Aero (hydroponic) Garden questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:)Didn't know where to put this.Does anyone own one and do you think about it.For those who dont know what it is its a small hydroponic gardening green house with grow lights and run its self automatically you can grow herbs or lettuce etc.

img_510608_0_2c868757e4ff1c4b8137794bb8e47646.gif

I guess it's just you and me, kid. lol

I'd like to get one, but the price seems a tad high. How much are the seed pod thingys?

:)The price is high but Im getting mine free with my reward points on my credit card.I first read all the reviews on Amazon.The pods are expensive $20.00 plus shipping to get a 4 month supply of Romaine.But I was reading the discussion on it at Amazon and some people have figured out how to create their own using rock wool and Miracle Grow etc.The also sell a kit for $40.00 that just has the pods,nutrients etc that is supposed to last a year.Before I get in too deep buying kits Im going to use the Romaine Kit first and then try making my own pods etc. I need to see how well this thing produces.

A friend of mine at work has 'several' of these and loves them. He has brought me some Italian Basil and it was wonderfully green, clean, and tasty. I have looked into them myself and found them a bit pricey. I am seriously considering having one of these things in my home so I can have fresh herbs all year round! My friend has had great success with them, I really don't see how you could go wrong if you have the funds to do so.

Hydroponics Yes.
Aero, never tried that?

it`s good to know a little Chemistry in order to make a success of it though, I can`t imagine that fact being any different for your version either.

I'm tagging this thread so I can see what others have to say about this thing. I've been trying to convince myself to shell out the $150 bucks for it every time I go into Bed, Bath & Beyond, but haven't been successful as yet because I keep getting scared off by the fact the pods aren't really what I'm after.

It's too much work to grow my own romaine (and how many salads would I have to eat before that $150 initial investment paid for itself?), I rarely use basil, and I don't like having "mixed" herbs and greens. If they had come out with pods that grow just chives or just thyme or the like I'd have probably bought it by now, but alas.

Last edited:
lol..just get some big pots and some grow lights..can set up in garage or an extra room..where ever you want..buy the seeds you want. Then you can move them outside when the weather is right.

LOL....
I got the Chia Herb garden. Beloved wife wanted to get me an Aero, but
we decided it was too pricey and a bit gimmicky.
Besides, she's a botanist, kinda... at least on the genetic level, LOL!

Now, to figure out how to keep the cats out of the window and herbs!

(I do think the Aeros are pretty darn nifty, though!)

i saw that on an infomercial last year -- thought it would be a great gift for my dad, I had already brought his gift, so I figure this year I would order him one. My mom beat me to the punch she brought on for him-- he was thrilled. She got his at a Pennys Store. It was 120.00. They have a website AeroGarden®

pennys were selling the seed kits

It sure doesn't have much room.
You can put together something better yourself, for a lot less money, by hanging a regular fluorescent light fixture from a chain under your kitchen cabinets. You can use a grow light, but a regular daylight white bulb will work just fine. The important thing is that it is close enough to the plants, and you can regulate that by moving the light up and down the chain.
Plant your seeds in separate 4-5" pots, as not all need the same amount of water, and set them under the light.
If you want to do the hydroponic thing, I'm sure you could rig something up with one of those long trays you use for wetting pre-pasted wallpaper.

Well, I went ahead, bit the bullet, and bought one of these things. I obviously don't have any product to taste test yet, but so long as it works, I guess it's not going to be a purchase I regret, though not something I am going to brag about, either.

On the upside, it does have a fairly stylish look, it's efficient, it's pretty much idiot-proof, and once I took a look at some of the pods, I figured an easy way to MacGuyver my own pods (for a lot less money) that contain whatever the heck I want them to contain. Whether my idea will ultimately work or not remains to be seen. I'm attempting to grow chives with my jimmy-rigged "pod".

On the downside, it's a bit bulky--I actually don't even have mine in my kitchen; I've put it on my breakfast bar in my dining room. The pods (if you choose to buy them) are expensive, and some of their choices are head scratchers (Dill? Seriously? Dill will take over your entire house if you let it; I don't even want to think what it will do in a limited space environment like that). And the price is offputting a bit--but hey, it's only money in the end, right? Not like one can't just go and get more.

Could someone make something like this on their own with grow bulbs and installing fixtures and what not? Yeah, sure. I could also break down the wall separating our library from my den and then transform my den into the ultimate man-space. Doesn't mean I want to (OK, I want to, but it doesn't mean I have the motivation, inclination, time or energy to do that much work--and the Lady of the House would not only kill me, she would start nagging me to fix other things around the house again since I was feeling so "handy").

Conclusion: It's not going to be the proudest purchase you ever make, but you're not gonna kick yourself over it like you would if you bought Chef Tony's Abomination Blades, the pasta express or whatever other ridiculous infomercial product of the week is begging for your dollar.

Well, I went ahead, bit the bullet, and bought one of these things. I obviously don't have any product to taste test yet, but so long as it works, I guess it's not going to be a purchase I regret, though not something I am going to brag about, either.

On the upside, it does have a fairly stylish look, it's efficient, it's pretty much idiot-proof, and once I took a look at some of the pods, I figured an easy way to MacGuyver my own pods (for a lot less money) that contain whatever the heck I want them to contain. Whether my idea will ultimately work or not remains to be seen. I'm attempting to grow chives with my jimmy-rigged "pod".

On the downside, it's a bit bulky--I actually don't even have mine in my kitchen; I've put it on my breakfast bar in my dining room. The pods (if you choose to buy them) are expensive, and some of their choices are head scratchers (Dill? Seriously? Dill will take over your entire house if you let it; I don't even want to think what it will do in a limited space environment like that). And the price is offputting a bit--but hey, it's only money in the end, right? Not like one can't just go and get more.

Could someone make something like this on their own with grow bulbs and installing fixtures and what not? Yeah, sure. I could also break down the wall separating our library from my den and then transform my den into the ultimate man-space. Doesn't mean I want to (OK, I want to, but it doesn't mean I have the motivation, inclination, time or energy to do that much work--and the Lady of the House would not only kill me, she would start nagging me to fix other things around the house again since I was feeling so "handy").

Conclusion: It's not going to be the proudest purchase you ever make, but you're not gonna kick yourself over it like you would if you bought Chef Tony's Abomination Blades, the pasta express or whatever other ridiculous infomercial product of the week is begging for your dollar.

:)I think you are going to be very happy with it. Its totally idiot proof I'm growing romaine lettuce and it ready to start harvesting you only take a third of each plant and it will regrow more leaves. There is a whole forum on the Aero Grow on Amazon and some people are aleady adapting it to other methods as opposed to buying the pods. Some are saving the plastic domes and using something called rock wool as the growing medium and using miracle grow which would cost pennies.

Back
Top Bottom