No oven racks...what do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolyn

Assistant Cook
I recently moved into a new apartment and the oven came without any racks! Is there something else I can use until I can find some racks?

Might be a tad hard to find in Key West. Find the make and model to locate some online, or if you're good at measuring, take some measurments to find some that way.

....or, let the landlord deal with it.

Well if you need to bake something imidiately just use on of those big foil pans upside down on the bottom, poke few hole s thru in the bottom and then put whatever you are baking on the top.

But yes definitely complain to landlord and have them give you a new stove. Good luck.

That would work to get the pan up in the air so heat can circulate around the pan. However, it may leave the pan too close to the bottom where the heat comes from and could cause burning on the bottom of the pan.

Write a note to your landlord telling them this - then walk it down to the office and tell them your oven doesn't have any racks - and hand them the note! Chances are - they have another vacant unit they can steal the racks from.

Write a note to your landlord telling them this - then walk it down to the office and tell them your oven doesn't have any racks - and hand them the note! Chances are - they have another vacant unit they can steal the racks from.
:)Yep,the landlord needs to take care of it ,its not up to you to fix the problem with your own money.Let them know the holidays are comming up and the racks are needed.But tell them in a nice way you will get better results.

First, what sort of creep takes the oven racks when they move out?

Sounding off complete, if this is a rental, it is the landlord's problem 100 percent.

But trying to get many landlords to actually take care of a problem like this can, at least in my experience, be a tedious and frustrating problem. If your water does not work, they gotta do something. But many may not move too fast to correct your absent oven racks.

Like the idea of getting the landlord to grab one from an empty rental if there is one available, but that may not be an option.

If this is a rental with several other units, there may be someone who has two racks in their oven and never uses more than one. Maybe you could ask about borrowing one. Particularly if you need the oven for T-day.

If this is your own place would try to get the model number, or at least the measurements of the needed, and see if you can find a replacement, even on the web.

As a last resort there are folks who weld things together and could probably make one or two.

That's all I got. Good luck.

Do you not have a second-hand stove retailer or a junk-man you can approach. Things like stoves are sold for junk metal and you might find that they can give you one or two for nothing or not much anyway. You can always sterilise them if you have any concerns about the dealers!! Likewise, we have road-side collections where people put junk on the footpath/verge/nature strip (take your preferred term) and people take what they want. Or contact the manufacturer and see if they can help you. Some do it out of the goodness of their heart just to create goodwill with the customers.

Definitely approach your landlord but at the same time try other methods. I wouldn't want to rely on a landlord for my Thanksgiving dinner!!

Back
Top Bottom