Chicken Tagine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ari-elf

Assistant Cook
My mom went on a Moroccan kick, and this is one the recipes I made all the time.

1 2.5 lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces
3T olive oil
1 c yellow onion-diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
1 3/4 lbs of eggplant, cubbed and salted for 20 minutes
3c chicken stock
1.5 cinnamon sticks
1t curry powder
1t cumin-ground
1/4t turmeric
1/4t black pepper
1 lrg carrot, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1md turnip, cut into 1/2 inch dice
2c tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 med. zucchini cut into 1/2 inch dice
1/2 medium red pepper,cut into 1/2 inch dice
1/2 cup golden raisins
2T coriander leaves

Skin and defat the chicken (I have skipped this step before, and it's turned out fine)
Heat a frying pan with 1T of oil, and sauté the chicken until browned. In a large pot, heat 2T of oil and add the garlic, onions, eggplant and saute for 5-10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, cinnamon, curry, cumin, turmeric and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the dark meat, carrot, zucchini, turnip and red pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the white meat, tomatoes and raisins, as well as 1T of coriander. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve over couscous with pita bread. Yum!

I used this recipe as a base for a dish Sunday, and it's a keeper! I didn't have eggplant or turnip, so added a can of chick peas, and lb of spinch (cut into thick strips). Added some dried apricots as I only had 1/4 C raisins. Thanks for a great recipe!!

Ari-Elf, Thanks for the recipe - I have it copied and saved and thanks Loprraine for confirming the recipe with suggestions! I saved your contribution with Ari-Elf's recipe. This is great, from Scotland to Canada to me in Marion, OH USA. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom