How can I prevent bitter tomato sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewokroub

Assistant Cook
I have made spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes from my garden. I peeled the tomatoes after blanching and put them in pot to cook down. Added garlic, italian seasoning, onions, canned tomato sauce, hot italian sausage, hamburger and red peppers. I like to let my sauce simmer for a couple days. This is the first time I have done the fresh tomato thing and the sauce is bitter, it almost has a effervescent taste to me. What can I do to fix it? I have not had a bitter problem before when cooking for a long time and slowly.
Can anyone help? Thank You

ewok,

Thanks for stopping by discusscooking. I have never made tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes so I am only going to be able to guess. You may need to add a little sugar. I'm sorry I can't help you but maybe someone who has done this with fresh tomatoes can help.

I never use fresh tomatoes for tomato sauce because I think they lack a certain flavor - LOL, it's probably preservatives! :rolleyes:

Keep checking back for some answers.

Hi starrleicht,

I think when I did try to make it one time (way back when!!!) with fresh tomatoes I just didn't have really good tomatoes. Knowing me it was probably January or something like that :rolleyes:

I'll have to try again next summer when all my gardening friends have too many again.

I just wish I knew how to answer the above question :(

Bitter Tomatoe Sauce

:confused: I had read on another cooking site that baking soda works. Well, I tried a little bit with a small bowl out of the batch. IT WORKED:cool: But when I tried it on the whole batch, I put in a little bit, it was better but not quite enough. So I put some more in:eek: Unfortunately, I either put too much in or not sure what happened but it got a really funny taste. Not sure what was wrong but it was ruined.:( I usually use sugar but wanted to find some other way, because I am sure there is enough sugar in our diets already!

It may be that the herbs are the culprit - some of them tend to get bitter with long cooking. If this were my batch of sauce, I'd ladle out a cup or so and experiment: a bit of lemon juice, taste; some dried basil, rubbed almost to a powder in the palm of my hand, taste; oregano ditto, taste; you get the idea. When I got it to where I wanted it, I'd do likewise with the whole batch. Oh - I'd also probably add a dab or so of tomato paste to the experiment. Hair of the dog department I guess. Anyway, this is how I slog my way out of my own culinary surprises.:p

Hope this helps!:cool:

ewokroub - I have overdone baking soda before and it definately leaves a bad taste in the food - and I have thrown out an entire pot of spaghetti sauce before :(

Next time you'll be better prepared. Thanks for stopping by and come back and visit often.

O yeah - that baking soda can really do a number on the ol' taste buds. I've made a few batches of biscuits that carried a faint but distinct flavor of soap, owing to too much of the stuff. I just put more pepper in the gravy and served 'em anyway . . .

oh - about soda ruining spag sauce: it just occurred to me that soda works only in the presence of acid, so i wonder if too much soda can be counteracted by adding some vinegar or lemon juice . . .

Apropos of nothing in particular: I made a batch of hot-and-sour soup tonight, one of those clean-out-the-fridge affairs, with some chicken base and some veg base added . . . it wasn't bad, all things considered . . . especially after I decided to add half a green tomato cut into suitable sizes . . . Man. The things one concocts when living alone and reluctant to do any real cooking!!

Soda overdone spoils Spag sauce

I wish I would have thought about the fact that my when testing the water in my aquarium for PH balance there is a solution for PH Up and PH Down! Like Leigh said about counteracting the acid with soda that possibly adding more acid would count- eract the soda! :confused: BUT (there always seems to be a but) I wonder if that might have enhanced some of the chemical-like taste that too much soda seems to give!

I do know that after all the work to making the fresh tomato spag sauce, in this case, was definitely NOT worth it! I think if I have a bumper crop of tomatoes again, I might do well to learn to can them and that might take care of the acid problem, otherwise....Hunt's Whole Tomatoes in the vegetable aisle are looking pretty darn good and as close to "Fresh Homemade" sauce that I will ever need to be!!!!:D

mmmmmmmmmmm... kind of like when I add too much salt to my salsa and conteract it with more lime juice. That's one thing I don't like about my banana bread sometimes - somehow the baking powder collects on the bottom and it gives it that bitter taste.

I just need to use self-rising instead I guess. Being the non-baker that I am, that is what I would do, isn't it? Take out the salt and baking powder and just use the same amount of self-rising as all-purpose?

