Buying meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I need to stop tonight at the grocery store to pick up a couple of things. I want to make chili Saturday. Is today too early to buy sirloin? I'd use it Saturday morning and I don't want to necessarily freeze it.

I think it would be fine, most has 3-4 days before you have to do something with it.

I'm sure it would be fine, but I would not buy it if I can help it. If you could buy it the day before.

Ground meat I don't like to keep unfrozen for more than two days.

Whole or cubed portions of meat will keep longer.

The germs that can contaminate the meat are on the surface, and when the stuff is ground it is mixed in.

Just my take on things.

Oh heck, go to Walmart.
The "solution" should keep it fresh.... maybe forever!

Seriously, if the Buy By date makes to Friday, you should be fine.

Oh heck, go to Walmart.

:LOL: That's a good one... Walmart's "solution".....

Those dates mean nothing around here. I was just talking about some chicken I was going to cook that had gone bad on the "sell by" date, not the "use by" date. I've had all kinds of meats expire before they were supposed to and my refrigerator hovers right around freezing temp.... just ask my sliced American cheese that barely separates ;)

If it were me and I didn't want to go back to the store, I'd stick it in the freezer for a day and then move it to the fridge.

Oh heck, go to Walmart.

Well, for one, Walmart doesn't carry the meat I use and for two, you'd have to strike me down and smack me over the head if I ever buy Walmart meat for my chili. I would rather die than use Walmart meat in my chili (not to mention, they don't cut it for me). I buy sirloin and have the butcher cut and grind it for me.

Back
Top Bottom