Edible meat on deep fried turkey breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbb87

Cook
Is there less edible meat on a deep fried turkey breast then on a oven roasted turkey breast?

I was given a deep fried turkey breast because some relatives had cooked too much food. When I cut/sliced it, I noticed that there wasn't nearly as much edible meat on it as there was on the oven roasted turkey breasts that I cook. A lot of the meat on the fried turkey had gristle in it or was fatty. Usually, with the oven roasted ones I can get off a lot of good meat, but this fried one hardly seemed have any.

I suppose it could be the brand, or maybe it was just a fluke.

The cooking method does not add gristle or fatty areas to turkey. I would chalk it up to differences between two turkeys, not two cooking methods.

A deep fried turkey, if properly done, is a juicy product. There may have been less meat because it was a smaller turkey.

My guess would be to blame the turkey, not the fryer. Deep fried always seems to turn out much jucier and tastier to me.

Ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure because it was the first time I've ever had fried turkey and the first time I had a crappy turkey (gristly, tough meat). I thought maybe the two were somehow related.

I'm sure the turkey was the size that I usually get, but it did look smaller. I bet it was a Butterball. The last time I had one of those I was very unhappy with it because it didn't seem to have that much meat despite it's size. I'll have to ask my relatives what kind it was.

BTW, do leftover fried turkeys taste better heated up or eaten cold? Or does it really matter? I wasn't very pleased with the leftovers. I thought it tasted strange but I don't care for turkey anyways. I thought it tasted like used oil that needed to be changed. But then one time I thought the pumpkin pie tasted moldy and everyone else thought it tasted delicious. Perhaps I'm not the best judge.

Ibb87 said:
BTW, do leftover fried turkeys taste better heated up or eaten cold? Or does it really matter? I wasn't very pleased with the leftovers. I thought it tasted strange but I don't care for turkey anyways. I thought it tasted like used oil that needed to be changed.

It really doesn't matter, heated or cold, it's a matter of personal preference. Old oil, used repeatedly, oil that has actually burned, can cause an off taste. Did you see the turkey fried?

Ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure because it was the first time I've ever had fried turkey and the first time I had a crappy turkey (gristly, tough meat). I thought maybe the two were somehow related...

Several members complained of gristly turkeys this year. They seem to be more common.

Back
Top Bottom