So I made the soup,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
if you can call it soup, ich. It was a split pea soup. Made it the way I always do. Tasted, it was great, perfectly seasoned, did not any salt or pepper or anythig else. Turned of and let it seat till diner. When it was served, at diner time, maybe a couple of hours latter, it was completely tastless. There was no seasoning at all. I don't understand, this has never happened to me before. One minute it is seasoned, next one it is not. :mad:

if you can call it soup, ich. It was a split pea soup. Made it the way I always do. Tasted, it was great, perfectly seasoned, did not any salt or pepper or anythig else. Turned of and let it seat till diner. When it was served, at diner time, maybe a couple of hours latter, it was completely tastless. There was no seasoning at all. I don't understand, this has never happened to me before. One minute it is seasoned, next one it is not. :mad:

Weird question...did you add potatoes to it? They have a tendency to suck up salt and such....

If you don't add salt and pepper while you are cooking it, it will have no appreciable flavor when you go to serve it. It doesn't take much salt added during the cooking process to lift the flavor of whatever you are cooking.

I can't remember the last time I made plain old split pea soup. That is, without a huge ham bone or smoked ham hocks. However, regardless of how I prepare mine, I always add chopped onion, salt, pepper and bay leaf as it cooks.

I made so much soup last time that I (happily) had three 1-quart containers to put in the freezer. Yum!

Last edited:
:)What did you put in it?I use onions,celery,carrot,bayleaf,garlic,thyme s+p ,ham hock or cut up ham some chicken base a few good squirts of maggi.OH,and yes split peas I do the same for lentil soup and my butter bean soup.

Weird question...did you add potatoes to it? They have a tendency to suck up salt and such....

Potatoes don't suck up salt, they absorb liquid. The potato/salt thing is a wives tale, I'm afraid.

If the soup tasted unseasoned, you probably didn't season it. It is always a good idea to taste what you cook very often while you are cooking it to adjust the seasoning.

Folks, folks did any body read what I said? Here let me repeat, soup was done, I tasted for seasoning and it was perfect. it di not need any more seasoning, none, not salt, not peper, nothing. it was great. Even I liked it. I turned the soup off, I did not add anything, it was seating on the stove untill diner at which time it was reheated and served. And it was terible.

Folks, folks did any body read what I said? Here let me repeat, soup was done, I tasted for seasoning and it was perfect. it di not need any more seasoning, none, not salt, not peper, nothing. it was great. Even I liked it. I turned the soup off, I did not add anything, it was seating on the stove untill diner at which time it was reheated and served. And it was terible.

During that time, did you eat or drink anything? If I make something early in the day for dinner, then snack on.....lets say.....some nuclear buffalo wings and a coupla cocktails, the dish just doesn't seem the same later. The good thing is, you didn't wind up with over-seasoned soup.:chef:

Did you save some? How's it taste today?

I end up dumping a good part of it. I just couldn't deal with it. It was absolutely tasteless. I kept it for 3-4 days tried to add salt and pepper but it still did not tast good.
To answer your question, no I really did not ate anything at the time of tasting, or after that.

:) Even though both of the above could be applied to me every so often this time it was not the case. Soup was exelent when I tasted, but when it came time to eat it nobody liked it. Something definetely went wrong, as if some chemical reaction happened between the tasting and serving times. Weird, very weird.

Those are my only guesses. What kind of cooking vessel did you use? Maybe YT has some idea if there was a chemical reaction.

CharlieD, I know you said you tasted it when it was done, and it tasted fine.

When you normally make this, do you add salt and pepper?

When you reheated the soup, did you add more liquid?

Did anything change from the previous pots you made? A different pot? A different stove? Was the soup scorched at the bottom whatsoever? Did the texture change? What exactly did you do when you reheated it?

I am so curious.

Yes i normaly cook with salt and peper, and taste at the end to make sure there is enough of both, which I did this time too, it was perfect. I did not add anything at the end. It was just seating on the stove cooling down and i reheated before serving. Something weird happend, something realy strange as if there was a slow reacting chemical added and it took time for it to do its dirty work.

Maybe, but it is a 5 quart pot, there is not enough condinsation on the lid to dilute that much soup. No, I start to think that there was something in the potatoes that were slowly reacting witht he rest of the soup and ruin the taste in the end.

Was it a non stick anodized aluminum pan? I have had

the dark coating come off on some of them. If that happens it exposes a silvery layer, which I assume is un-anodized aluminum, and there could be a reaction with the metal underneath the non stick coating. It wouldn't take much of a scratch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom