Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Letters home from school (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/letters-home-from-school-40632.html)

Callisto in NC 12-02-2007 05:28 PM

Letters home from school
 
Okay, so we had a case of MRSA and the new principal sent a letter home. The letter is just this side of pathetic with grammar errors. Is it wrong to expect the principal to send home a correctly worded, grammatically correct letter? Even if his secretary wrote it, he should proof it, or have the English department proof it, before signing. Don't you think? Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? This is a High School principal, the possible last leader some children will have before going out into the real world. Shouldn't he make sure the letters he signs his name to are correct?

Or am I just expecting too much?

kitchenelf 12-02-2007 05:45 PM

I guess I'm at a different stage in life. Maybe the important thing that day was getting the letter out. If it makes you feel better by all means say something. Where it will get you other than known as "that lady" I'm not sure :lol:

jpmcgrew 12-02-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callisto in NC (Post 515831)
Okay, so we had a case of MRSA and the new principal sent a letter home. The letter is just this side of pathetic with grammar errors. Is it wrong to expect the principal to send home a correctly worded, grammatically correct letter? Even if his secretary wrote it, he should proof it, or have the English department proof it, before signing. Don't you think? Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? This is a High School principal, the possible last leader some children will have before going out into the real world. Shouldn't he make sure the letters he signs his name to are correct?

Or am I just expecting too much?

:smile:No you are right they should have perfect grammar and punctuation.
I certainly dont all though I try I used to know it all but never really needed to use it much until I came here and to think I used to great grades for it.
However I do think I get my messages across

Callisto in NC 12-02-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm at a different stage in life. Maybe the important thing that day was getting the letter out. If it makes you feel better by all means say something. Where it will get you other than known as "that lady" I'm not sure http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...milies/lol.gif
Well, since the school knows I was the assistant to the PR director at the school district, they might know my thought process.

jpmcgrew 12-02-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchenelf (Post 515842)
I guess I'm at a different stage in life. Maybe the important thing that day was getting the letter out. If it makes you feel better by all means say something. Where it will get you other than known as "that lady" I'm not sure :lol:

:smile:Yes as we get older its kind of ok but people working in the academic world must know this stuff.

Callisto in NC 12-02-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmcgrew (Post 515857)
:smile:Yes as we get older its kind of ok but people working in the academic world must know this stuff.

And that's where I'm coming from. This isn't from any old company, it's from the man leading the school teaching my daughter and grading her on her English skills.

mikki 12-02-2007 06:26 PM

I got a letter home like that and my kids,who actually noticed the mistakes before me, were wondering what kind of grade they would get if they wrote something like that so we copied the letter without the school letter head or signature and they took it to their English teacher and asked them to edit it. You should have seen all the corrections. By the end of the day it was all around the school and they must have gotten the point because I have never received another letter like that.

Callisto in NC 12-02-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikki (Post 515872)
I got a letter home like that and my kids,who actually noticed the mistakes before me, were wondering what kind of grade they would get if they wrote something like that so we copied the letter without the school letter head or signature and they took it to their English teacher and asked them to edit it. You should have seen all the corrections. By the end of the day it was all around the school and they must have gotten the point because I have never received another letter like that.

That's great!! Glad the school got the point.

mikki 12-02-2007 06:54 PM

It also made the kids see that everone makes mistakes. As much as we grownups want the kids to believe we are perfect :angel:, I'm sorry to say we are not.:shock:

VeraBlue 12-02-2007 07:30 PM

Unfortunately, composition is one of the first classes to be lost to budget cuts. Before that class comes art, music appreciation, shop and home economics.

Too many people say it is the message that counts, and not the way it is received (or delivered). Hogwash, I say.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.