Accents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliev

Washing Up
Do accents rub off on you? I have been told that I talk like a canadian, but I pick up most accents easily.

They rub off on me anyway....years ago we had friends from Kentucky; we were playing cards one night and I noticed some funny looks....they thought I was making fun of them! I now make a special effort NOT to pick up the accent of someone I'm speaking with but it does take an effort. :oops:

For me it's an unconscious reaction when I have the minority accent in a group. But I have one of those white bread-and-mayo midwestern accents that soak up exotica like a sponge.

I grew up in Boston with a British mom, I never did pick up the Bostonian accent [thank god!] there are 4 words that I say that one would be able to tell where I am from [boston, coffee, hawk and aunt] I make fun of hubby because of how heavy his lowng island accent is and BTW there is no W in cowffee but there is one in hawk.

Well, I catch myself all the time speaking Canadian... I say "oot" instead of "out".. LOL.. and I say "eh" constantly... well, that sounds better than "huh?"

I spoke to a southern belle this morning.. so I'll be saying "Y'all" now quite a bit.

I usually pick up accents very quickly, but I haven't (I don't think!) picked one up since moving to South Carolina. I think it is because there are so many different dialects in the area where I live (especially about 40 miles south of here, where I lived when I first moved to SC). I do find myself sounding a little southern now and then. I do say "y'all," but I will never say "ain't." When I first moved to SC I could hardly understand anyone. I would have to tell the kids that I couldn't hear them over the air conditioner and I would ask them to repeat it. I guess you learn to listen differently, as I can understand almost everyone now. There are a few dialects around here that are so thick you could cut them with a knife. I still have a little trouble understanding some people!

I spent a few months in Minnesota when I was 19. I sounded almost like a native within a few weeks. When I spent time with my Philippina friend I sounded just like her. I'm really surprised I haven't picked up a heavy accent here.

Maybe subconsciously I am trying to hold onto part of California, since I know I will most likely live here the rest of my life. 8)

:) Barbara

Hey Julie, I realize the "oot" thing is considered typically Canadian, but it is as regional as a southern drawl is there. It is a very Eastern thing. Here in Alberta, we sound very Midwest accent wise. My Mom however, sounds like whatever person we are talking to. She lapses into their speech rhythm immediately...very funny, and often disconcerting to the person she is speaking to!

I was 35 when I moved from Southern California to Southeast Kansas and within a year I had unknowenly picked up the southern acent.

i don't pick up accents, JV, but my parents do.
they used to travel a lot and would come home with southern accents a lot. hypocrites, lol... they made thier children speak perfect English; even local accents were taboo.
i don't even speak like a Pittsburgher. i wasn't allowed to as a kid, and it stuck with me.
then when it's finally ingrained in us that we must speak clearly to others and without accent of any sort, they hop on a plane and return sounding like Scarlett O'Hara and calling people they don't know 'honey' and referring to iced tea as 'sweet tea'.

Alix said:
Hey Julie, I realize the "oot" thing is considered typically Canadian, but it is as regional as a southern drawl is there. It is a very Eastern thing. Here in Alberta, we sound very Midwest accent wise. My Mom however, sounds like whatever person we are talking to. She lapses into their speech rhythm immediately...very funny, and often disconcerting to the person she is speaking to!

Hey, I have heard people from Alberta say "oot." I think it's cute.

My aunt lived in NY state her whole life then moved to NC... you should hear her accent.. sounds like she was raised there.

if you want to drive an irish person crazy, start to speak with a irish accent around them. it's infectious, especially after a few, but it really annoys them.
now scottish accents are fun, and i don't think they mind, so long as you are buying.

born and raised in cleveland, but after being around my whole family i notice that west virginian accent sneaks it's way out of my mouth from time to time

I have on Paula Dean in the background... "Y'all" is going to stick forever... I'll never be rid of it... I'll be saying that and "eh" in the same conversation.. scary :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom