Pets and Lead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:mad:Our local Albuquerque news did a piece where one of their reporters wondered about lead in our pets toys,ceramic painted feeding bowls etc.She bought a whole bunch and tested them well to no surprise they have lead in them as well as the kid toys.Well crap why did I not snap to that its so obvious as these items come from China as well.I just bought a Christmas Stocking real cheap with pet toys I was just about to give them to the dogs as they love toys.Needless to say they wont get them.The report found a bird cage loaded with stuff of course they would hafto ingest it to be harmful.But as we know dogs like to chew and eat things especially the young ones.Also their is no authority that monitors this type of thing.
So I thought I would give everyone a heads up on this.

You haven't seen Duece EAT his toys, Oreo's toy, the grandbabies' toys, my shoes, my house, the rug.....

Thanks for the heads up, JP. BTW, (how can I put this delicately) do raw hides give other dogs intestinal gas? My dog loves them but no one wants to sit next to her, especially after she gets a new one. The long rolled ones aren't as bad but the "flavored" pig skin ones are real killers. Does anyone else have this issue?

My shoes were leather, Oreo is still raw, and most of his toys are raw hide. Have even given him real beef leg bones(front shin), they last about a week!! LOL

gas

Thanks for the heads up, JP. BTW, (how can I put this delicately) do raw hides give other dogs intestinal gas? My dog loves them but no one wants to sit next to her, especially after she gets a new one. The long rolled ones aren't as bad but the "flavored" pig skin ones are real killers. Does anyone else have this issue?
Oreo did but she doesn't get to have rawhide chews anymore...DEUCE:devilish: steals them from her when I am not looking, and hides them.

I try not to give my dogs anything where flavor has had to be added back in to get them to eat it, but different things affect different dogs different ways.
My GSD can't tolerate raw beef bones. They give her diarrhea. One of my other current dogs and one who has passed away had no problem at all with them, even though they were not given regularly. Anyway, to keep things harmonious in my little "pack", I stopped giving them entirely.
However..... one of these dogs who had no problem with raw bones will get gassy if I feed her just a tad too much of her kibble. Weird.

I sell rawhides, American made ones, but I only give my own poochies bully sticks. The Brazillion ones where no hormones have been added, NOT the Petsmart ones (Ranch Rewards I believe). Bully sticks are less messy and last longer than rawhides.

Wow, Pacanis, bully sticks are new to me. I must have seen them in pet stores before but I guess I thought they were just another raw hide. I did a google search and voila, I found lots of sources for them, including the Brazilian ones you recommend. Actually, it's just as you said - everyone recommends them. Thanks for educating me. I only have one dog now so I don't have pack issues except when my friend visits with her dogs. That's when Bella gets the flavored ones - she steals them from her dachshund buddies. She can do this with impunity because she's 80 lbs and her large rawhide bones are way too big for the wiener dogs to get in their mouths! But I'm going to get some of these bully sticks and see if it addresses her gas problem.

Last edited:
Most dogs, mine included, will chew them right down to nothing, but I've seen one dog swallow the stick when it gets down to a couple inches, throwing it back up later of course :(
I've also seen a dog gagging on his kibble to where I needed to address the situation, yet people still feed their dogs :LOL:
Like any toy or chew, see how your dog does with them.

Bella chews bones and rawhides right down to nothing but I've never seen her choke (yet). It's funny, she used to love to steal my youngest son's stuffed toys and seemed to just hoard them, which was great until we discovered she systematically chews out all the eyes and discards them. (Maybe she's related to DawnT's devil dog!) This freaked my son out so we had to teach her she could only have toys we specifically gave to her.

;)My dogs dont have a problem with gas but Lobo our shepard would choke on the flat square raw hides I had to pull them out his throat several times so I gave those away he has no problem with bone shaped ones. He would chew a big corner off on the flat ones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom