Lasagna Must Travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pblady

Assistant Cook
I need to go from Sarasota, Fl to West Palm Beach, Fl on Thanksgiving. I will be taking Lasagna. My question is do I bake the Lasagna the night before and reheat or bake when I get to WPB. Please help me.

Thanks for your help. I see this is a problem with many solutions. I'm still concerned about transporting the lasagna to West Palm Beach. Should I freeze it for one night?

Guess that depends somewhat on the weather and how long it takes you to go from A to B. (Sorry but Florida distances mean nothing to me - different country!)

If the weather is hot and you will take several hours to get there, then I would freeze it but start to defrost it before leaving so that it stays cool while travelling but isn't frozen when you get there.

If the temp will be cool and only takes an hour or so, ice packs in an esky would probably be fine.

Whichever the situation, freezing isn't going to hurt it. Just allow for the defrosting time or defrost it in a microwave when you get there.

Other issue to consider if you freeze it is whether the container you will cook it in can go into the freezer and then back into an oven while still cold, without damaging your dish. Minor point in a way but you don't want to be transferring lasagna between dishes in case you rip the sheets. Ways around it though if you have to.

I made one 3 days ahead of time last week and worked very well. I did not bake it, I assembled and froze it, it took at least 6-8 hours to thaw on the counter, so I bet the ride would be just fine.

The only change I would make is the pan.... Gladware makes a 9x13 (or so) disposable that can be frozen AND baked in. I would use that next time, I used a non-stick brownie pan and the coating sorta stuck to my lasagna. :ohmy:

Now I have to go bakeware shopping. Bummer!

May I ask was the lasagna watery at all? My husband doesn't like it when there is water in the lasagna.

No not at all, in fact it was a bit dry.... well not dry. but for a lasagne it was. I'm not really helping am I......:wacko:
I used the no-boil noodles, I also wont do that again I don't think. I also make my own spaghetti sauce in big batches and freeze it, and I don't care for a watery sauce, so my sauce is rather thick.

Lasagna when reheated becomes much less watery than after the original baking. I do not why. Also it could be specifick to the lasagna I make.
As far as your first question goes if you read that wedding thread you'd seen that i am a big proponent of baking, freazing (if needs to be kept for a while) and then reheating.

How long of a trip is it? If you can bake it the night before and refrigerate and just reheat it the next day.

I need to go from Sarasota, Fl to West Palm Beach, Fl on Thanksgiving. I will be taking Lasagna. My question is do I bake the Lasagna the night before and reheat or bake when I get to WPB. Please help me.

According to Mapquest, it's almost 200 miles, about a 3.5 hour trip. I would make it the night before and refrigerate without baking. When you leave, put it in a cooler with ice packs; it will be fine till you get there. Then bake it for at least 1 hour, maybe 1 hour and 15 minutes, till bubbly.

I would go with that also. I only did mine so far ahead because of fridge space and having to work the day of and before my shindig.

I would absolutely definetely bake it, freeze and freeze it. By that time you get to your destination it will defrost, all you have to do is just reheat.

PBLady, also consider what access you will have to the oven when you get to your host's location. If they are also doing a lot of cooking, you may not have as much time as you will need to cook from scratch. Just a thought.

Seems to be a few of those, must be the holidays.

Then there's the new folks like me, that feel they must constantly post and talk to everyone...... :wacko:

We like folks like you Suzi, I'm here all the time, unless i am at home where i do not get to use pc, the line is too long. The wife, the kids, forget about... ;)

That's such a bummer though. There were a bunch of post that seemed to be from "new" cooks and I really wanted to know how these things worked out for them. Oh well, stupid me for having enough time to care.

That, actually has been one of my big complains. People come here or elswhere ask a question, other people take the time to post the answer, maybe even do a research beforee posting that answer. Wouldn't you expext a thank you. I know this is Internet, new aga and all of that, but hey i am an old style i guess. When somebody does something i've been told to say thank you. I really hope peole have enough style to do just that. or to say hey this is what i did. I did or did not use your advise, something. I thing it should become a new age rule!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom