybe a little too seriously. You may be okay with wispy pepperoni. I'm not.

this slices that i made yesterday, the regular sized ones didnt disappear into the pizza. I will try the thickest slicing blade that I have for the food processor and see what comes out. And better yet, I will go over to the kitchenaid discussion board and ask the question... can this food processor comfortably make 1/8 slices Now of course I will agree with you that if it is mechancially possible for the machine to slice the pepperoni with out immediately catching on fire, they will probably say that their machine can do the job.
And i would have to ask you, when you say that there isnt a non commercial machine on the planent that can slice 1/8 pepperoni are you taking into consideration a 6 qt k/a mixer with slicing attachment?

But in any case... if K/A claims that their machine can do it and my machine actually does it...
It might be time for you to consider a new food processor.
And the new 12 cu k/a has just as big of a feed tube as a cusinart.

Just so we are not comparing mini apples with jumbo sized apples, the pepperoni I have was about as big around...somewhere between a quarter and a 1/2 dollar

Vilasman1,

Yes, quarter/half dollar diameter pepperoni. My favorite brand is Hormel Rosa, which is pretty hard to slice, even by hand. I'll still apply my claim to any brand with that diameter.

My statement applies strictly to food processors. The K/A mixer attachment may be able to do it, I'm not familiar with how it works.

Although I can picture a K/A or Cuisinart food processor shaving off pieces of pepperoni, I just can't see it having the necessary momentum/torque to hack off a 1/8" chunk. Honestly, I hope I'm wrong, because that would be a good sign that I can go out, buy the thicker slicing disc for my cuisinart and slice pepperoni. From the physics involved, though, I'm skeptical.

i will go to k/a discussions and post question now , i will post here when i get answer

scott123 said:
Vilasman1,

Yes, quarter/half dollar diameter pepperoni. My favorite brand is Hormel Rosa, which is pretty hard to slice, even by hand. I'll still apply my claim to any brand with that diameter.

My statement applies strictly to food processors. The K/A mixer attachment may be able to do it, I'm not familiar with how it works.

Although I can picture a K/A or Cuisinart food processor shaving off pieces of pepperoni, I just can't see it having the necessary momentum/torque to hack off a 1/8" chunk. Honestly, I hope I'm wrong, because that would be a good sign that I can go out, buy the thicker slicing disc for my cuisinart and slice pepperoni. From the physics involved, though, I'm skeptical.

I bet you cash money, the Pelican head or the rotor slicing attachments can handle pepperoni of whatever thickness! I would also be willing to bet the 20 cup Cuisinart or the Robot coupe food processors can handle the thick slices also!

Here is the text of the reply from one of the kitchen aid furom moderators, they didnt see any problem with it slicing pepperoni. In reply to this I directly asked if the machine would have a hard time with slicing it. I should get a reply sometime tonite or tomorrow

KitchenAid Conversations
KitchenAid Conversations
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
You are logged on as
vilasman
All Forums
Food Processor
Imagine What You Can Do with Our Discs!
Slicing pepperoni New Topic Reply to Topic
Send Topic to a Friend
Printer Friendly
Author Topic Next Topic

Vilasman

10 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 : 2:26:12 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
I have a kp fp670, is there a disc/ will that food processor make 1/8inch slices of pepperoni from a quarter sized stick of pepperoni?

kitchenaidkelly01

786 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 : 3:35:12 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
Hello..the medium slicing disc slices at 1/8 inch..it's the 4mm one included with your model processor..Have you tried it, but found it too thin?

KitchenAidKelly
Go to Top of Page

Vilasman

10 Posts

NOT MODERATED!!! Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote Delete Reply
well the slicees werent consistent through the whole piece of pepperoni but i can live with that. The reason i asked is a compadre was of the opinion that there wasn't a non commercial food processor made that could slice pepperoni. I told them that mine did and they couldn't believe it. So I figured maybe I ought to ask to see if I was pushing my machine beyond it's limits. And then they said if it is true, if your machine can slice pepperoni, well they might just have to trot right down to their local Kitchen Aid dealer and pick out a shiny new one for themselves.
Go to Top of Page
Topic Next Topic
New Topic Reply to Topic
Send Topic to a Friend
Printer Friendly
Jump To:
KitchenAid Conversations © Kitchenaid 2003 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

The last reply from K/A HQ

Hi "Vilas", KitchenAid Rita here....

You might get even better results if the pepperonni is very well chilled or partially frozen. Kudos to you for persuading your friends!! We would love for everyone to be a KitchenAid fan!!

KitchenAidRita

Back
Top Bottom