German Chocolate Cake (Not a Recipe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I just discovered something so neat! Almost my whole life I have always had German Chocolate Cake on my birthday. I was telling James the other day that German Chocolate Cake is not from Germany but was made from Baker's German Chocolate (used to be called Baker's German's Chocolate) which was created by an American named Sam German.

Anyway, I was printing an article about it (to prove this to James) and I just discovered that the cake I love so much is the same age as me! The first recorded recipe for German Chocolate Cake was published in 1957, the same year I was "published!" How cool is that?!

:)Barbara

I just discovered something so neat! Almost my whole life I have always had German Chocolate Cake on my birthday. I was telling James the other day that German Chocolate Cake is not from Germany but was made from Baker's German Chocolate (used to be called Baker's German's Chocolate) which was created by an American named Sam German.

Anyway, I was printing an article about it (to prove this to James) and I just discovered that the cake I love so much is the same age as me! The first recorded recipe for German Chocolate Cake was published in 1957, the same year I was "published!" How cool is that?!

:)I also was born in 1957.

I was published the next year ...

The Baker Chocolate factory, where they made German's chocolate is only a few blocks from my house. They have turned it into condos!

Yeah, my Dad and I love German Chocolate cake. I was his birthday present (he wanted twins, but got me instead), so Mom lucked out with us since we both loved it. She would triple the pecan icing for it and after icing the layers Dad would get the icing bowl and everything that was left in it, and the next year it was mine. Yum, yum! Next year I'll be hitting the big 5-0 and Dad (God willing will still be around) will be 82, so we're going to get together and hopefully talk Mom into making another German Chocolate cake. Can't wait.;)

Very cool, Barbara :)

I found that out a few years ago (that it was named for Sam German) when Cook's Illustrated published an article about making German chocolate cake. It finally explained why none of our three German exchange students had ever heard of it :LOL:

Since James can't be here for my birthday tomorrow we had our German Chocolate Cake and ice cream yesterday before he left for the week. I was going to send a piece with him so he could have some tomorrow, but he said things sometimes have a way of disappearing from the refrigerator there, so I will be working on it through the week. :-p

I wondered 'cause I naver heard of a german chocolate cake, so there was just a small chance it comes from G...
but now I know I didn't miss anything ;o))

That is the neatest thing!!!! I was also born in 1957.I wonder what other "famous" recipes got their start that year?!?

Yes we did Dina! We actually had it Sunday before James left, and I worked on the rest of it until it was gone Wednesday! It wasn't home-made, but it was actually almost as good as home-made.

:cool:Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom