Problem: Pans slide all over my gas cooktop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nivchek

Assistant Cook
I love my cast iron pans, and use them all the time. One of my favorite things about them has always been that since they are heavy, they stay put. But on the new range that was delivered to my house today, they slide like crazy! Does anybody have a fix for this? It's a hassle and feels unsafe. Thanks all!

Nicole

It's strange that heavy cast iron pans would be sliding all over the place. I dunno. Maybe give it some time and when the "new" wears off a bit hopefully they want slide so much!!
In the mean time, be careful with them.

Stay safe, and have a Great Thanksgiving!!!

All of my pans slide around on the grid that covers the gas burner. I have always put it down to the grid not being straight and level when fitted but mine is old. Guess you could take a hammer to the iron grid and make a bit of an indent for them to stop them moving about. I just turn the handles in a manner so that they balance.

Hi Nivchek, I concur with Bob. I have never come across this either. I use cast iron most of the time and have a gas stove. Once the skillet goes down, it stays down. Have you thought about writing the company that made the stove and get their input?

Jim

I got gas and my pans (copper aluminum or cast iron) sat put just fine. If the grates are smooth finished, that may be the cause. Mine are rough finished so the pans don't slide.

Is the stove level? You know, when the stores hire these delivery/installation guys, they give them a urine test, not an IQ test.

funny

Actually, our delivery guys went to great pains to level it well, since the owner of the delivery company was among them. The grid is very glossy and my pans are a bit concave on the bottom. I have always used gas stoves and it's never been this bad. The pans slide when I stir the food. Maybe I should take the grid pieces to a sharpening shop and have them roughened up a bit. Not pretty, but might help.

Thanks for the replies!

Tell the truth, you bought your pots and pans a "Slip and Slide" as an early Christmas present! :D

Sorry I know nothing about stoves, but it sounds like a pain!

Last edited:
Well, it sounds like your grids are enamel coated. And, if your cast iron pots/pans are also enamel coated ... keeping them from slipping around is going to be like trying to get a pat of butter to stick in one spot on a hot windowpane at noon in Phoenix during August.

You could grind the enamel off of the top of the grids ... or find some replacement grids that are just raw cast iron. If your cast iron isn't enamel coated - just use it and slide it around a lot ... it will abrade the surface of the grids. In the meantime - try holding onto the handle(s) as you stir your pots.

thank you Michael

That's the answer I've been looking for. My pans are raw cast iron and the grids are enameled, which must be the problem. I find that I must hold the handles, but see, it cramps my style! ;) I'll just have to wait until the enamel wears down to get my style back (I like not having to find the darn oven mitt over and over!)

Thanks for the brainwave. I feel silly for not putting that one together myself. Someday I share the story of the 3 broken stoves and then it will all make sense.

nicole

Well, it sounds like your grids are enamel coated. And, if your cast iron pots/pans are also enamel coated ... keeping them from slipping around is going to be like trying to get a pat of butter to stick in one spot on a hot windowpane at noon in Phoenix during August.

Too funny, but I don't think you gave enough detail, Michael. Please note that Michael is from Texas and he dissed Phoenix. ROFL

My first thought was that they didn't level it properly. My suggestion: Get a wok and only cook in that. LoL It seems odd that something as heavy as cast iron slides. Hot and heavy sliding off the stove and onto my foot does not sound appealing.

I've had this on all the older gas hobs I've had. I have often dreamed of a new gas hob where I presumed this would not happen.

My grates are enamel coated as well. I can see how certain cookware could not be stable on them. You could rough up the surface on them using your sidewalk.

Nivcheck,
I suggest you contacting the manufacturer, explaining the problem and asking if they can send you replacement uncoated cast iron grates.

That's the answer I've been looking for. My pans are raw cast iron and the grids are enameled, which must be the problem. I find that I must hold the handles, but see, it cramps my style! ;) I'll just have to wait until the enamel wears down to get my style back (I like not having to find the darn oven mitt over and over!)

Thanks for the brainwave. I feel silly for not putting that one together myself. Someday I share the story of the 3 broken stoves and then it will all make sense.

nicole

I have enameled cast iron grates and my raw and enameled cast iron pans don't slide. I suspect the problem is more about the grates having a "crown". That is, they are not flat. You can test this with any known flat object. Lay a flat cutting board or 2x4, etc. across the grates and look to see if there is contact across the entire grate.

IS the problem the same for all four burners?

Nivcheck,
I thought I didn't have this issue so I checked my cast iron gear (all enameled).
The older stuff doesn't slide, a new Dutch oven I have (less than a year old) slides in all the grates (are enameled).
The sliding is a function of the coeficient of friction of the materials and is independant of the contact surface between the grates and pots/pans.
As Jeekinz suggested, roughing one of the surfaces will increase the coeficient of friction and address this issue.

Back
Top Bottom