ISO Simple green bean recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
Any suggestions for green beans? I have a couple pounds fresh (well not sure how fresh!) that I would like to serve as a side. Something that won't compete with the main dish which is baked ziti with four cheese and tomato sauce. Also meatballs and pork. Can I just broil them with olive oil? I think I have too many to saute on the burner.

I half boil, half steam them in a pot, then drain the water and add olive oil, butter and Italian seasoning and cook them with the lid off.... kind of "softly" frying them I guess :) Works for me.

Although.... in a thread I have here on green beans someone suggested cooking them with bacon, onions, s&p.
Got 'em going right now for lunch :chef:

lunch.jpg

I wouldn't broil green beans. They'll burn up before they're cooked.

As an accompaniment to what you are making, you might consider roasting them and then drizzling them with some good olive oil and a dusting of parm reg or romano cheese -- maybe a spritz of lemon, too.

Or boiling them/steaming them and tossing with some garlic butter and salt.

My standbys are onion and bacon and teriyaki stir fry, but neither of those seems particularly suited for your meal.

Oops I meant roast. I have roasted other veggies with just olive oil s&p and wondered about green beans. I think maybe just steaming or boiling them would be my best solution.

You might try...simmering until crisp tender and drain. Warm some EVoo in a pan with sliced/diced garlic for a few minutes. Add the beans, and toss until hot. Sprinkle with a flake salt and......Enjoy!

Cooks illustrated had a good recipe for green beans in the oven, off the top of my head;

Preheat oven to 425°F
Arrange on a baking sheet
Drizzle with olive oil
Sprinkle ¼ tsp salt over beans
Bake approximately 8 to 12 min

It sounds odd but the beans will caramelize in spots & the baking seems to concentrate their flavors.

You might try...simmering until crisp tender and drain. Warm some EVoo in a pan with sliced/diced garlic for a few minutes. Add the beans, and toss until hot. Sprinkle with a flake salt and......Enjoy!
You beat me to it, Uncle Bob! :rolleyes: that's pretty much what I do. Blanch them, shock in cold water, then when ready to serve, heat a pan, add evoo, the beans and slivers of garlic and toss so all the beans get coated with the evoo. Put a lid on and let kind of steam for about 3 minutes so they cook through. :chef:

Cooks illustrated had a good recipe for green beans in the oven, off the top of my head;

Preheat oven to 425°F
Drizzle with olive oil

It sounds odd but the beans will caramelize in spots & the baking seems to concentrate their flavors.

I do something similar with asparagus sometimes. It's a nice change.

Preheat oven to 425°F
Drizzle with olive oil

That's roasting :) It makes just about any veggie especially delicious.

I know this is an old threat, but I thought it'd be "better" for me to ask my question here, than start a whole new one.

I have some fresh green beans, and was thinking about serving them with my pulled pork tonight. The only way i've ever made fresh green beans is boiling them in water with s&p, and seasoned salt..

I like the idea of making them with the bacon, onions, and s&p..

I also like Uncle Bobs suggestion about tossing them with some garlic..

Which do you think would go best with my meal?

I think either one would work well. If you decide to go with the bacon recipe, I would cook the bacon by itself till crisp, remove from the pan and drain on paper towels, then cook the beans and onions in the bacon fat. When done, drain, put in a serving dish, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon and pepper.

If I am having a main course, like pork roast, which I usually make potatoes with too, I like the green beans to be on the "lite" side. I put a lot of beans in a smallish pot with a lid so some boil but most steam, then drain the water, season with s&p and a little Italian seasoning and lightly fry in some EVOO.
I save the bacon and onions when I want them to be a main part of the meal, like if I am reheating one pork chop for lunch and need something hearty to go along with it. Then I will cook them together with the bacon and onions in the bacon grease and also add EVOO. That can really clog you.... I mean fill you up ;)
BTW, I found the prepackaged green beans. Greenlee (?) Haricot Verts, to be far superior to the ones you buy in bulk. Well worth the extra $.
Just my thoughts

Steam them til crispy tender, then blanch in cold water to set the color.

Put them in the fridge til dinner time.

About 5-10 mins before plating, toss them in a skillet or saute with a splash of olive oil.

When the beans warm through, throw in some crumbled gorgonzola and toss to partially melt the cheese.

Plate immediately and garnish with chopped walnuts.

:chef:

You can make individual pouches or one big pouch. You may have to adjust the time for cooking. My son likes to sprinkle fresh grated Parmesan cheese over his beans. Don't be shy with the garlic.This can be cooked in the oven also at 350 degrees.
Enjoy! Debbie

FOILED ITALIAN GREEN BEANS
img_550119_0_48ac2a41b0ecb3f911ba7bbe5104a254.jpg

GREEN BEANS; Fresh.
ZESTY ITALIAN SALAD DRESSING MIX; Or Plain Italian.
ONION; Chopped, To Taste.
GARLIC; Minced, To Taste.
SALT; To Taste.
BLACK PEPPER; To Taste.
_____

Snap green beans to desired length.
Place beans on sheet of heavy duty foil.
Sprinkle chopped onions and garlic over beans.
Season beans with salt and pepper to taste.
Drizzle a little Italian dressing over beans; you don't need a lot.
Fold foil over and seal edges to form packet.
Place on BBQ grill and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes or until tender crisp.
_____

I have been reading these threads and noticed a lot of people seem to boil or steam first, then later saute in a pan.
We always just took a packet of fresh frozen green beans and threw them into a hot pan with some EVOO, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss em around in the pan for awhile, and then add some Carribean Jerk Sauce. Cook awhile longer then dump into the bowl and serve.
They always turned out good for us, and tasty, and still have good color. So why the extra step to steam first? Is it just because you are preparing it ahead of time? Or is there another reason?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom