ISO Vietnamese Curry Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gossie

Sous Chef
About 20 years ago, I had a curry soup at a Vietnamese restaurant. It was way too good. :0) I remember it having a hunk of meat, I'm thinking pork, but not sure, and the curry soup around it. :)

Any ideas??

Nope!! Just had a look at a couple of Vietnamese recipe websites that I have in my favourites and can't see anything that meets your description. Did it have noodles in the bowl?

No noodles. See, it's been 20 years, so all that I really remember is that it was delicious. I'm wondering tho, it might not have been soup, it might have been something you serve over rice?

I checked recipesource.com ... There is one for chicken, but I don't see why I can't use another type of meat.

Oh and how about having a look at a Vietnamese restaurant's menu. Should be able to find one online. Help you narrow it down. I haven't eaten Vietnamese for quite a few years - tend to eat more Chinese, Japanese and Thai.

The sad thing is, is that it wasn't even my dish, my friend had ordered it. So I didn't have the pleasure of reading it and committing it to memory.

<off to look for a Vietnamese restaurant menu>

Thanks Bilby :)

Don't suppose your friend would remember it any better, that is if you are still in contact? Might have become one of your friend's regular dishes since.

It was a place in San Diego proper. I'm back in CT .. I have asked him about it, and he said the place closed a few years back. Oh well. I'll keep looking. Even if I don't find that one, that link that sent was wonderful. I'm tempted to try a few of them. :)

Well let us know how you go. Be interested. Otherwise go Thai - they have heaps of curry dishes! Japanese is sweeter though.

My all time favourite curry dish is prawns in Thai green curry sauce (very thick, not soup like) and served in a lettuce cup. Yum!!!!!

Not really as I cheat and use store-bought paste but in principle:

I individually place all the green prawns in the frying pan over a low heat - oh and I had garlic and butter in the pan at the start. When pan is full, I then turn them all over - that's as long as it takes to cook them. Then I pour in either the ready made sauce (which already has the coconut cream in or I have mixed the paste into the coconut cream). You don't want a lot, only enough to cover the prawns. I then continue cooking over a higher heat until the sauce starts to thicken more and begins bubbling. It should start to ever so slight brown at the edges of the pan. I then immediately remove to the iceberg lettuce cups. I always make more than I need as I love them as just a cold snack. The curry flavour becomes more mild but more intense - if that makes sense!

If you want to make the green curry paste from scratch, the Bite of Asia site is bound to have a recipe.

Back
Top Bottom