A sad thing happened in our town today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
They had a fire at the animal shelter here this morning, probably due to a faulty heater. 48 cats and 15 dogs died in the fire. One of our local firefighters went into the burning building, cutting the locks off the cages and opening the doors, and then carried out all the little ones he could. One was a little black lab puppy who wasn't even weaned yet. His mother and siblings were killed in the fire.

We don't have much money in our county, and they were just able to put up this pole barn a few years ago, when a lady died and left them ten grand. Before, the animals were kept in pens outdoors with just a tarp for a roof. I sure hope they had insurance.

Our county animal control officer is a real sweetheart, and he never puts an animal down unless it's a dangerous one. He was practically in tears this morning when he was on TV. Thing is, now they have no place to put the animals they did save.

I usually send a donation to the Salvation Army or the local food pantry for Christmas, but I think the animal shelter will get at least part of it this year.

That's so sad.:( I hope the little pup makes it. And thanks to the firefighter that saved all he could. I wish there were more people like that in the world.

:)OMG that is terrible if they cant find a place to keep the ones that were saved perhaps they could go to temporary foster homes in town.I guarantee you alot will be adopted in the end by their foster parents. Why were the cages locked?

I did cry, Buck.
I've been due, anyway. You know how women are. I've been feeling very sentimental about loved ones that are gone, and had it building up for a while. This thing was the last straw.

Jen, there are a lot of nice people in this world. It's just that the bad ones generally get all the attention in the news.

JP, they're saying on the news just now that other area shelters are helping out.
The dogs did have padlocks on their cages, but they fared better than the cats because the fireman got the locks cut in time for some of them to get out. They still had fifty some odd dogs that made it, and tonight, there are only three left that haven't been adopted.
The cats were inside a cage inside a garage, and they didn't fare so well. By the time he got there, he wasn't able to get many out. The ones that did make it are suffering from smoke inhalation and singed whiskers.

Such a sad thing to happen. I'm glad at least some were saved. And maybe the publicity (although not the kind we want to see) will encourage a few people to adopt one of the animals.

:(Barbara

Oh, Connie. I saw the news report and saw the sweet little black lab puppy. I just wanted to hug his sweet little body. The reports of the firefighters who where almost in tears was a tribute to all those sweet ones who were lost. Yes I used "sweet" too many times, but it sooooo applied in this case. Hope all the babies find homes and God bless those who were lost. The whole situation just breaks my heart.

Constance, this is really so sad. I couldn't finish reading your whole post. I'm a huge animal lover and it breaks my heart. We got two kitty's about a year ago after losing both of our kitties to illness last year (our current babies are in my avatar). The animal shelter we rescued them from broke my heart. A no-kill place with at least a hundred lonely hearts in this basement. How I wanted to volunteer there, but it rips my heart out! We love our kitties so much and they give so much love back to us. To think of the souls waiting to be loved just kills me.

End

This is truly very sad. At this time of year, any kind of news about having someone die is hard. Just so this happened quickly. I don't know how fast the fire department would have gotten there for animal facility. Would be different if I were in charge. To have it happen in your town is very upsetting. I only wonder if they will rebuild another one for them. Did they say how it started? Can't you just imagine the sounds that you would hear? Oh dear, I am getting really caught up in this. Just hope the ones that made it find happiness.

I heard on the news last night that out of the 50 dogs they saved, all but three had been adopted. They think the fire started from a faulty heater.

Kitchen, this is a very small town, and our local firefighters have big hearts. I'm sure they got there as quickly as they could. The animal shelter is (was) only about 3 miles from the fire station, but if the heater blew up, I'm sure the fire went really fast through that pole barn.
As for the sounds...I heard them in my mind all night.

Katie, you did not overuse the word sweet. I wanted to get that sweet puppy the minute I saw it, but we have a dog and two cats, and that's all we can take care of.

My heart breaks when this happens. I'm greatful for what the county could do and has done to this point. My prayers and condolences are with you Constance.

That breaks my heart. If I could I'd gladly take the lab puppy. Labs are great pets.
I know this because I have a yellow one right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom