Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Has anyone seen, bought and/or tried this appliance yet?

I saw it advertised in a commercial on the Fod Network and thought that I'd try it. Now I'm so glad that I did!

I got so sick and tired of the bags for the larger vacuum sealers because they just won't retain their vacuum seal and they keep on working themselves loose!

The machine works with the Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Seal bags which come in 1-qt. and 1-gallon sizes. The bags work great and so far, they have not become loose around the food! They help keep damaging air away from the food so that there is no freezer burn and food spoilage.

Last edited:
:LOL:Im Cory and Im a gadgetholic.:LOL::LOL:
And yes so am I.:LOL:My friends call me gadget girl because I always come home with a new gadget.
Has anyone seen in the new Maxim magazine how to make a tasor from a disposable camera?Pretty cool.Dont hink I will make one but will save instructions

You're welcome, Michelemarie! You can can get it at your local supermarket, along with the bags, which are right next to it on the shelf.:):chef:

Last edited:
How is it different from a foodsaver? Got a link or pic?

Here is the website.
Alcoa: Reynolds Handi-Vac
I've not tried it but am interested. I have a FoodSaver but it is really bulky and takes a lot of counter space. There are times when I want to freeze just one bag and don't pull it out because it is so big. This little thing would fit right in my drawer with the bags. I think I will try it out.

You're welcome, Michelemarie! You can can get it at your local supermarket, along with the bags, which are right next to it on the shelf.:)

I thought that it might be interesting news to others, but it seems as though I was wrong, for I'm now being poked at for posting the info!!:mad::mad:
:huh:Aw come on Cory Im just having a little fun.I will be looking for it as well and if it seems more convinient than dragging out the food saver then I must have onel. :):):)

Hey, that's pretty cool. No more trimming down the bags until they are no longer practical to keep. I like that ziploc idea. I wonder if they're dishwasher safe like the FS bags.... I like the battery power, too.
This seems more practical than a FS for items such as cheese that get tosssed back into the fridge after use. I think I just found my sister's Christmas present!

Sorry y'all, but I DID take it as offensive. My bad.

Maybe, I would have thought it would be better if you say; "Corey, how many gadgets DO you have now?" Or; "Corey, how do you think that this latest gadget will hold up, since you don't like the vacuum bags that are used with the other machines?"

I don't know. I am a fan of gadgets though.

Thanks, jabbur!

Hey, that's pretty cool. No more trimming down the bags until they are no longer practical to keep. I like that ziploc idea. I wonder if they're dishwasher safe like the FS bags.... I like the battery power, too.
This seems more practical than a FS for items such as cheese that get tosssed back into the fridge after use. I think I just found my sister's Christmas present!

I kind of thought though, that this would catch on.

Sadly, they are NOT DW safe, but they CAN be reopened to let you take what you think you might need from the bags, reclosed and then revacuum sealed again.

You can conveniently wash them by hand though. You're supposed to throw the bag away when it's emptied, but there is no law that says you can't try to reuse them which I plan to do.

I'd like to see them make even larger bags to become available - large enough for roasts. But I imagine that it might take some time before they do.

Yeah, I like the fact that the bags do not require any heat to seal them up!
No precutting, no placing the open end of the bags into a chamber and no excess bag waste that would come from being forced to do that.

Last edited:
I kind of thought though, that this would catch on.

Sadly, they are NOT DW safe, but they CAN be opened to let you take what you think you might need from the bags, reclose them and revacuum seal them again.

You can conveniently wash them by hand though. You're supposed to throw the bag away when it's emptied, but there is no law that says you can try to reuse them which I plan to do.

I'd like to see them make even larger bags to become available - large enough for roasts. But I imagine that it might take some time before they do.

How do they compare in weight/thickness to the regular ziploc bags?

Here's a review that I wrote on the product at this website; Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer Hand held Review at Viewpoints.com .

These bags are thicker than the regular ziplock bags. There is also a textured liner inside to help with the vacuum sealing process.

They also feel slightly heavier than the regur ziplock bags.

Air is the primary enemy of foods stored in the freezer. Most bacteria and frozen food spoilage has to thrive on air being around the food in order to become a parasite or a hanger-on and ruin the food.

With these unique bags, freezer burn is gone and so is frozen food spoilage. I used to think that food stored in the freezer couldn't spoil.

I just got so sick and tired of the other vacuum seal bags working themselves loose and still ending up with freezer-burned food. These bags seem to be holding up so far. No signs yet of them losing their vacuum sealings.

Also, the co. has filed for a patent pending so that the other freezer bag co's. can't make copycat versions for their frozen food storge bags.

Last edited:
Alternative vac sealer

I bought this item after considering Foodsaver a few years ago. It comes from a manufacturer that also makes commercial equipment and makes the bags themselves.
SnorkelVac VS-280 - SorbentSystems.com

It is a snorkle type and uses plain (non-textured) bags, which were much cheaper than the Foodsaver bags.

You can continue to pull vacuum until all the air is out of the bag, and ,generally, the bags stay fully sealed indefinitely.

My vs280 is about 4 years old now and I've sealed about 1K bags. Still holding up well.

I've had mine since the week it came out and I love it. I find only one problem. The bags are "perfected" in the manufacturing process, at least that's why I believe. Sometimes they lose the seal no matter what you do. But 13 out of 14 bags being usable is fine with me. I've hand washed the bags and reused them, the ones that don't have issues.

I find you really need to listen to it, if you suck too long, the bags can pop. The machine changes pitch when you have all the air out.

I've wanted a food saver forever, but not any more. I'm sold on this little gadget.

A bunch of people on Amazon speak highly of them, too. I took a look.
Corey, what problem are you experiencing with your FS bags? You say they are popping open in the freezer?
I just took possesion of a front quarter of beef that came in vaccuum sealed plastic bags. I wonder if this popping open is something I should look for? Bad seals maybe? Could you explain please?

There are many reasons that bags can pop open, and it is not the fault of Foodsavers. Food can poke holes in the bag, for instance, which will break the seal.

There are many reasons that bags can pop open, and it is not the fault of Foodsavers. Food can poke holes in the bag, for instance, which will break the seal.

Good point, GB. Also, once food is frozen it has defined edges and in the process of moving things around in the freezer, these edges can be abraded and break the seal.

You're welcome, Michelemarie! You can can get it at your local supermarket, along with the bags, which are right next to it on the shelf.:):chef:

Corey

People on Chowhound rave about this thing. But when I asked about it at my Stop and Shop they looked at me like I had 2 heads (i do, but they didn't have to stare ...:mad:)

Where have you seen them?

Back
Top Bottom