Tomato sauce

You might want to try raising the heat a little and cooking the sauce for just one day. Instead of using tomato sauce, try unsing tomato paste it makes the spaghetti sauce thicker. Also did you check for any bad spots on your tomatoes and remove them before blanching and peeling? You amy also want to saute your vegetables before you add them to the sauce it increases their flavor and takes some of the bitterness out of the peppers.

One other thing I wouldn't use baking soda under any circumstances; it destroys all the vitamins in the vegetables your cooking, not just the tomatoes.

I hope this helps.:)

Thanks for your tips Regina. It's good to see you back here again! That is definately a good tip about the baking soda. I didn't know that.

Bitter tomato sauce

having read all the threads, I can only assume that the tomatoes used were not sun-ripe enough. This makes them acid. You really need fresh tomatoes bathed and baked in sunlight in order to get the right sugar balance in the fruit - just like grapes. Then, there are certain varieties of tomato that are higher in sugar, lower in juice, and altogether better for cooking.

I have never heard of using baking soda with tomatoes. Has anyone thought of using *fructose* instead of plain sugar?

Anyway, for what it's worth, my recipe for tomato sauce for spaghetti or other forms of pasta is:

There are two versions! The quick one, and the long one.

Briefly, the quick one involves: Onion, Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil(usually abbreviated as EVOO), FRESH sweet basil - none of your dried stuff - and 2 cans of Italian tomatoes. Soften up the first lot of ingredients and then add the tomatoes, and reduce until you have a sauce consistency. Make sure that the pasta is really well drained. Add back to the pan in which it was cooked. Add in the tomato sauce and bring to the boil again, ensuring that the pasta does not stick. Then serve, with fresh sweet basil leaves sprinkled over. No cheese.

Version two. Take a piece of braising beef ( small will do), a small piece of veal and a small piece of pork. Keep whole. Sweat off: onion, garlic, 1/2 stick celery, 1/2 carrot, fresh parsley and one rasher of bacon, all finely chopped in the food processor. Use EVOO to do this. Add the meat and brown all over. Add white wine to taste, turn up the heat to evaporate off the alcohol, and reduce the liquids. Then add the tomatoes, enough to cover well all the meat. Simmer for three hoursat a low heat. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Sieve the sauce for the pasta, and reserve the meat for the second course, with mashed potatoes. Cheese on the pasta allowed in this case.

This version is my absolute favourite - I could eat it forever!!

OMG Dianne,

The first recipe is a lot like I use but the second - WOW - sounds devinely sinful!!!!!

Your mention to mashed potatoes remind me (and I still do this today) is when I was little my mother would always serve chili over mashed potatoes. You have got to try it like that just one time. It works especially nice when unexpected people drop over to stretch that pot of chili!!!! LOL (speaking from experience, of course :D )

Thanks for both those recipes.

Bitter tomato sauce

Hi there Kitchenelf!!

Thanks for the post. It's good to hear from you. Glad you liked the second recipe - it is really the *classic* tomato sauce for pasta, and you can do it in a slow cooker and let it do all day. The remaining meat is also very good in meatloaf, again with mashed potatoes.

I shall certainly do Chili with mashed potatoes, as you suggest. I have a recipe for chili, but am not sure how genuine it is - you know how it is, with travel, these recipes tend to become corrupted!!! Could you post me your recipe? Then I will do it, and will know really what your mother made for you that you remember so fondly:)

Bitter Tomato Sauce

Dianne,

Thanks for the recipes. The second one really sounds great. I'll try it sometime fairly soon. It should make a great Friday night dinner for my husband and I. I love meals I can cook all day in the crock pot and and eat when we get home. Question. If veal isn't available what would be a good substitute?

Bitter Tomatoe Sauce

Slow tomato sauce: if veal isn't available, leave it out!, but put a little extra pork in instead. Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you - we've been setting up a new computer so I've been offline for a few days!

I like to serve the 'slow' tomato sauce with fine spaghetti (spaghettini), not thick spaghetti. Somehow it tastes better:D

Love

Dianne

Bitter Tomato SAuce

>>Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you - we've been setting up a new computer so I've been offline for a few days! <<

No problem. I understand.

The idea of serving it with fine spaghetti sounds good. It should also be good with angel hair pasta.

bitter tomato sauce

Hello again!!!:D

Angel hair spaghetti may be a bit tooooo fine - but anyway, if you think it could be good, try it and let me know the results

ciaoooissimo

dianne

Bitter Tomato Sauce.

I will. Sometime soon after we've recovered from Thanksgiving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom