Gift for someone who hates everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flukx

Senior Cook
Maybe we should have a "Way Off Topic" forum...This would certainly fit. At least with the holidays approaching we all might be able to learn something valuable here.

The dilemma is...

I think we may all have come across people who are impossible to buy gifts for. In my case, its a 17 year old sister of my girlfriend who hates everything except 1) boys 2) hip-hop music (though probably impossible to choose anything because her taste is based on what is not only popular, but considered "good" among friends, a very dangerous avenue to tread and 3) tennis (already has everything she needs and I dont have a ton of money for new equipment).

Other than cash (or maybe a gift certificate), what is a universally enjoyed gift? Or at least in the collective DC experience, what makes for a good gift for this type of person?

Does she have an iPod? If so, a gift certificate to iTunes so she can pick her own music.

if she hates Everything then buy her Nothing, you`re going to get Shot Anyway, may as well save a few bucks! :cool:

pity you can`t buy a "better attitude" on eBay, I`m sure that would make Next Christmas much easier :rolleyes:

Everything!

this topic is so appropriate for my one brother. He resents things 'made in China'. The only way I can give him something is to make it. Always happy when I make something that he can eat. But he does certainly have a point. Maybe he knew about the big toy recall from things 'made in China'.

The only solution for someone who hates everything is to make something you know that they like to eat and then you have to include how many calories t hey are trying to avoid.

Just knowing someone thought of me is a gift to me. You call that 'easy'?

What if they hate everthing including gift cards!!! I have a couple of those on my list and there is no way I can skip buying them a gift. Ughhhhh! Another reason why I call it the Holidaze!!!!

While she doesnt have an iPod (yet), iTunes gift certificate could be a good idea regardless since you dont really need an iPod for this. Hrmm..

Does she have an iPod? If so, a gift certificate to iTunes so she can pick her own music.
The new advantage of iTunes is you don't have to have an iPod to use the gift cards. You can just download music to your PC and have it available if you ever get an iPod. I would go for that. Getting her nothing will cause more drama than you want on Christmas day (I should know, I have a 16 year old daughter ~ you have my sympathy).

You really can't go wrong with a teenage girl and a gift certificate. If she wears make up, and there's one close, give her a Sephora gift certificate (also works through their website). My daughter would die for one of those. Claires is another option if she wears jewelry (they have funky stuff). Or just get a certificate to the mall, although she probably hates the mall. If she's got a car, get her a gas card. Everyone can use one of those these days.

With the limited intel, it's hard to fully help in this situation.

Maybe a good book, or a Movie would work....A Christmas Carol, by Dickens would be a good place to start!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Just tell her: - you get no present because you are so picky! or is it pricky?
Just kidding.

Can you talk to her friends or kids her age? See what they would recomend.

Thing is, I am in Germany. So, at 17 you cant drive yet (although gasoline gift cert. is an interesting idea). Gift certificates to a clothes store would be something, but thought of that and decided for whatever reason I want to avoid it. I suppose I could find stores similar to Claire's or Sephora's here and take that route.

I will be coming to the US over Thanksgiving and thought about things you can get in the US but not here and drew something of a blank, though that is a potential avenue. Bath and Body was also an idea, but dont think thats her thing.

I still think I am leaning towards the iTunes certificate...

Last edited:
What if they hate everthing including gift cards!!! I have a couple of those on my list and there is no way I can skip buying them a gift. Ughhhhh! Another reason why I call it the Holidaze!!!!

What about a donation to a charity in their name/honor? Anyone who complains about not liking that gift is the one who's going to look bad.;)

Maybe a good book, or a Movie would work....A Christmas Carol, by Dickens would be a good place to start!

Enjoy!
Unless she's an avid reader, it's likely she's already overwhelmed with reading and I don't think a 17 year old would appreciate that book. My 16 year olds reaction was, shall we say, less than enthusiastic (to say the least :ROFLMAO:)

When I was 17 my mother gave me a suitcase......

It matched her set. Not sure what the message was there.

If she has an Ipod you could get her a customized skin for it and an iTunes card.

What about a donation to a charity in their name/honor? Anyone who complains about not liking that gift is the one who's going to look bad.;)

I like this PABaker. now I know what my brother is getting for Christmas! something I know he will like. He is type who gives to all the family and does without himself. This is right up his tree. Now to figure out which one to give to. Too many choices to consider. I have given to many already for our family. May not be over $100 but I give. This weekend Boy Scouts are coming for some of my staples. Have to remember, no glass jars. Sure appreciate your suggestion and hope you get what you want. This sure was best suggestion, to me anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom