Gertrude's German Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansasgirl

Senior Cook
This is SO good and easy. A really great breakfast recipe.

Gertrude's German Pancakes
1/4 c Goat cheese, softened
1/4 c Milk
1/2 c AP flour
3 Eggs
1 tb Sugar
1/4 ts Salt
3 tb Butter, unsalted

Preheat oven to 400F
1.Blend the cheese, milk, flour, eggs, sugar and salt in a blender until smooth and set aside.
2.Melt the butter in a large skillet - cast iron is best. Pour in the batter and bake for 25 minutes or until the sides are puffy and the top is brown.
3.Serve pancake immediately. Serve in the skillet with sauteed apple or peach slices and fresh whipped cream.

Kansasgirl: I am pleased to see that you’ve authentically included cheese (the chèvre choice is a good one!) in your German pancake recipe. Your version would be called Pfannkuchen mit Beerenquark -- that is, if you’d like to add some fresh berries. Somewhat amusingly, pfannkuchen are also known as Dutch babies!

My basic pfannkuchen has these proportions: 4 eggs, 4 fl. oz. milk, 4 oz. flour, 2 tsp granulated sugar, pinch salt, and butter for the cast-iron skillet. A variety of toppings can be added, such as chopped ham, diced sweet peppers, Seville-orange marmalade, and sautéed apple slices.

For a richer pancake, I use this recipe from Cucina alla Tedesca (1982): 3 eggs, 8 fl. oz. milk, 1-1/3 cups flour, pinch salt, 1 lb. (drained) cottage cheese processed with 1/3 cup granulated sugar & 4 fl. oz. milk, and about 1½ cups fresh raspberries. (Actually, I think this recipe is more Austrian in origin than German: In Austria they are called Palatschinken. The most famous there is the Topfenpalatschinken filled with a cottage cheese base filling, then cream is poured over them and then they are baked in oven until the cream is absorbed. The recipe for Cheese Palatschinken published in Jules J. Bond's The Viennese Cuisine I Love is one I can recommend.)

I like your recipe too - it does seem much richer! Thanks for all the info!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom