Chicken Khorma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansasgirl

Senior Cook
Hey Yakuta (or anyone else!) - what is your recipe for Chicken Khorma? I figure yours is more authentic than mine. I would love for you to post!

Hello

Chicken is made in many ways depending on the region.
In north India it is made in the following style.

I kg chicken cleaned and cut into pieces.
3-4 onions chopped
4 medium sized tomatoes chopped
Ginger and garlic accoording to taste(approx 4-5 cloves garlic 1inch piece of ginger)
1 cup plain yogurt

3-4 pieces of cardamom
1 piece of cinnamon stick
1 tea sp cumin seeds

Oil 2 tb. sp.(any of your choice) or butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Turmeric 1/2 tea spoon
Garam Masala 2 tea sp. (you can get it in any indian store) If not available do not worry

Heat oil / butter in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin seeds, cardamom and cinnamon. Fry for a minute.
Next add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic and fry till light brown and transluscent (5-6 min)
Add the tomatoes and cook till soft.
Now add in salt , pepper and turmeric. Mix well.

Transfer the cleaned and washed chicken to above mixture. add adequate water and cover the pan. Cook till chicken is done. Stir in between. and keep adjusting the water.

Lastly add the yougurt (well beaten). Mix and cook for another 5 min.

The curry should by this time thickly coat the chicken.

Serve hot with a garnish of corainder and garam masala.

ND

ND's recipe is as authentic as it gets.

Korma is such a generic term and so many folks tailor it to suit their taste buds but ND's recipe is how it's normally made. Just one rule to keep in mind is that korma is normally on the dry side. This means that there is very little gravy in it.

I normally make it with both chicken or lamb so keep in mind that it is versatile and you can substitute meat of your choice to make it.

Back
Top Bottom