What is a classic mojito?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
What is the usual liquor in a mojito and what ingredients usually go in?

EDIT: Okay I looked up that it is rum ... does anyone have suggestions as to which rum is best?

Last edited:
Okay I looked up that it is rum ... does anyone have suggestions as to which rum is best?

Ask any 100 people and you're likely to get at least 80 answers. When I drank, I always preferred Puerto Rican rums, i.e. Baccardi. Some people swear by Captain Morgan, while I usually just swore AT it.

Forbes has a list of 10 Remarkable Rums, but I wouldn't use any of these to make mijitos, Cuba Libres, or any other mixed drink. These rums were made to be savored naturally.

since you'll be mixing so much into it, just go with Bacardi. Anything better would require no additions of any kind.

Which Rum is best is a very subjective. I drink bourbon, and if you ask me for my favorite I would say today my top 5 are...ABCDE....Two days later it might me CABDF or BCDAQ.
Anyway, for your purpose try Bacardi, Captain Morgan or.......

Old New Orleans Rum

I'm a professional Mojito drinker/maker and I would NEVER use Captn Morgans! Only Bacardi...mmmmmm. I haven't made one in a couple months!

Ask any 100 people and you're likely to get at least 80 answers. When I drank, I always preferred Puerto Rican rums, i.e. Baccardi. Some people swear by Captain Morgan, while I usually just swore AT it.

Forbes has a list of 10 Remarkable Rums, but I wouldn't use any of these to make mijitos, Cuba Libres, or any other mixed drink. These rums were made to be savored naturally.

I've had one with Cap't Morgans. Pretty good really. I prefer the simpler flavors of a say Mount Gay or Bacardi gold. They let the flavors of the mint shine through a bit better.

I am the person who started the Mojito craze over 10 years ago. Barcardi is good if you are making a bunch for a group of people who happen to have three taste buds or if they are rednecks. I happen to be the latter.

For a really good Mojito ZAYA rum is perfect.

For the big batch method (Barcardi)s For peps w/ 3 taste buds or rednecks.

I soak my mint leave in the HOT simple syrup for a few minutes. NOT TO LONG or it will get bitter. If you want add fresh lime juice to the mixture. Also you can use Sierra Mist instead of club soda to make things faster. Garnish with a mint leaf and people love it. This is fast and easy to make a bunch.

Don't do this with ZAYA. It is to good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom