Computer crashed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Well, my computer finally bit the dust this time. Was on the phone all day and noone could help. Seems, my computer is basically obsolete. I need some crucial updates and 5 of them crash my computer, so, I can't take them. Well, I am thinking of getting one through a rent to own because, with Christmas coming, I can't afford to just go buy one outright. My computer only had the basic ram and stuff. The one I'm looking to get is a DEll with a 10" widescreen, AMD Sempron {?} 3600+ Processor, 1GB memory, 60GB hard drive, 24x combo cd-rw/dvd, vista and ms works 8.5.
Is this a good choice as far as memory? Mine bogged down so horribly and I know it was the memory that did it. I couldn't even download Mcafee because of not having enough memory. I know it will cost me more by renting to own, but, it's not too bad. It will come to about $1200.00 in the end. What do you think of the memory and what it comes with, is it good?
Mine main things are my Kodak gallery and Itunes. Music and pics are what I have. Nothing else really big.

Your specs sound fine. That's enough capacity to handle most. I have 2 Gb of RAM and a 60 GB hard drive and that's plenty for me.

I have heard that MS Vista is experiencing problems. You may want to stick with an XP operating sytem.

My laptop has been giving me problems, so I've been watching a few on ebay. I'm confused about specs myself. Anyone know what windows XP 'pro' means? Think mine is Home edition? Good luck TG. Buying another puter can be very confusing.

Texasgirl, can you just buy a stick of RAM for your old system and keep it limping along til you can afford a new system? We did that and it works well for us.

XP is a version of the Windows operating system. Pro is the most complete version. The home version has fewer features and is less costly for home users.

MS has a newer operating system called Vista but I have heard of problems.

XP is a version of the Windows operating system. Pro is the most complete version. The home version has fewer features and is less costly for home users.

MS has a newer operating system called Vista but I have heard of problems.

So, Pro would be better than what I have now (home edition)? Vista is a little scary for me, as I've never used it.

I bid on a (used) wireless (same model I have now), on ebay, and some dummy placed bids at close to $6,000 - when it only should have gone as high as $300-400)... so the laptop was relisted, even though I was next to top bidder. (It is used - but for about a year.) I'm a little miffed the seller didn't offer me a second chance buy.

TG, didn't want to hijack your question. Maybe you could consider a used puter with more memory. That's what I'm looking at, but undecided myself.

Last edited:
Texasgirl, can you just buy a stick of RAM for your old system and keep it limping along til you can afford a new system? We did that and it works well for us.
That would work, except, my security won't even work right.:ohmy:

OK, I live in computer heck here so I completely sympathize. Google a site called CastleCops and they will walk you thru getting your security up and running. Trust me on this, these guys know what they are doing and will help you. Buy some more RAM and give that a go. Much cheaper solution til after the holidays. The computer companies will all be having sales after Christmas too so if you can just patch up your system...

Good Luck TG.

Edit: Oops, didn't think that my He__ word was on the censor.

OK, I live in computer heck here so I completely sympathize. Google a site called CastleCops and they will walk you thru getting your security up and running. Trust me on this, these guys know what they are doing and will help you. Buy some more RAM and give that a go. Much cheaper solution til after the holidays. The computer companies will all be having sales after Christmas too so if you can just patch up your system...

Good Luck TG.

Edit: Oops, didn't think that my He__ word was on the censor.

Yeah, I can try them, but, even the guys that are with the company for the security took hold of my computer and couldn't get it going because their software upgrades to meet Microsoft and without those updates, it won't work right.

Yep, been there. You need the RAM so that you can GET the upgrades. What a pain in the butt huh?

Texasgirl, is it *memory* (aka RAM, the 1 GB you mentioned in the specs) or *hard drive space* that you think is causing your problems? Alix and Andy are talking about two different things. When you say you couldn't download McAfee because of "memory," I wonder if you're referring to disk space.

I used to do desktop support and network adminstration IRL - now I do Web site design. My PC here at work has 1 GB RAM and a 145 GB hard drive (probably way more than most people will need) and I'm runnng Windows XP Pro. I routinely have 7 or more programs open at one time and have no problems with RAM, although I could use another gig - couldn't we all? :)

Make sure the system you're considering is expandable, so you can always add more of either when you need it.

1gb of ram will be fine for what you want to do, but the more the better. Especially since iTunes is such a hog.

Have you priced out buying a new computer? I just got my wife a new Dell laptop with 2gb of memory and 80gb hard drive for around $600. I am sure a desktop version will be cheaper than that. $1200 is a lot for what you will end up with.

That part that has me concerned the most though is the 10" widescreen. Is that number correct? That seems VERY small to me.

Amy, pro would not necessarily be better than what you have. If you are not having any problems then stick with what works for you. Pro is more for advanced users.

My wife has Vista. We have not had any problems with it, but there are some things that are annoying. I like XP better.

They have a good deal at Comp USA on Black Friday if you have one near by. Here is the snipit of the ad.

20071114180038.jpg

1gb of ram will be fine for what you want to do, but the more the better. Especially since iTunes is such a hog.

Have you priced out buying a new computer? I just got my wife a new Dell laptop with 2gb of memory and 80gb hard drive for around $600. I am sure a desktop version will be cheaper than that. $1200 is a lot for what you will end up with.

That part that has me concerned the most though is the 10" widescreen. Is that number correct? That seems VERY small to me.

:LOL:OMG, finger went haywire, it's a 19" widescreen.
I know that $1200 is a lot, but, right now, with medical bills, property taxes and Christmas, I just can't do anything but this. We never do this at all. We don't even do credit cards. DH motto, if I dont have the cash for it, then, I don't need it. Of course, emergencies are a little different and frankly, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!!:ROFLMAO:

I had a feeling it must have been a typo :)

Well in that case, it will work for what you want it for. It certainly will not be the best machine in the world, but that is not what you are after anyway. Go for it.

Texasgirl, is it *memory* (aka RAM, the 1 GB you mentioned in the specs) or *hard drive space* that you think is causing your problems? Alix and Andy are talking about two different things. When you say you couldn't download McAfee because of "memory," I wonder if you're referring to disk space.

I used to do desktop support and network adminstration IRL - now I do Web site design. My PC here at work has 1 GB RAM and a 145 GB hard drive (probably way more than most people will need) and I'm runnng Windows XP Pro. I routinely have 7 or more programs open at one time and have no problems with RAM, although I could use another gig - couldn't we all? :)

Make sure the system you're considering is expandable, so you can always add more of either when you need it.

What my computer has is really sad, 518mb of ram and 20gb of hard drive.

Yeah that won't get you far. that 518 is killing you I am sure. You will see a huge difference if you get the machine you are looking at.

I know that $1200 is a lot, but, right now, with medical bills, property taxes and Christmas, I just can't do anything but this. We never do this at all. We don't even do credit cards. DH motto, if I dont have the cash for it, then, I don't need it. Of course, emergencies are a little different and frankly, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!!:ROFLMAO:

You might want to look into the financing options they offer at Wal-Mart and Circuit City and compare the cost to the rent-to-own option. It seems to me that $1200 is double or more the original cost of a decent PC - if you have good credit, you should be able to get a better deal than that. Good luck.

I agree that what you are getting is not worth the price. I would look into getting a used one for a few months until you have enough $$ to get another unit.

Here is a link to Dells site with the low end at $499 with better specs than what you listed.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom