Tabasco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I used the required 2 ounces of Tabasco in my chili (just starting right now) and I can smell the vinegar in the Tabasco. I don't remember this problem in the past. Will that vinegar smell go away over the next few hours? It will ruin the chili. I really don't remember that vinegar smell in past bottles.

Tobasco is a vinegar-type hot sauce. It's always been that way. I don't think it will ruin your chili though. Did you shake the bottle well before using it?

Try Franks Hot Sauce. Thicker, nice garlic flavor, not as vinegary.
And the bottles are great to re-use! :)

Try Franks Hot Sauce. Thicker, nice garlic flavor, not as vinegary.
And the bottles are great to re-use! :)

For chili, if I was going to add heat from a bottle, I always liked using that Sriracha sauce..... that stuff in the clear bottle with the green cap and the Asian writing on it. But that doesn't help Callisto at this point ;)

Vinegars Vapor pressure being what it is will work in your favor :)

look here: Phenobarbitol Drug Development - 5. Acid-Base Equilibria

you will see that heating upsets the equilibrium, and as long as it doesn`t react with your food (and there`s nothing to react with trust me), it will just go away and leave the heat, although Capsciacin a Hydrocarbon is subject to the same rules and so you`ll lose a little heat too, but not much.

hope that helps a little :)

I've already stated this before. I find it interesting that many people find Frank's Hot sauce to have less vinaiger flavor that Tobasco Sauce. To me, the opposite is true. And Louisiana Hot Sauce, I just can't use the stuff. If you want bottled heat in the future, try some Insanity sauce, just a few drops at a time. There are also some very good habenero pepper sauces.

Fresh pepper are always best, if available, followed by dried peppers. The fresh peppers have other flavors that are usually lost in processing. They add the magic to the chili, if you know what I mean.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks everyone, especially YT for that scientific explanation.

I've always used a special garlic tabasco or garlic hot sauce that they no longer make. Along with 5 green jalapenos, some other small peppers, and green peppers. Right now it's extra hot (didn't buy enough cans of tomatoes) and I still have some Anaheim chilis to put in. Hopefully that smell will mellow out like YT and everyone says. I had some other chili sauce from Trader Joes where the first ingredient isn't vinegar. I'm using it instead of the Tabasco for the other 2 ounces I'm supposed to add. It's 18 quarts of chili.

I'm with you Goodweed. I think Frank's Hot Sauce has as much vinegar as Tabasco. It's the vinegar that helps give Tabasco it's unique flavor and I don't know why anyone would want it to go away. Tabasco is still one of the most popular and best tasting of the hot sauces and gives chili an awesome kick, not just with a little heat but with tons of flavor.
BUT I have to disagree that Insanity or habanero sauce should be used in chili. I guess they're okay if you just want a lot of heat, but they impart very little flavor.

Gosh, I love hot sauces and use them very liberally, even on salads.

And typically use the vinegar based ones.

But I cannot magine being able to taste the vinegar in chili.

My guess is that after cooing it will not be recognizable.

If it is recognizable, then that would be a good excuse to try putting chocolate in your chili ;)

If it is recognizable, then that would be a good excuse to try putting chocolate in your chili ;)

I have used chocolate in my chili for years and it makes the chili taste very good. You really don't know it's chocolate, at least you shouldn't if it's done right, but the chili turns out with a delicious depth of flavor that is surprising.

I have used chocolate in my chili for years and it makes the chili taste very good. You really don't know it's chocolate, at least you shouldn't if it's done right, but the chili turns out with a delicious depth of flavor that is surprising.

In my home town, a delicious depth of flavor is the surest way to lose a chili cookoff.:ROFLMAO: And that's all I'm gonna say about that!

I've added cinnamon before and that gives it a little something special, too. Like chocolate, you don't want to overdo it to where you can tell what it is.
I saw Callista exploring the chocolate option in that specific thread after I posted this. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Sometimes you need to "repair" something you've worked hard on. That could probably be a forum topic on its own.....

In my home town, a delicious depth of flavor is the surest way to lose a chili cookoff.:ROFLMAO: And that's all I'm gonna say about that!

Well, I added one square of chocolate and wasn't impressed at first. It's cooked in and it's better. It was probably just that I knew it was chocolate but DD didn't and she loved it this time around.

Tabasco is aged in oak barrels,,that's what gives it its' flavor..I have never been crazy about tabasco sauce myself, although I do like their habanero sauce. I like Louisiana Hot Sauce for just adding to a bowl of something. It has peppers listed first in the ingredients. I look at the ingredients in hot sauces and if vinegar is listed first I don't buy it. For chili I like to use ground cayenne. If I put any peppers in it I use poblano or fresh jalapenos. Not everybody in my family likes stuff as hot as I do.

when liquid items are at simmering heat and vinegar is added your going to get a strong vinegar flavor, espeacially the aroma. It evaporates fast and can really give you a kick in the olefactory! As Aunt Dot said, it will definatly reduce in intensity after its cooled

as far as Frank's versus Tabasco I'm going to go with Frank's as containing the most vinegar. Its a rather diluted hotsauce with the main ingredient being vinegar. Thats why it comes in a big bottle as opposed to tabasco, which is a bit more concentrated and contains less vinegar and more chile, thus the reason its in a small bottle. (and stretches much further with same amount of drops)

2 oz is alot of tabasco!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom